Long Key Hold Bug

2»

Answers

• chris83
    chris83 Posts: 1

+1

We really need this sorted, has anyone from TV officially responded to say it's being looked at?

For those of us working in Adobe CC programs, such a seemingly minor issue causes a frustrating amount of distruption and slow down in productivity.

The hand tool work around is okay, but just not good enough.

• T1M
    T1M Posts: 1

@cosstef Great workaround! Thanks.

• AElmore7085
    AElmore7085 Posts: 1

Realize this is a bit late, but for people who stumble upon this, although here's another topic with a slight workaround: https://community.teamviewer.com/English/discussion/34967/long-press-key-spacebar-for-adobe

A workaround (also mentioned in the above topic) worked well enough for me, IF you are able to remap the long-press key (Which you can do in maya at least). For maya, remapping the hotbox to shift+space instead of just space fixed this issue entirely, don't know why, but it did. Must have something with the difference in how Maya interprets combined keypress holds compared to single key holds. I've never had to remap ctrl/shift due to this issue, but it at least works for when space is required.

I can confirm that disabling hardware acceleration did not fix the issue. From the above topic, it sounds like this is just how key presses get sent on Teamviewer currently. If you open up a key-press testing program/app and hold down the key it shows that rather than being held the key is just being pressed repeatedly rather than just being held down.

The fact that multi-key and mouse/key combinations seem to work might have to do with with what the program qualifies as letting go of a multi-key press versus a single key press. Since Teamviewer is sending rapid key presses, a single key is going to repeatedly send the key up event, whereas detection of multi-key presses changes depending on the program. Yes, the both keys are repeatedly sending a key up event, but neither are in sync, so at any given point in the hold, at least one key of the combination is counted as pressed. Similar reasoning for the mouse input, though I'm sure mouse holds are handled differently. Just a theory, anyways, and it might still be an unintended effect, but does seem to explain why it happens.

Hope the workaround helps someone who stumbles on this.

• I have to second that this needs to be taken more seriously.

Not just games require long button presses, DCCs & DAWs are good examples of apps that also require prolonged keyboard controls.

For a paid app I would really expect this to work flawlessly, I simply cannot use teamviewer until this is fixed

• Nopixus
    Nopixus Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited January 16

this issue is still going on and im not going to lie to you...

it really makes me consider going back to **Third Party Product**.

@JeanK is this thing ever going to be fixed ?

• Nopixus

still not fixed. unbelievable.

• Nopixus

@Scotty is this ever going to be fixed ?

• LewisO
    LewisO Posts: 1

It's been a few years since this post and no fix, no acknowledgment from TeamViewer. Fortunately, I have finally found the solution from somewhere else, so I am canceling the subscription for the next renewal, which saved me lots of money and trouble. Good luck everyone else here.

• Nopixus

is this thing ever going to be fixed ?

• JeanK
    JeanK Posts: 6,984 Community Manager 🌍

Hi all,

Thanks a lot for reporting this.

I touched base with the dedicated team. They are reviewing this and are already working on how to fix it.

I'll keep you updated on this thread as soon as I have something to share.

Have a great day and thanks again for reaching out!

/JeanK

Community Manager

• revoconner
    revoconner Posts: 1

Has there been a fix? I still got this problem yesterday, writing at 14 sep 2023

• BradL
    BradL Posts: 1

Unable to work in Sketchup either due to the Long Key Press functionality.

• JeanK
    JeanK Posts: 6,984 Community Manager 🌍

Hi all,

Small update from my side.

Our teams are still looking into the issue. I'll let you know once I've more information to share.

Thank you for your patience and trust!

/JeanK

Community Manager

• ieg
    ieg Posts: 1

January 17, 2024, this issue prevents remote development using untiy

• Shotgunpixie
    Shotgunpixie Posts: 2 ✭✭

I'd suggest trying other types of remote desktop software. TeamViewer isn't the only app on the market.

• ChristinaC
    ChristinaC Posts: 1 Newbie

This is preventing us from using TeamViewer for some of our internal apps/programs that require key holds and we're considering switching soon if not resolved. We've been using a free option a competitor provides that isn't even geared towards enterprise and it works flawlessly.

We would prefer to stick to TeamViewer because of how familiar we are with it but if this isn't fixed it does not look like that's a viable option.

• Markus_Jäger
    Markus_Jäger Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited April 12

Hello @JeanK , is there an update on this in the meantime? Not very customer friendly, the whole thing to be honest...