Android 10 Samsung Tab6, Black screen when trying to remote control

Djeb
Djeb Posts: 2 ✭✭

I am trying to remotely control a Samsung Galaxy Tab 6 running Android 10.  I have the latest verstion of TeamViewer Host running on the tablet and I am able to connect to it from other devices.  I am running the newest version of TeamViewer: Remote Control on all the devices that I'm trying to control it from.

When I connect, I am able to move the other screen around with the mouse but all I see is a Black Screen.  

I looked up Black Screen and found this:

"A black screen on the remote machine has several causes. Most of the cases, however, are due to the following:

• the TeamViewer service is not running correctly
  • the connection is to a computer with no monitor
  • the communication of TeamViewer has encountered an interference/block"

I have restarted the Tablet that the Host is running on.  I have also restarted all the devices that I've tried to connect with.  I get a black screen on an IPAD, an Android phone and a Windows computer.  

What "interference/blocks" am I looking for?  This seems like the issue is related to the Tablet running the Host software since the same thing happens when any device makes the connection.

Help?

Thank you!

Comments

• Djeb
    Djeb Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited January 2022

This is a continuation. I'm still working on this.

I tried running QuickSupport instead of Host and it worked from the PC, IPAD and Android phone. I could see the screen and move between screens. But, I need to remotely control and tablets features and functions.

Once, the very first time I ran QuickSupport, I immediately ran Host afterwards. It worked, I had the screen display and could control everything remotely. It was a thing of beauty. But that only worked once. Everytime I have started Host since, I just get a black screen.

That first time I started QuickSupport, it asked me several questions about access on the tablet. I could kick myself that I didn't screenshot those questions. After that it only asks one question on the tablet, whether I want to allow the screen to be seen and/or recorded. It apparently changes some setting in the tablet when I agree to that. Host doesn't appear to have control of that setting?

Now I've gotten to do what I want once and can't repeat it and I couldn't have to start QuickSupport anyway because I will be controlling this remotely and the person who will have the tablet is not capable of operating it. I need to be able to complete control it remotely. 

I'm doing this so I can start **Third Party Product** conferences with my mom who is in a retirement home and can't come out. She can no longer even accept a **Third Party Product** call. She is so lonely. If I can do this I can connect her by video to her children and grandchildren. I'd appreciate any ideas anyone has. Thank you!

• vncvdb
    vncvdb Posts: 2

Sadly I don't have any solution, similar problem here. Help would be greatly appreciated.

I was able to see the remote tablet screen 2 weeks ago from a Windows laptop. Yesterday I tried with a Mac: black screen. Tried on my phone (galaxy s10) and it worked once, however after changing a setting on the remote tablet (force landscape mode in Nova Launcher), I had to restart the remote tablet. After that, black screen whatever I try..

• vncvdb
    vncvdb Posts: 2

Just a thought, no time to check it at the moment:

Maybe you can install Tasker in the remote tablet. Tasker can schedule processes, such as starting the Teamviewer app in the morning. Maybe that will make the host app work again, at least for once. Not pretty, but it might do the trick for you? 

• Smc2
    Smc2 Posts: 7 ✭✭

Hi @Djeb @vncvdb 

I have this same tablet and I have this issue (black screen, can control).

However this only happens in landscape mode, not in portrait.

If you start the session in portrait you can then switch to landscape and it still works fine.

There is something wrong with Teamviewer Host (I'm running beta 15.10.102 HM at the moment) and the Samsung galaxy tab A (android 10, one ui 2.1, kernel 4.4.177-19577611, knox 3.5).

I've tried connecting from both Windows (15.10.5) and android apps (no beta access here so 15.8.115 CL).

Running the tablet vertically is not as solution as I am currently running this tablet as a landscape clock for a vulnerable elderly person. 

Interim solution could be to install Skype and enable auto accept calls from trusted contacts. 

