Commercial use - Connection time out

Comments

• dgun469
    dgun469 Posts: 8 ✭✭

I have used this software for many years and I have never had this issue until recently. I was NOT aware that Teamviewer had been spying on me logging into my childrens devices to monitor their school work. This is very intrusive and I personally feel that the privacy of my children and I have been invaded. I will certainly be contacting an attorney on this matter. "Free" software that spies on you.... Does this ring a bell?

• finalewiz
    finalewiz Posts: 4 ✭✭

Yes, I found that - thanks. I wonder what "behavior" flagged me. It looks like a lot of people got this recently.

• JK257
    JK257 Posts: 2 ✭✭

Thanks for the URL Ryan_m. I submitted it so we'll see. It keeps disconnecting my connection to my RPI after like 30 seconds saying I maxed out the session time. Weird. NEVER had a problem before today, tho this is the first time connecting to the RPI.

• forstnd
    forstnd Posts: 2 ✭✭

Hay all

My connection looks to drop ut after 40 seconds, then I can't reconnect. I am using this to help my family out.

I been doing some reading and been told it could be that TV thinks I am using this as a business than personal use. How do i prove this or event contact the support team?

Thanks

Forstnd

• Torben_Herold
    Torben_Herold Posts: 1

My computer, running Plex for me and my daughter, is all of a sudden being marked as a commercial computer, making Teamviewer utterly useless .... please help me un-mark it.

• zprofreelancer
    zprofreelancer Posts: 1

i'm getting the following error

your license limits the maximum session duration to a partner

i'm using free license

• OrlandoKB1
    OrlandoKB1 Posts: 1

Friggin ridiculous. It's supposed to be free for personal use and it continually disconnects telling me I am commercial account. Contacted TV days ago as requested and nothing!

• forstnd
    forstnd Posts: 2 ✭✭

How did you contact them, I cant find a like or anything.

• w6pd
    w6pd Posts: 5 ✭✭

Any news on when this might be fixed?

• tenementgeek
    tenementgeek Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited May 2021

I don't know. But the week I have spent waiting for help has given me time to realize that I really need a paid solution to my remote access needs. Not by TV of course: The fees are prohibitively expensive for someone wih non-business needs. I have found several competitors that offer comparable service for an affordable price. Frustrated with Team Viewed? Don't be. Dump them and find an affordable alternative. I've only needed tech support once in the entire ten years that I have used them. The failed miserably.

• DieterPaas
    DieterPaas Posts: 1
    edited May 2021

Dear Team,

I need TeamViewer only privat to help my friends, but your system closed the connection after 1 minute.

What can I do, that you give my ID free?

My TeamViewer ID is [The personal info has been removed as per the community guidelines.]

Best regards

Dieter Paas

My Emailadresse: [The personal info has been removed as per the community guidelines.]

• Bunson
    Bunson Posts: 4 ✭✭

Does anybody know if this rash of Commercial Use blockages is a scam to get us to off the free service onto paid service?

Apparently I now have to reset my account?

The catch is that the I am A Human Button is not available.

Since TeamViewer does not have a customer support system I am hoping that one of the users mights have info to help.

• siggy1997
    siggy1997 Posts: 1
    Answer ✓

Yeah it keeps happening to me as well even though I'm just using it to connect to my computer upstairs, I even submitted a help desk ticket and it worked for awhile but now they keep logging me off after 3-5 mins of being logged into my computer

• Bunson

Same here.

Submitted ticked (kind of as they are using outdated PDF format).

I am getting timed out after 10 seconds and there is nobody answering customer service line, it just hangs up on me.

• Bunson

• Zviadi_kere1979
    Zviadi_kere1979 Posts: 1
    edited May 2021

my teamviewer working period become extremely short (1 min), I am a personal user. Could you resolve this problem ?

• ErinWeber
    ErinWeber Posts: 1

OK, so I am not the only one having issues with submitting the reset account request! I have tried everything possible and its just not happening. Guess I will submit a support ticket too.

• Bunson

You are definetly not the only one Erin.

I honestly can not believe how bad it has got at Teamviewer.

• EdwardUK
    EdwardUK Posts: 47 ✭✭

TV don't see anything needing fixing despite hundreds (thousands?) of people being incorrectly classified as commercial users.

Your only remedy is undergoing the appeal process (see link in first post of this thread), crossing your fingers and waiting for days, weeks or months for the TV team to review your appeal.

Good luck.

• Doyen
    Doyen Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited May 2021

Just a heads up; the following is from their privacy policy... you agreed to this when you installed the software.

