AVG claims that Teamviewer download contains a trojan.

I have never had a conflict between my AVG-free anti-virus and Teamviewer installation files until today, when I attempted to go from version 12 beta to version 12. AVG intercepts the downloaded file (update.exe delivered in a ZIP file). If I manually download the latest version from the Teamviewer website, AVG also intercepts this file as soon as I run it as an administrator. Either the Teamviewer server has beTeamviewer 12 infection.jpgen infected, or AVG does not like seeing applications which have the capacity to permit remote control, even if the user wishes to allow this. Am I the only one having this issue with version 12?

Best Answers

Answers

• fkgtown37
    fkgtown37 Posts: 2 ✭✭

You are not alone - same thing happened to me 

• fkgtown37
    fkgtown37 Posts: 2 ✭✭

@fkgtown37 wrote:

You are not alone - same thing happened to me 

• Esther
    Esther Posts: 4,052 Former Community Manager

Hi @montrealuser @fkgtown37,

This is a so called "false-positive message" and we are already in contact with AVG and other companies.

If you want you can wait until AVG allows TeamViewer or you can mark TeamViewer as a trusted download.

I hope, this helps you!

Best,

Former Community Manager

• montrealuser
    montrealuser Posts: 16 ✭✭

Teamviewer 12 infection-1.jpg

Teamviewer 12 infection-2.jpg

Early this morning, AVG did its weekly scheduled scan on my computer and also detected these 3 files in the Teamviewer 12 related folder(s), which it considered toxic. Esther, please advise AVG of this report. To view small text in the second photo, click on the zoom icon.

• daveginorge
    daveginorge Posts: 1

Having the same trouble with AVG alert. TV 12.0.71503 was unable to be installed due to AVG Business locking the files. I disabled AVG installed then re-enabled. When starting Outlook 2016 I got the same message as the OP

AVG Teamviewer.png

• montrealuser

daveginorge, while your attachment show many files that your AVG intercepted (related to the outlook feature), all my three interventions seem to be identified only as trojan named Luhe.MSIL.C. This is the name that AVG uses to identify it, but different anti-virus programs call this infection by different names. I'm beginning to wonder if this is not a false positive, but rather a toxic piece of code that invaded the development department at Teamviewer. Perhaps it came from Microsoft?

• Esther
    Esther Posts: 4,052 Former Community Manager

Hi all,

I just got the information, that AVG released a new definition update which correct the False positive regarding TeamViewer.

Please update your AVG and enjoy using TeamViewer 12.

Thank you once again for your patience!

Best,

Former Community Manager

• montrealuser

Thanks Esther for the notice about AVG.

After updating AVG today, its virus database version number changed from 4664/13516 to 4664/13518.

Previous to this AVG update, whenever I tried to over-install Teamviewer 12, the installation would prompt me to authorize the installation, but quickly terminate without any messages. I blamed AVG for this termination even though AVG was no longer issuing a pop-up message indicating that it was intercepting a trojan.

After today's AVG update, the Teamviewer 12 installation did progress almost to the end but it hit an installation error and aborted (see image below).

Teamviewer 12 installation failure.jpg

Using the Windows control panel, I tried removing Teamviewer 12 ( the version I successfully installed the other day while AVG was deactivated) followed by a re-installation of version 12, but I got the same error.

I also tried installing version 11, and also got the same installation error. Finally, I turned off AVG as well as my Trusteer-Rapport (banking security program) and Teamviewer 12 installed successfully.

Clearly today's new update to AVG has allowed the Teamviewer 12 installation to progress much further than was possible yesterday, but it also appears that at least in my case, AVG has to be shutdown to allow the Teamviewer 12 installation to succeed.

If this procedure has to be repeated each time a new version or update to Teamviewer becomes available, then it means I will never have the advantage of AVG warning me that the Teamviewer download contains a true positive or false positive warning that there is toxic code embedded in Teamviewer.

• Niceeee
    Niceeee Posts: 2
    Disabling antivirus is the best solution if you need to install a virus on your PC. Very Nice Solution!
  • Ian_C
    Ian_C Posts: 9 ✭✭
    Issue seems to have re-appeared with the new v14.3 release

Please provide a cheaper personal edition

• Ian_C

AVG detection warningAVG detection warningAVG threat detailsAVG threat details

• Yuri_T
    Yuri_T Posts: 2,256 [Former Staff]

Hi @Ian_C ,

Thank you for your post.

Due to frequent changes of antivirals and firewall software, it is possible that TeamViewer is misclassified. In this case, please provide the version number of AVG, and the definition version, so that we will investigate.

I look forward to hearing from you.
    Best regards,

Yuri

Former Japanese Community Moderator
  • Ian_C
    AVG version: AVG Protection (2016.151.8013)
    The definition version would be from two or three days ago, so most likely v190609 or v190610

• hjzahn
    hjzahn Posts: 1

A friend of mine in Germany faces the same problem with AVG since about 2 weeks.

Is there an actual solution to this?

Should TeamViewer be installed before activation of AVG (with I would find not being the nicest solution)?

Your reply would be apprecheated.

.Greatings from Stuttgart / hjz