• Smc2

@Djeb @vncvdb 

Did some further testing:

If the tablet is in portrait Teamviewr works (shows screen + can control) HOWEVER if within the session I switch to 'Landscape mode' then control becomes very limited (basically cannot use the home/back/App overview buttons are not accesible, I can show all apps by swiping up but I cannot actually launch any of them etc...)

My workaround for the time being is:
    - to use an automation software (TASKER) so that upon starting a first teamviewer session Tasker forces the tablet into portrait mode.
    - Then I make a new Teamviewer session where I do any changes necessary and before terminating it I restore the tablet back to Landscape mode.

Funnily the IM/Videochat APP Skype was not allowing automatically incoming calls (it prompts a dialogue where you actively have to click accept) but it's LITE version did work as intended.

I think this Samsung UI + ANDROID 10 + Security updates have a few compatibility issues. It is no excuse for Teamviewer  or other developpers not too look into it to improve their products (actually, to make them work as intended?).

I hope this can help anyone.

• ssoler
    ssoler Posts: 3
  • ssoler

@Smc2 wrote:

@Djeb @vncvdb 

Did some further testing:

If the tablet is in portrait Teamviewr works (shows screen + can control) HOWEVER if within the session I switch to 'Landscape mode' then control becomes very limited (basically cannot use the home/back/App overview buttons are not accesible, I can show all apps by swiping up but I cannot actually launch any of them etc...)

My workaround for the time being is:
    - to use an automation software (TASKER) so that upon starting a first teamviewer session Tasker forces the tablet into portrait mode.
    - Then I make a new Teamviewer session where I do any changes necessary and before terminating it I restore the tablet back to Landscape mode.

Funnily the IM/Videochat APP Skype was not allowing automatically incoming calls (it prompts a dialogue where you actively have to click accept) but it's LITE version did work as intended.

I think this Samsung UI + ANDROID 10 + Security updates have a few compatibility issues. It is no excuse for Teamviewer  or other developpers not too look into it to improve their products (actually, to make them work as intended?).

I hope this can help anyone.

Hello. I have the same problem. But I don't know how can you control in Tasker that a session in Teamviewer Host has been started. Thank you 

• Smc2

@ssoler Hi!

You'd need to set up a profile with the following conditions:
    - an "autonotification intercept" event that when it detects the creation of a HOST notification with a certain text (in this case the notification that tells you screen sharing is currently active)
    - the condition that screen orientation needs to be in automatic

Once these conditions are true then you set a task that switches the orientation mode to PORTRAIT.

For this Tasker needs to be granted permission to Write Secure Settings on your device.
    - You have to set up adb as explained here:
    https://tasker.joaoapps.com/userguide/en/help/ah_adb_setup.html

- And you have to gran permission to write secure setting as explained here: 
    https://tasker.joaoapps.com/userguide/en/help/ah_secure_setting_grant.html

Do you have any experience with automation? How proficient are you with Tasker? If you are a not too versed in computing, etc it may be a bit complex for you to set up, but it's  definitely doable and learnable (I do not mean to be patronising!)

For you to do all this you more than likely need to have physical access to the tablet.

I am currently travelling but will have some more time in coming days if you need more help.

• Hello @Smc2 

I'm not the original poster of this thread, but I'm having almost the exact same issues with my Tab S4 - Teamviewer works fine in Portrait mode, but not in Landscape.

My issue is that if I start the connection when the device is in Landscape, its a black screen. If I start it (or switch to) portrait, I can get it to work.. when I switch to landscape on the tablet, it switches on the PC, but is simply the portrait displayed sideways, and nothing I do on the tablet actually displays on the PC - it's like it's a frozen screenshot

My current "work around" is to use my portrait monitor to access my tablet (I'm using it to draw with while in meetings)

I've poked into Tasker before, and I am pretty sure I have the addons you've detailed in the previous post.

Here's what I'm trying to understand.. If I can emulate your Tasker profile, I'll be able to connect to the tablet and actually see what's happening on the tablet vs it being frozen?