"TeamViewer’s services are not intended for children under the age of 18. TeamViewer does not target our services to children under 18."

However, let's be clear on what they do...

"Any content of screens, calls, and video transmissions, or actual files that you exchange with anybody through our Product’s features and functionalities will be transmitted by TeamViewer using end-to-end encryption technology. This means that TeamViewer will not be aware of the content and subject matter of such exchanges. You, on the other hand, will have full access to this possibly personal and even sensitive data."

They don't spy. However, they do log the use of the software though, without personally identifiable information. That's part of this declaration...

"TeamViewer may analyze Customer’s use of the Software and/or Services for security reasons as well as for product improvement, license auditing and/or marketing purposes. To that end, TeamViewer may use, at its sole discretion, and implement technical measures regarding the functionality of the Software and the Server Services to assess whether Customer’s usage pattern is in line with the indicated usage volume and thus with the chosen license type, and to detect whether the contractually agreed scope of use is being exceeded by Customer. TeamViewer may require Customer, at any time, to provide a self-declaration regarding its actual scope of use and/or usage pattern."

I've looked at the log file... it's pretty unremarkable to be honest. If you want to check it out yourself, on Windows it can be found at: C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Roaming\TeamViewer

As for why it is flagging people as commercial, I don't know. Obviously they can't tell us, since that information would be used to circumvent those measures. But if you are a free user, the software is provided 'as is'.

"Software and Server Services under Free License are provided as-is. TeamViewer assumes therefore no maintenance obligations and no warranty in relation to Customer holding a Free License, except in the case of fraudulent concealment of defect."

Even if this left a person room to sue, the amount you can sue for is this...

"in the event of a slightly negligent breach of a Material Obligation, the maximum amount of TeamViewer’s liability for all damaging events occurring in the same year of Subscription (i.e. in an Initial or Renewal Term) is capped by the higher of 100% of the fees paid by Customer in the year of the damaging event"

So for a free user, that's... well, you get the picture. Of course, we still have this...

"Customer shall indemnify, defend and hold TeamViewer, its affiliates, officers, directors, shareholders, employees, agents and assigns harmless from and against any and all liabilities, losses, costs, expenses, settlement amounts, and damages (including reasonable attorneys’ fees) incurred by TeamViewer arising out of any suit or proceeding by a third party arising from Customer’s use of the Software or Customer’s breach of any representation, warranty, covenant or obligation of Customer under the Contract."

With that said, let me be clear... I'm not trying to be adversarial here. I just wanted to nip this "I'll sue!" talk in the bud before things get silly. The reason I posted the above is since I actually READ the agreements and not just click 'OK'. All of the quotes I posted are in the 12,500 word EULA, and so threats of contacting an attorney isn't going to get anyone anywhere. They provide something for FREE, and they are under no obligation to do so.

Instead of making them regret the decision to allow free users at all, perhaps we can try to understand that they're running a business. They need to be able to assure that allowing non-commercial free use doesn't mean that commercial users can use it for free. There is no sinister motive here, they're protecting their company. If they didn't, they would go broke, and you'd still end up with broken software. Right?

I've been having some good discussions with them in another thread, and I'm hoping it helps to make some progress on this matter.

What we need is patience and cool heads until this gets sorted. People are not being ignored. I'm in the same boat as everyone else, but I have confidence that this will be resolved soon. Give them a chance...

• johnnydao79
    johnnydao79 Posts: 2 ✭✭

My account says free license yet every time I connect to my own computer downstairs and get disconnected within like 5 mins.

• Dick_Headstrong
    Dick_Headstrong Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited May 2021

Hey,

I have used TV for several years with no problem. Starting a couple months ago I started getting same messages as others described and would be disconnected within seconds.

I've never been accused of using for commercial purposes and have only 3 computers on same LAN. It started working again after a week or two then started doing same thing 2 weeks later. I have switched to ”Third Party Product” even tho I like TV better. I don't know what choice I have and don't see why i should have to reset as I was never accused of being a commercial user.

”Third Party Product” works really well too.

• vanlilith
    vanlilith Posts: 2 ✭✭

7 days have passed and I've received no answer nor any contact from the support, on my profile the reset request is still showing "Your request has already been submitted and is pending further review. Thank you for your patience as we process your request".

Meanwhile other dozen of people have had the same issue, not a good sign...

• EdwardUK
    EdwardUK Posts: 47 ✭✭

All good points. Of course no private user has any recourse against TV.

Like you I love TV and will be patient.

Just some counter points.

