Monitor-less computer - blank screen

Hi!

I have called Teamviewer several times about the monitor-less computer problem. Support always wants to check and call me back, but I hear nothing more.

Running teamviewer host om Win 10 and monitor-less computer resoults in blank screen, and I cannot see that anything is ment to be fixed?

I saw this article, but with no help on my problem, even though the article mentions the problem. https://community.teamviewer.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/Why-do-I-only-see-a-black-screen-after-connection-establishment/ta-p/4773

For me it looks like Teamviewer don't want to acknowledge the problem, or silence it down.

For me this is a major problem as I use it to remotely controll client computers that often have no monitor attaches. Starting to use Microsoft Remote Desktop again as in old days.

If someone have a solution or alternative software, please respond.

If someone have same problem, please comment on this tread.

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Scotty
    Scotty Posts: 493 Staff member 🤠
    Answer ✓

Hi rosnorre

Thanks for your post and I apologise that you did not get the answer over the phone.

Officially, we don't support headless systems sorry. If you disconnect or turn off the monitor, this can cause your GPU to stop producing an image which will result in a black screen as there is nothing for TeamViewer to capture.

We are very aware of this which is why it is listed in the article you mentioned. However this is a limitation, not a bug.

If you do not have a screen attached, you could try using a dummy plug that simulates a monitor. This will make the system produce an output stopping the black screen.

-Scotty

Senior Moderator
    Did my reply answer your question? Why not accept it as a solution to help others?

Answers

• Scotty
    Scotty Posts: 493 Staff member 🤠
    Answer ✓

Hi rosnorre

Thanks for your post and I apologise that you did not get the answer over the phone.

Officially, we don't support headless systems sorry. If you disconnect or turn off the monitor, this can cause your GPU to stop producing an image which will result in a black screen as there is nothing for TeamViewer to capture.

We are very aware of this which is why it is listed in the article you mentioned. However this is a limitation, not a bug.

If you do not have a screen attached, you could try using a dummy plug that simulates a monitor. This will make the system produce an output stopping the black screen.

-Scotty

Senior Moderator
    Did my reply answer your question? Why not accept it as a solution to help others?
  • VBTWeb
    VBTWeb Posts: 3

It doesn't work on servers and things like that.  To use it I have to RDP into the Server, then x out and log in with TV.  Kind of defeats the point of TV tho.  The only use I've found for TV is for clients who need support occasionally on their home or laptops or while traveling etc.

• remote6
    remote6 Posts: 3 ✭✭

I use Teamviewer 11 on headless systems all the time.  However, I occasionally find that a pc or two in the field that don't play nice if somebody powers their screen down.

• RC-Admin
    RC-Admin Posts: 1

@Scotty, this was never an issue with TeamViewer 9.

To be honest, this doesn't make sense. 

Now after upgrading to version 11, I too can no longer access machines unless they have a monitor connected.

• Condsidering what we pay...this "feature" or limitiation should be fixed!!!

• hey man so i know im super late but what they are trying to say is to get an hdmi with an integrated GPU so it can trick you pc to thinking its connected to an active display when its not. basically you need a beefed HDMI cable. i personally have always been using this one and it still works for me to this day.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004S4R5CK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• mLipok
    mLipok Posts: 781 ⭐Star⭐
    edited December 2020

For all other interested in this topic .

1. Did you try to install "TV Monitor Driver" ?
    2. You could also remove Desired GFX Driver from the system and use standard MS Default GFX Driver.
    3. Or even try to install and estabilish "TV VPN" and then log to remote computer with MS RDP over "TV VPN"
    4. Or try to switch few times between this 3 icons/settings.

I hope it will help you to solve your's issue.

Regards,
    mLipok , AutoIt MVP
  • adjio
    adjio Posts: 1

So. Use case, I have 15 computers on my desk to set-up, fairly add-hoc. I install team viewer on each so I can install required applications, I need to move the monitor to each PC before I can control via TV ?

Another use case, I have 3-4 RD Gateway PC's sitting in a rack in case all machines are in use, they now need a monitor on each (or a dummy connector - which when I have tested is very unreliable) before I can login to support them ??

Not sure this is a step in the right direction Team Viewer designers, can you maybe share the thought process for the change so we can understand where you are coming from ??

