Complimentary TeamViewer 15 access for legacy versions to be deprecated

Comments

• Jim_Dettman
    Jim_Dettman Posts: 2 ✭✭

While I understand the security concerns, and realize that you cannot support everything forever, I don't understand why you did not use the same upgrade model that you used last time, which was to update all older TV versions to the least supported version.

While I appreciate the offer of TV 15, I don't like being forced into a subscription model, which in effect is what you are doing with this move. How you came up with a ten year sliding scale for perpetual license holders I have no idea. Last I heard "perpetual" means "perpetual"

I would be a lot more upset with this announcement if I had continued to upgrade from version to version and spent a lot more than I've already spent, but I got off that bandwagon with TV7 because nothing you've added since then is of interest to me, which is the main reason I've never gotten a subscription, along with the cost (which almost doubled the cost of moving from release to release). If your subscription rates were more reasonable, I would have gone with a subscription a long time ago (your competition is half the cost).

But right now I have a perpetual license and a right to use the service, which is no longer perpetual and will expire in 2025. Like all the others, I'm miffed.

I'm not sure if I have a copy of the original license agreement or not, but I believe you pledged to provide service unless you went out of business, and the software was held in escrow for that eventuality. That agreement was for perpetuity.

I have to say though, this move really doesn't change anything for me; you lost me as a customer a long time ago anyway, but I'm sure you are going to loose many more and get a lot of bad press from this latest move, or worse (lawsuits).

You've probably already considered that, but you are not serving your customers well.

• teodorakis
    teodorakis Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited June 2021

I think this will help us ;)

[removed as per the community guidelines.]

• teodorakis
    teodorakis Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited June 2021

I couldn't edit the previous post.

If I have to reinstall all clients. Why should I install it again with teamviewer anyway? You have a lot of competitors that are much cheaper than you.. I will evaluate them.

• OngTH
    OngTH Posts: 1

I have a TeamViewer 12 Business license, am I eligible for complimentary TeamViewer 15 ?

• JeanK
    JeanK Posts: 6,973 Community Manager 🌍

Hello @OngTH,

This initiative is only applicable for version 8, 9 and 10 licence holders.

Community Manager

• juanchomang
    juanchomang Posts: 5 ✭✭

I purchased the product because they offered a lifetime license:

My experience with LIFETIME LICENSE is that the license continues to work from when it was purchased. Here are some examples:

• FruityLoops Studio acquired in 2000 and still getting free updates.
    • WinRAR purchased in 2002 and it continues to work to this day.

In any case, I have voiced my protest and added my protest to this forum. I will be watching this situation very closely!

• juanchomang
    juanchomang Posts: 5 ✭✭

In addition, in the terms and conditions state:

• TeamViewer guarantees that the server will be available and usable with the purchased version for a period of at least 10 years after purchase. If the transmission protocol changes in the meantime, an update will be provided to the customer free-of-charge if it is mandatory for further use.

Basically, the Terms and Conditions state that:

• the version I own will work for no less than ten years (meaning no need to update my software as they will guarantee a server for my version is in operation for no less than ten years)
    • and, in the event that the protocol changes (rendering the software unusable) then TeamViewer Gmbh. will provide a free update to the software so that the customer can keep that software for its (continued) further use

As far as I'm concerned, the company promised the following terms in its marketing materials and contract:

• lifetime license
    • free update
    • further use

I expect my software to continue to operate without impediment.

• Belwest
    Belwest Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited June 2021

Due the article https://community.teamviewer.com/English/discussion/111013/depreciation-of-legacy-versions I can get complimentary access to TeamViewer 15 until 31 Dec 2023

I have

[Image deleted per Community Guidelines]

a licence. After simple update it to 11 or 15 or 9 it becomes with Free license and there is now place to enter a license number. What should I do to activate 15 license?

• JeanK

Hello @Belwest,

Sorry for the confusion.

In your case, you simply need to update your clients to the latest version (15) by clicking the update button:

Your license will then automatically be recognized by the system, also in version 15.

Community Manager

• Belwest

Simple update doesn't do anything. It becomes free licence. I have done it many times. I have tried manually install and update from program. 8 ver see license but other versions - don't.

• JeanK
    edited June 2021

I understand the situation now. Thank you for these clarifications.

The problem is that your license is not activated on your TeamViewer account.

Before, it was possible to use TeamViewer only locally (without any TeamViewer account). This is not possible anymore.

Now, you need to activate your license on your TeamViewer license. Once it's done, your license will be recognized in version 15.

This is how to proceed:

Migration guide from version 8, 9 or 10 to version 15

1) Create or log into your account via the Management Console

2) Click on your name in the upper right corner, then click on Edit Profile

3) In the General tab, line License, click on Change license

4) Click on Legacy License Key Activation

5) Enter your license key (the key is indicated your latest invoice) and confirm with Upgrade & Logout

6) Now, update your TeamViewer clients to version 15 and log in with your credentials:

Your license should be recognized sign as below:

Community Manager

• Belwest

Thank you very much! Activated successfully.👍️

• Cyb3rman
    Cyb3rman Posts: 3 ✭✭

In regards to the Migration guide from version 8, 9 or 10 to version 15

Above, do I need to upgrade my version 9 local app and all my v9 clients hosts before I do that, or will TeamViewer push the upgrades to all the hosts and my app automatically? The Migration guide did not address the upgrade procedure for version 9 app and version 9 hosts. Thank you.

• JeanK
    edited June 2021

Hello @Cyb3rman,

Very good point - I forgot to mention the upgrade part.