• @Smc2 

Update - I have been able to figure out how to use the tablet in landscape mode without using Tasker! (I found a thread with this post that give me the info I needed)

Instead of using the Host APK, I tried QuickSupport instead, and it worked amazingly well! I was immediately able to connect in landscape without issue.. Ofc it requires me to manually connect by typing in the session code each time, but it worked amazingly well. The only small issue I had is that even with it connected to the charger, it was consuming more battery than it was recharging.. However, that was with a slow charger - I will try again with a USB C rapid charger and see if I fare any better, but maybe give it a try?

• Smc2

Hi @TheAsset !

I am aware Quickconnect works fine but from my tests it requires someone on the tablet to accept the incoming connection (at least on my tablet a Yes/No prompt comes up - I could probably use tasker to automate accepting this instead).
    Also quickconnect does not seem to run as a service normally and, from my tests, it is necessary to run it actively in order to get it working, but maybe I'm wrong!

In any case, for the time being, until Teamviewer Host or samsung software gets fixed, I am okay with my workaround as the tablet is currently at my grandmother's house in another country :)

• Smc2

My issue is that if I start the connection when the device is in Landscape, its a black screen. If I start it (or switch to) portrait, I can get it to work.. when I switch to landscape on the tablet, it switches on the PC, but is simply the portrait displayed sideways, and nothing I do on the tablet actually displays on the PC - it's like it's a frozen screenshot

The issue is similar but not exactly. If I start Teamviewer connection in landscape I do get blackscreen. If I start Teamviewer connection in Portrait and once connected I switch to Landscape then the picture is fine but controls do not work as intended (very limited interaction possible, I think only swipping notification bar/settings down and swipping up app list).

• Th_G
    Th_G Posts: 2

Hi, did you try to turn the tablet into portrait orientation first and then connect?

On my Tab10.1 this solved the same problem.

It seems like "Host" is virtually pressing a button presented by the operating system to enable streaming. In landscape format teamviewer expects the button on an other position than operating system presents. => Check with the Quick Support application instead of host to understand the thesis.

• Smc2

Hi @Th_G 

I am not the original poster, does not seem like they've come back around here sadly.  I feel like I have hijacked this threat :P

But yes Portrait solves the problem, hence why I have automated this with Tasker so I can do this remotely and in an unattended fashion.

@Th_G wrote:

It seems like "Host" is virtually pressing a button presented by the operating system to enable streaming. In landscape format teamviewer expects the button on an other position than operating system presents. => Check with the Quick Support application instead of host to understand the thesis.

I am not 100% sure about the button theory, it is an interesting one but I would expect "Host" as an APP to use a different way to enable the remote connection session without it virtually having to press any button but I cannot say for certain!

In any case it's definitely something for the @TeamViewer  team to look into and fix in the future. Any of these workarounds, wether manually or automatically enabled, are not ideal in any situation. Maybe @Esther could try and pass this information on to the actual team involved in the development.

• marky1124
    marky1124 Posts: 7 ✭✭

I'm replying to say me too. I have the same problem in that if the tablet happens to be in Portrait position then the Host connection works, if it's in landscape then I get a black screen and mouse actions occur but not correctly.

I'm experiencing this with a Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 (2020) running Teamviewer Host 10.15.102-HM. The PC is running 10.15.5. I've also tried with a OnePlus 6 android phone running teamviewer 15.10.140 CL.

Like others on this thread I am building this tablet to give to an elderly relative stuck indoors to enable me to set her up in meetings with friends and family. Her dementia is such that she's not capable of learning how to do this herself.

Please please @TeamViewer look into fixing this or providing some sort of practical workaround.

• Yuri_T
    Yuri_T Posts: 2,256 [Former Staff]

Hi all,

Thank you for your post and your feedback regarding the black screen issue on Samsung devices. 

This is unfortunately a known issue affecting some devices and Samsung is already working on a fix and will be released through firmware update.  Please make sure you update your device regularly. 