• For anyone experiencing this issue, what worked for me was switching between the bandwidth settings. I moved it from Auto select to Optimise speed and the display rendered correctly. You sometimes have to switch back and forth a few times.

I think the guys at TeamViewer calling this a "Limitation, not a bug" is nonsense. It worked in previous versions, and it still works in 15+ when you fudge the settings so it is most definitely a bug and has absolutely nothing to do with the graphics card not sending output, and as a developer I find this explanation embarrassingly inept. Frankly, it's just lazy support.

Note, I haven't had to connect an adapter at all to get the display working, so their explanation makes no sense.

Do better TeamViewer.

• mLipok
    edited February 2021

In my case (switching between optimization settings) I check this problem on 2 different third party solutions, the same problems occurs. As far as I know this is related to Windows Graphic system.

Regards,
    mLipok , AutoIt MVP
  • zzzhhh
    zzzhhh Posts: 4 ✭✭

If it is the case, Why can Windows Remote Desktop grab images without any problem when monitor is turned off?

• peeeto
    peeeto Posts: 1

It is not a problem... you ust need to uncheck option "hide wallpaper" I know it is strange, but it works :D

• mLipok

Thanks

Regards,
    mLipok , AutoIt MVP
  • Edgar_
    Edgar_ Posts: 1
  • TomCn
    TomCn Posts: 3 ✭✭

Hey folks, I stumbled on one solution that worked for me anyway. I have an adapter that plugs into HDMI, and it's kind of an octopus cable that plugs into USB too to get power, and then converts to female DisplayPort. Just plugging in that adapter, which I guess is active in some way, fools the video in to acting like normal. It was just some cheapy adapter off a web site, nothing special. Might work for some of you. Of course that's not as good as a solution that needs no hardware at all, but helps in my application.

• TomCn
    edited April 2022

Update. My video adapter cable fix didn't continue to work. After power cycle back to the problem. Also tried the "blue" hdmi-dvi cable suggested by another. Didn't work either. I did find I have to constantly check/uncheck hide wallpaper to get things to show. In 640 x 480. Something asking for permission? screen goes black, click wallpaper. Gave it permission now screen black again, click wallpaper.

Of course in situations where you're inside or can forward a port and try MS RDP you can get any resolution that matches the station you're remoting from. So it is doable.

**Third Party Product**(hate to mention a competitor but necessary here) offers an optional video driver that creates an extra virtual display. So for a headless system, 1 display. Only goes to 1028 x 720 but better than nothing or 640x480. If they can do it teamviewer can do it.

• TomCn
    edited October 2022

Oh, the link about that optional driver

• HeinzW
    HeinzW Posts: 1

I came across this rather old topic, however with the same problem.

I could resolve it with an old Audio extractor laying around where I connected its HDMI input with the HDMI outlet of my monitor-less Minix PC (with Ubuntu running on it). Name: Delock HDMI 2CH/5.1CH Audio Extractor. If in a similar situation, this or a similar device may help

• Kim_Hogsted
    Kim_Hogsted Posts: 1

I'm not sure if it's related, but teamviewer wouldn't complete connection when the monitor on the other computer was turned off. The solution for me was to set the remote resolution in advanced properties.

• robe070
    robe070 Posts: 1

Its still an issue in latest TV. And I found the same solution as an earlier poster - when you get the black screen, go to View and toggle the wallpaper. The login screen will be displayed. After login it will be black again. Repeat the wallpaper toggle.

As thats a fix, then it could be done in software automatically.

• bob11746
    bob11746 Posts: 1

Has anyone tried a HDMI emulator? These were primarily designed for GPU mining machines that do not have a display. They prevent the computer from going wonky when a display is not attached or if the display times out. The computer just thinks there is a display there, and they support up to 4K.

I just ordered a few on amazon. cheap.

Bob

• gonespeed
    gonespeed Posts: 12 ✭✭

it seems Teamviewer does not care whoever cannot connect while monitor is off. I have been searching about this connection issues, none solution pops up from Teamviewer. I tried many many ways, still no luck, I have enough about this, just waste of time. I have only 2 months business membership left, must move to other program.

• PatrickvanHaeften
    PatrickvanHaeften Posts: 2 Newbie

Hi all,

For me installing this virtual monitor was the solution.

Look up on google: amyuni Activating a Secondary Display on Windows 10 when no Monitor is Connected

It will take you to the driver