You can do it either before, or after - this won't affect the migration.

However, we recommend first activating the license and then updating the clients. But again, it is as you wish.

I have edited point 6) to mention the upgrade. Thanks a lot! 💙

Community Manager

• gordoncoupe
    gordoncoupe Posts: 1
    edited July 2021

Feel completely let Down by TEAMVIEWER, A LIFETIME licence, that means lifetime, and I will hopefully not die in 2022, absolutely crazy, this company should be ashamed. I am looking into this legally and this far they are breaking the law watch this space

VOTE WITH YOU FEET EVERYONE

[removed per Community Guidelines]

VOTE WITH YOUR FEET leave TEAMVIEWER, they may consider looking at their morals when client leave on MASS

Disgusted what a waste of money $2000 RIP OFF

• damirSDZ
    damirSDZ Posts: 1
    edited July 2021

I,m absoluterlly behind what @drdancm said:

I think it is time to consider a Class Action Suit - Perpetual licenses are not arbitrarily limited to a few years.

All perpetual licenses should be honored with an upgrade that is not arbitrarily time limited. Teamviewer is not doing any of us a favor but simply breaking the business contract in a way to make themselves look less terrible.

Any of you who would like to join the Class Action Suit please send your contact information to Dan at:

[The personal information has been removed as per the community guidelines.]

And call all of us - TeamViewer perpetual licence users, action for defending our business and legal rights.

• derosoft
    derosoft Posts: 1

I am still using version 12 on a perpetual license and I am fully supporting any Class Action Suit although I have not been told... yet... that my license will expire so I may have to wait but rest assure that I will fight for the right to use a perpetual license, as per the original agreement.

• sizaphitz
    sizaphitz Posts: 1

Was there any advanced notice of the 5-minute timeout that has been implemented that makes Teamviewer unusable in my situation. I was given to believe that I had until Sep 15 to upgrade all of my client devices. Upgrading of these devices is not permitted on an ad hoc basis as they are qualified devices. I had started the qualification process and setting up a schedule to upgrade all of the devices by the time limit specified, however, I will now be required by my customer base to set up a schedule to remove TeamViewer from their configuration solely on the basis that Teamviewer's customer support is unpredictable.

• mss0602
    mss0602 Posts: 1

I'm using an older version.

I've been using TeamViewer very often so far.

However, the connection from a few days ago will continue to end.

So let's say you're inquiring and doing so for the transition to the latest version.

And at the time of purchase, I purchased a lifetime license.

Isn't it a breach of contract to unilaterally change the end date?

I want to use TeamViewer for the rest of my life.

The version is irrelevant.

• Mavacom_Oy
    Mavacom_Oy Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited July 2021

TeamViewer 9 is not working any more? It cuts the connection many times? We bought the licence and now it is not working? TeamViewer are not responding to our questions....

It is not right that software stops working and we loose our money.

Mavacom Oy

• Esther
    Esther Posts: 4,052 Former Community Manager

Hi @Mavacom_Oy

The server support for TeamViewer 8-10 licenses will be discontinued on September 15th, 2021. We now started to limit connections to make everyone aware of the need to update the remote devices.

See more information here:

Thanks and best,

Esther

Former Community Manager

• Mavacom_Oy
    Mavacom_Oy Posts: 2 ✭✭

Yes, I know that, but it's not legal. When we bought the licence, there was not a mention, that software will not work after some years!

If we upgrade to version 15, we have to pay licence again, that's true? And after that every year again and again. Is that true?

• Esther
    Esther Posts: 4,052 Former Community Manager

Depending on the license you bought you get a complimentary TeamViewer 15 access. See the table here: https://community.teamviewer.com/English/discussion/109492/complimentary-teamviewer-15-access-for-legacy-versions-to-be-deprecated

If you decide to buy a subscription for TeamViewer, you will need to pay yearly until you cancel the subscription. However - I recommend reaching out to the licensing experts at TeamViewer to find a solution for you 👍 I am only the Community Manager.

But as the Community Manager, I made sure to add smart linking to our community and so - I added a link to the number to the top menu under Service --> Contact --> Give us a call.

Thanks and best,

Esther

Former Community Manager

• JFE
    JFE Posts: 1

We have purchased our original TeamViewer “PERPETUAL” licenses.

We do not wish to upgrade to a “COMPLIMENTARY” version that is period/subscription based.

So I keep TV,, else I will take VNC server

• STEMApps
    STEMApps Posts: 3 ✭✭

I've got TeamViewer 9 on Windows 2000 machines in the factory.

I think that TeamViewer has become extremely heavy handed in the last 2 to 3 years. Push push push.

It would do TV well to remember that people like us that have been with TV since the early days 15 years ago and helped build their success through word of mouth and perpetual licenses. 

We got our companies to buy perpetual licenses and are now trying to explain why perpetual doesn't mean perpetual and why older TV versions on old operating systems can no longer be supported. Thanks for making the customers who supported you look like complete FOOLS to their boss.

We are not a happy bunch lately with TV's recent decisions to abandon us and ignore our previous licensing agreements.

• STEMApps
    STEMApps Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited July 2021

This is another heavy handed move by TV. I would really like to know why they are being such jerks to the customer base that have loyally supported them all these years.

I too am having the same problem with constant disconnects. I knew it was TV doing it on purpose.

Your subscription prices are heavy handed too. Obviously TV is no longer interested in the same type of small customer that built the business for them. Too many fat cat corporate accounts and you no longer need us. Nice.