Sunsetting active servicing of operating systems (XP, Vista, Server 2003 and 2008)

2»

Comments

• I have the same problem, unable to connect to an XP computer that worked fine less than 2 months ago. XP PC has TV latest version available:14.2.56676.. Have tried from TV 15.10.5 on a Mac, & Win 10, also from another XP PC running TV 14.2.56676.

Also I get the misleading window telling me the remote PC neds TV update (it has the latest you provide) & offers to show me how to update it, this window can only be closed when I let it open Chrome & display how to update. No opetion to close the pointless window. Have you any idea how anoying that is?

• Esther
    Esther Posts: 4,052 Former Community Manager

Hi all,

Thanks for your feedback.

Did you all make sure to have a valid license activated on your accounts when trying to make the connection to TeamViewer 14? Connections without a license are only possible within the latest TeamViewer version, which is version 15 at the moment. More info here.

For technical connection issues, please keep in mind that TeamViewer is no longer actively servicing Windows XP. However - you are welcome to contact our tech support (keep in mind that submitting a ticket requires a license). If they can help you - they will!

How to submit a ticket  

Thanks and best,

Esther

Former Community Manager

• rbtech
    rbtech Posts: 4 ✭✭

I thought that you didn't need a license for personal use, as that is what I am using TeamViewer for.  The XP version will not upgrade to 15 as it is not activally being serviced, so if I'm understanding your post, anyone using a version of TeamViewer which is less than 15 has to have a license in order for it to work, even if it is for personal use?

• Esther

Hi @rbtech 

You are right: If you are using TeamViewer for personal use only - you do not need a license.

However - on a device running XP you will not be able to use an unlicensed TeamViewer. I am not saying you need to buy a license but maybe check whether you can upgrade the OS to a newer version of Windows like 7, 8 or 10. Those versions are compatible with TeamViewer 15. See also Which operating systems are supported? 

Thanks and best,

Esther 

Former Community Manager

• rbtech
    rbtech Posts: 4 ✭✭

Hi Esther,

Thank-you for letting us know the facts in regard to TeamViewer running on XP.  Upgrading the operating system is always an option, but not in some cases.  It is unfortunate that you have to have a license in order to use the older versions even though it is for personal use.

Again....  Thanks for clearing things up.

• goood 

• alpo52
    alpo52 Posts: 2 ✭✭

I am devastated that Teamviewer has locked out Windows XP support for older computers. I have elderly relatives with older XP computers which I've accessed to help them for many years. They aren't able/willing to learn a new operating system, in addition to the fact that their computers lack the hardware necessary to support a newer operating system. Please continue to allow access to computers running Teamviewer 14 OR allow Teamviewer 15 to work with XP machines. Thank You!!

• Nlo
    Nlo Posts: 1
    edited December 2020

My mom is running Windows Vista and TV 14.2 (last available). I am unable to connect to her TV from TV 15 as it says her version is old. However according to this: https://community.teamviewer.com/English/discussion/49687/sunsetting-active-servicing-of-operating-systems/p1 you are saying:

"incoming connections to XP/Vista/2003/2008 from a remote computer with a higher version of TeamViewer are always possible."

What gives? Should I be able to connect or is your statement above a mistake?

• Esther
    edited December 2020

Hi Nio,

yes - with an active TeamViewer license on the account connections to TeamViewer 14.2 are possible.

TeamViewer 14.2 is the highest Version that runs on Vista/XP.

Without a license only connections within TeamViewer 15 are possible.

Former Community Manager

• mats0916
    mats0916 Posts: 2 ✭✭

Hi @Esther and team,

Quite annoyed reading this announcement with the latest developments of licensing and not being able to connect to older versions of TW without a license.

I have a headless Windows Home Server (basically Windows Server 2003) to which I used to connect using TW. I only use TW for my home network and thus does not need a license.

Changing operating system on my server is obviously not an option. And buying a license is really not an option either.

So I guess I have to look elsewhere for a remote connection software. Too bad because I always thought TW had a good pricing strategy but it seems TW are slowly pushing us free, home users into a licensing prograqm. And that strategy I do not like.

Regards

Mats

• mats0916
    mats0916 Posts: 2 ✭✭

@Esther

You really should change your announcement to clearly state that a license is needed to connect to older versions of TW.

"You can continue using the last supported version of TeamViewer – version 14.2 – on these operating systems. But please be aware that outgoing connections from TeamViewer can only connect to a remote device running the same or lower version of TeamViewer. This means you won’t be able to connect from Windows XP/Vista/2003/2008 to a remote computer running TeamViewer 15, for example. However, incoming connections to XP/Vista/2003/2008 from a remote computer with a higher version of TeamViewer are always possible."

The above paragrapph does not mentioon anything about a license being needed.

Thanks,

Mats

• MrGreg
    MrGreg Posts: 2 ✭✭

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to obtain a copy of 14.2.56673 for an XP box. As others have said. It is not possible to get that version on the previous versions download page. I am offered 14.7. Downloading from the XP box is not possible due to SSL issues with all browsers. Someone posted direct links to make it easy on folks. However they are broken and yield a 404 error.

I am looking for both the installer and portable versions. How can I obtain them.

Thanks

• MrGreg
    MrGreg Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited August 2022

Never mind. I was able to download directly from the previous versions page. The links on the first page are wrong. They should point to version 14.2.56676 not 14.2.56673.

Unfortunately my new account does not allow me to paste the working links. So you will have to add https:// to the front of them and paste into your browser address bar.

dl.teamviewer.com/download/version_14x/14.2.56676/TeamViewerPortable.zip

dl.teamviewer.com/download/version_14x/14.2.56676/TeamViewer_Setup.exe

• shyamjaiswal1980
    shyamjaiswal1980 Posts: 3 ✭✭

How to install my team viewer in computer.

7014255349 Posts: 1

--------------------------------

• GavDaniels
    GavDaniels Posts: 15 ✭✭

As long as you retain backwards compatibility. I can run the latest full version on my laptop or desktop, and leave a V12 or V13 Host Only component on my W2k and WXP machines.

Some of us still have to support some of these operating systems running inside embedded devices.

Drop support for these, and some people will start dropping your product.

Given all of the features you are breaking at present (customized Host, poor Group Policy Support (STILL), Poor Policy Support) loose this and my corporate licensing payments will be lost to you!

• Buddy105
    Buddy105 Posts: 1