Asset Management / Patch Management

Hi All,

I am currently trialling Asset Management & Patch Management. 

I have noticed that updates seem to be downloaded to the folder C:\windows\propatches\installation. I am trying to understand this patching process more, as I had an disk space issue on a server (I think the same patch had been downloaded multiple times - but thats not my concern tight now).

What I am trying to undertsand is the following:

1) Is it TeamViewer Asset & Patch Management that created this  C:\windows\propatches\installation directory?

2) If it is TeamViewer, should these install files be removed once the patch is applied? Or is it expected that we have to manage this directory manually - i.e. we have to monitor the directory and deleted these installations of patch updates?

If anyone can help with this, I'd be very grateful.

Chris.

Comments

• gadgetgeek
    gadgetgeek Posts: 8 ✭✭

Did you ever get an answer here? I had to expand a VM disk because the space was consumed, and just 2 days later the space is consumed again. Another 6GB in c:\windows\propatches.

I've never seen this folder before activaing TeamViewer Asset Management...and this is going to be a huge problem if it doesn't clean up after itself. Can I manually remove these files?

• Levon
    Levon Posts: 48 Staff member 🤠

Hello,

Thank you for your message.

Yes C:\windows\propatches\installation folder is created by Patch Management service for storing downloaded patches. Every time when Patch Management service is running it's checking mentioned folder and if there are any files which older than 4 days deleting them to avoid overuse of disc space. If by any reason this is not happing on your device please reach out to the support team directly or submit a ticket using instructions found here so that our team can have a look on the issue.

With Best Regards,

Levon

Product Owner, Remote Management
  • gadgetgeek
    gadgetgeek Posts: 8 ✭✭

This advice is not completely accurate, Levon. I have machines with deployment folders much older than 4 days old. I have proved the only time the old patch deployments are deleted is when another patch deployment is sent to the machine. It seems that only then are the older patches removed.

You can see that in action here:

• Levon
    Levon Posts: 48 Staff member 🤠

Hello,

Before each time running the deployment service is checking how old are downloads in "propatches" folder. If there is no new deployment check will not be done so the folders will stay there. The purpose of this logic to avoid unlimited growth of this folder and alos to keep resent deployed patches folders in case of an investigation will be needed in case if patch didn't deployed successfully.

Kind Regards,

Levon

Product Owner, Remote Management