For more information on this case, you can also check this page.

Kind regards,
    Yuri

Former Japanese Community Moderator
  • ssoler

@Smc2 Hello. Thank you for your help. What I wanted to do was to "autoanswer" Skype for my disabled relative. So finally I used a Tasker autonotificaction when a Skype call is incomming. And is working perfect.  Then, with Macrodroid, I force to open/activate Youtube 30 minutes after an Skype incomming call, as my relative uses Youtube and he don't know how to interact between applications. But I'll try to follow your instructions for controlling the tablet via HOST, as in some ocasions I need to remotely control my relative's tablet.

• marky1124

Hi @Yuri ,

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply and indicate where the problem lies. Please can you be a little more specific as to what the fix is that I'm waiting for Samsung to produce. The link you've provided doesn't link to a specific problem.

Thanks in advance,

Mark

• Yuri_T
    Yuri_T Posts: 2,256 [Former Staff]

Hi @marky1124

Thank you for your reply?

This is an issue affecting screen collection through Knox which is a Samsung specific issue, so we do not have any further details sorry.

In this case, we can advise that Samsung is aware of the issue and have advised us they will release a fix through a firmware update at some point in the future, but we have not been provided with an ETA.

I apologize for any inconvenience caused and thank you in advance for your understanding.

Kind regards,
    Yuri

Former Japanese Community Moderator
  • marky1124

@Yuri 

Thank you for your reply. I received an update from Samsung yesterday that mentioned Knox, but it did not fix the problem.

• llPac
    llPac Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited December 2020

Hey i solved this on Tab S7+

But it isnt working on Tab A7

Install a app like Rotation Control Pro (it was for free few months ago). There you can give any app a orientation. So i gave the teamviewer Host App a Non Landscape setting. On my s7+ i just need to open after connecting the keyboard an press 3 times space and voila. It works perfectly in bouth orientations.

But this 1 doesnt works on the tab a7. Maby Teamviewer @Esther can put out an version of the host app which starts always in Non Landscape. Or with a button in the app.

So we have a solution for the tab s7 without any external app.

In case of tab a7 maby samsung needs to do something. I just saw that there is no secure folder.

I tryed with the app **Information removed as per Community Guidelines**. Its much slower then teamviewer and it only works if somebody turns on the screen (on tab a7. Tab s7 works perfect). You need to use adb for grand 1 right so you can use unattended access.

I hope this helps some of you, still we get an fix for my favorite app.

• Smc2

Hi all,

I can say this seems to have been fixed on my Galaxy Tab A SM-T510 with samsung's most recent update : T510XXU3BTK1 / T10OXM3BTK1

I am currently runnning Teamviewer Host version 15.13.22 HM and Teamviewer connects and interacts correctly in any orientation.

• Meramson
    Meramson Posts: 1

Figured out host record prompt on my Huawei Matepad T10 Tabled. It wasn't easy task but I finally got it working after hour of research. Now I can remotely connect from the Internet to my tablet which is located elsewhere (home for example) without confirming anything on target device. I don't like companies hiding stuff on personalized android ui.

• ERAG
    ERAG Posts: 10 ✭✭
    edited February 2021

so after almost one year with the same issue and getting realy tired from knox and teamviewer saying its the other ones problem. i switched to **Information removed as per Community Guidelines** and it works allways fine. i also have the physical buttons und works great.

now i have to switch a few hundred devices to **Information removed as per Community Guidelines**. but its still less work then to have to deal with this issue.....

• marky1124

Hi,

I'm just writing to confirm this issue is now fixed for me thanks to the latest Samsung update for the Samsung Galaxy Tab A7. I received update T500XXU3AUC6/T5000XM3AUC6 'security update 1st March 2021' and a quick test afterwards confirmed that I was able to connect to the tablet from my phone even when the tablet was in landscape mode and I could click on buttons, type in values and generally operate it successfully. So thank you for anyone that helped resolve this issue.

Cheers,

Mark