I lost access to my 2 Factor Authentication after I got a new phone and can't find my recovery code

My issue is stated above in the subject line. Also, I'd like to add that you should add the 2 factor authentication where you get sent a text every time you try to log in so that even if you do get a new phone (and of course keep the same number) you can still receive your codes.

Best Answer

• greatproduct
    greatproduct Posts: 4 ✭✭
    Answer ✓

That's solved it! It was the logging out first that I wasn't doing.

Thanks so much for your help.

Answers

• AlanW1
    AlanW1 Posts: 157 [Former Staff]

Hi alikhodrali2,

Thank you for posting and welcome to our community. 

Hopefully you have your last phone at your hand. Then please deactivate two factor authentication with that phone. Steps as following:

Deactivate two factor authentication in your user profile settings:

1. Log in with your TeamViewer account at login.teamviewer.com.
    2. Click on your profile name an select Edit profile.
    3. Click the Deactivate link under General | Two factor authentication.
    4. Enter the security code displayed by your authenticator app.
    5. Click the Deactivate button.

If you lose access to your mobile device or to the authenticator app on your device, the recovery key is your last resort to deactivate two-factor authentication. The recovery key allows you to login again with your email and password. Therefore, it must be kept in a secure place. Consider printing more than one copy in case one copy gets lost or destroyed. 

please be noted that The two-factor authentication can not be deactivated by TeamViewer. If you lose your recovery key, you will also lose access to all TeamViewer features where your account is needed. Therefore, it must be kept in a secure place.

Please refer to this article for details.

• Ziyaad
    Ziyaad Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November 2021

Please assist me with this.

I need to disable the TFA from an account (edited per our guidelines, please protect your personal information)

• JeanK
    JeanK Posts: 6,973 Community Manager 🌍

@Ziyaad

Please refer to this article to know how to proceed.

Community Manager

• greatproduct

I'm having trouble. I have a new phone so lost the authenticator I was using. I need to get the QR code again.

When I click the link in the article it just takes me to the teamviewer management portal. If I go to settings and security and try to disable two factor (by entering my saved recovery code) it asks me to enter the 6 digit security code which is what I can't generate without the authenticator.

Can you help me?

• JeanK

@greatproduct,

If you own a professional TeamViewer license:

• Please contact our support via phone, they will guide you through the procedure: Contact us via phone

If you are using the free version of TeamViewer:

• You can create for free a new account: https://login.teamviewer.com/LogOn#register 
    • If creating a new account with a different email address is not an option and you want to use this same account again, you can request the deletion of your TeamViewer account by writing an email to privacy@teamviewer.com.
    • As soon as the account is deleted by our dedicated team, you will be able to create the TeamViewer with this same email address.

I hope this could help.

Cheers,

Jean

Community Manager

• greatproduct
    edited November 2021

Just so I'm clear, you're saying you can only disable two factor with a professional account? Even though I have the recovery code? This sounds like a bug. But the product is so good I don't mind starting a new account.

I wish there was a lower rung of user - I only use it once every few months at most but it's so useful. A few of the competitors do lower prices for this sort of use but I've been using teamviewer for ages and it just gets better all the time.

• JeanK

I am sorry - I didn't understand that you are havign the recovery code! My bad...

As you have the recovery code, to disable TFA, you need to make sure you are logged out of the Management Console within your browser.

Then, go to: https://login.teamviewer.com/LogOn#deactivate-tfa and Deactivate TFA from there:

Let me know how it worked!

Community Manager

• greatproduct
    Answer ✓

That's solved it! It was the logging out first that I wasn't doing.

Thanks so much for your help.

• JeanK

You're welcome! Have a great day - hope to see you soon again! 🙌

Community Manager