1. TV must know that many people are using TV to support family members and/or using to access personal computers.
    2. TV have always encouraged free non commercial use.
    3. It seems evident that TV have recently tweaked their process for determining commercial use. This has led to many false positives which TV could reasonably have anticipated and put some mitigating steps in place. I fully support TV determining commercial use via their free offering.
    4. The appeal process is not very transparent and prone to user's not managing it easily. This thread is clear evidence of this.
    5. TV have not, so far as I can see, made any statements about what their current policy is and in particular tried to assuage users that they are working on the appeal process. Given how TV are moderating this thread (rightfully they are redacting mention of competing products) so they are fully aware of the problems but choose to remain silent in this thread. This adds to frustration and conceivably tarnishes the TV brand.

Cheers

• Globox
    Globox Posts: 2 ✭✭

I've been using TV for years to connect to friends and family for remote support, and to my own machines in other parts of my home. I'm physically disabled and the mobility required to move between them every time I need to access the other is simply not something I'm capable of.

This is actually the third time I've had my account flagged for "commercial use". And this time I haven't even connected to a device that isn't my own, on my local network, since the last time it happened. Surely if they can identify that the connection is coming from my account, they can see that I'm connecting to a device with the same IP on the same account right?

I don't get it. I figured the last two times I told them "Hey, you're directly impacting my ability to live my life comfortably please fix this" and having them reverse it would have had them put a note on my account saying "Yeah I know he connects for hours a day but it's his own stuff" and this wouldn't happen again. If there's a way to make money connecting to my own computer down the hallway can y'all let me know what it is? That would help a lot during the pandemic

Submitted my PDF thing. If I don't hear from TV by the end of the week I'll be spending a while on the phone until I talk to someone who can get this sorted out. I would really rather not have to sort out a system with some other software, but if this is the direction TV is heading and they aren't going to do something about it... It might be time to start researching. 🤷‍♂️

• dgun469
    dgun469 Posts: 8 ✭✭

So let me ge this right. You with a total of 5 posts have had so many great conversations with the team? The n you proceed to outline parts of the agreement that you conveniently have on hand? TV sure is trying hard here to not fix the real problems and put workers on the forums.

You didn't even read what I said before barking out nonsense. I, ME, THE ADULT..... Uses TV to log in to MY CHILDRENS devices. No where did I say my children were using them. Also just because I agreed to something doesn't give a company full supreme ruling over the devices in my home to search.... Right encryption, because TV has no backdoor that allows them to see whatever they want.. Are you living in a fantasy world bud?

• Doyen
    Doyen Posts: 7 ✭✭

Yup. Me, with a handful of posts, is trying to help TV sort this matter out. If you're suggesting that I work for TV, all I can say is that I'm a Canadian living in Canada. If TV was going to 'stack the deck' with workers on this thread, methinks they would have done that before page 273... 🙂 I mean, unless that's their lucky number. You can believe me, or not, but that's the truth.

But I'm confident I've figured out what happened in regard to why the software is false-flagging people, and I've tested my theory. It works consistently. I've been able to flag and unflag myself at will. (And sorry, but I won't be discussing the cause openly.) I believe this problem actually originated back in February 2020, and it's possible that TV isn't aware of the full impact. While I can't say if it is the only reason, I can say it is a one reason.

This is something I'm going to discuss with TV to see if they are aware of this. It is possible that they may not be aware of the source of the problem--and they've been trying to fix the symptoms. That's where I come in. I'll be discussing this with them to see if we can get something done to deal with this quickly. But I needed to have something to go on first, and it took me a few days to figure out why this was happening.

You're annoyed at this problem, as can be expected, and so am I. There is enough going wrong in the world with covid, and no one needs more stress. I get that... I really do. But TV isn't intentionally trying to annoy people. Like I said, I'm fairly certain I've discovered where the problem lies, and I'm going to follow up with them and see what I can do. I want this fixed as much as you do.

• w6pd
    w6pd Posts: 5 ✭✭

Happy Monday morning

Thank you for your comments and suggestions, TeamViewer is up and running here, I hope you are also...

• pipistrello
    pipistrello Posts: 0

free licence

but told me that I use for commercial, and of course it is not.

• dkjorgensen
    dkjorgensen Posts: 2 ✭✭

I am having this same issue. I clicked on the "More Info" button from the alert pop-up and it took me to a brief FAQ page https://www.teamviewer.com/en-us/info/commercial-use/ which has a link to a form to fill out in the case that your personal use is flagged as commercial use. However, the link goes to another page with a button to create a ticket, but no obvious place to create a ticket.

If I discover anything more I will update here.