How do I remotely update a standard Quicksupport .exe on a clients computer? If custom?

Due to new limited legacy support policy, I need to remotely update the TeamViewerQS.exe on all our clients' PCs'. When the customer starts the QS module, I connect and update remotely so future service requests remain connectable. Is the procedure different for custom QS modules?

Best Answer

• JeanK
    JeanK Posts: 6,987 Community Manager 🌍
    edited December 2021 Answer ✓

Thank you so much for the feedback.

Perhaps, I could add a little more background information regarding our modules...

The QuickSupport has been designed for spantaneous connections. For example, a customer needs urgend help and you don't have the time to go through installation processes. This is where the QuickSupport is powerful. The user just needs to open it, and you can connect via ID and password (or session code if customized). However, it is "just an .exe". This means, there is no service running in the background, no installation entry in the applications of the computer etc... and therefore there is no possibility to update it. Why? Because you can't update something that is not installed.

However, if you are connecting on a regular basis on specific devices, we do have a dedicated TeamViewer program for this use case:

➜ The TeamViewer Host

The Host has been designed for regular access and especially for unattended access.

Connecting to a TeamViewer offers lots of benefits like:

• Connecting via Easy Access (without any interaction of the remote side)
    • Keeping the program up-to-date via auto-update
    • If not closed manually by the user, the Host is always accessible as running in the background as a service

You can download the standard TeamViewer Host from our website here.

📌Note: You can of course also create a custom Host from your Management Console.

Please find more information about the Host setup here:

Regarding the auto-update, please follow the instructions described here:

I warmly recommend trying it out...

Let me know if this has helped! 🌻

Community Manager

Answers

• JeanK

Hello @IDC_SteveO,

As the QuickSupport is not an application that you can install, there is no proper update process for it.

The simpliest way would be to provide your customers with the updated link of your QuickSupport.

If you are using the standard QuickSupport, it will be this one: QuickSupport

If you are using a custom QuickSupport, you will be able to find your link in the Management Console under Design & deploy in the Custom Modules menu:

Let me know if this was helpful! 🌻

Community Manager

• IDC_SteveO
    IDC_SteveO Posts: 2 ✭✭

IMHO, letting legacy systems expire without a path for remote updates exposes the short-sighted review this policy has been given.

Besides just giving up, I suggest you at least investigate a way using, scripts, shortcuts, remote execution, delayed tasks, reboots etc.. Operating systems can update themselves. I find it hard to believe you do not have the competence to develop a similar function.

Your assumption that our customers must and are able to perform an update highlights the narcissistic attitude of your corporate culture.

• JeanK
    edited December 2021 Answer ✓

Thank you so much for the feedback.

Perhaps, I could add a little more background information regarding our modules...

The QuickSupport has been designed for spantaneous connections. For example, a customer needs urgend help and you don't have the time to go through installation processes. This is where the QuickSupport is powerful. The user just needs to open it, and you can connect via ID and password (or session code if customized). However, it is "just an .exe". This means, there is no service running in the background, no installation entry in the applications of the computer etc... and therefore there is no possibility to update it. Why? Because you can't update something that is not installed.

However, if you are connecting on a regular basis on specific devices, we do have a dedicated TeamViewer program for this use case:

➜ The TeamViewer Host

The Host has been designed for regular access and especially for unattended access.

Connecting to a TeamViewer offers lots of benefits like:

• Connecting via Easy Access (without any interaction of the remote side)
    • Keeping the program up-to-date via auto-update
    • If not closed manually by the user, the Host is always accessible as running in the background as a service

You can download the standard TeamViewer Host from our website here.

📌Note: You can of course also create a custom Host from your Management Console.

Please find more information about the Host setup here:

Regarding the auto-update, please follow the instructions described here:

I warmly recommend trying it out...

Let me know if this has helped! 🌻

Community Manager