Ressource.dll missing all of a sudden?

Hi at all,

every few weeks my TeamViewer (newest version, paid license) is not responding anymore. I cannot start it again because "ressource.dll" is missing?!

Reinstall works fine, but only lasts a few weeks until I have that error again.

PC is completely fine, not other problems whatsoever. Can anyone give me a hint?

Best Answer

• marclen
    marclen Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited December 2022 Answer ✓

Hello, I tried to use the tickt that support tells us to do. They took a long time,

the solution I found was as follows.

With a working TeamViewer program, you will copy all the files from the teamviewer folder:

it will probably be under Program files > TeamViewer. Once you copy the files, paste them into the

TeamViewer folder that is not working.

Answers

• JeanK
    JeanK Posts: 6,973 Community Manager 🌍

Hello @Naddel81,

This sounds very much like something unusual on your computer that currputs a TeamViewer installation string.

I'd recommend processing a full uninstallation (by deleting all TeamViewer items from the registry) and reinstall the latest version.

You'll find here how to process a full uninstallation here:

All the best,

/JeanK

Community Manager

• JeanK

Hello @Naddel81,

Could the reinstallation solve the issue?

/JeanK

Community Manager

• Naddel81
    Naddel81 Posts: 6 ✭✭

I can tell you in a few weeks since the problem shows up unregularly after a few days. longest period was 2 weeks until TV refused to start up because of a ressource.dll error.

• Similar problem when Bitdefender Advanced Threat Detection inadvertently marked new another .dll as suspicious and moved it to quarantine every time it performed full scan, resolved by re-installing - fixed temporarily, marking as safe and permitted in BitDefender resolved permanently. May be worth checking antivirus settings before going too far.... Good luck.

• JeanK

Thank you for the update, Naddel.

@CrackedQuackNo1 this is very clever! That's an aspect that we haven't discussed yet.

Naddel, did you check if the issue might be related to the Antivirus you are using?

Maybe adding TeamViewer in the "Exceptions" of the antivirus program could help...

Let us know how this goes!

All the best,

/JeanK

Community Manager

• Naddel81

good suggestion. I do not use antivirus software. I even have windows defender disabled. that should not be the culprit.

• Naddel81

Same procedure as every month. I am honestly considering to cancel my paid subscription. I have attached the errors.

• JeanK

Hello @Naddel81,

I recommend opening a ticket and attaching the log file to it.

Our engineers will be able to have a closer look at the issue.

➜ How to submit a ticket

➜ How to find your log files

All the best,

/JeanK

Community Manager

• Naddel81

will wait for the error to occur again and then report a ticket. thanks for your help.

• Naddel81
    edited April 2022

Unfortunately I cannot access the support portal. Here are my logs.

[Log files removed per Community Guidelines]

What can I do now?

• JeanK

Hi @Naddel81,

For security reasons, I had to remove the changelogs as they contain private information.

Please submit the logs via the support portal.

You will find here how to proceed:

➜ How to submit a ticket

Community Manager

• SailRacer
    SailRacer Posts: 1

For what it is worth, I have recently begun to have the exact same issue on my Windows 10 desktop PC. Everything works fine for a few weeks and then when I try to access that system from my Linux laptop the desktop is reported as "offline." Further investigation on the desktop PC shows TV no longer running and when I try to restart I get two dialogs reporting a generic problem and then the specific "teamviewer_resource.dll is missing" message. My only recourse is to uninstall, restart, and then reinstall.

On the Windows 10 desktop PC I have defaulted to Windows Defender and am having difficulty finding the configuration page where I can white list teamviewer_resource.dll. Any suggestions as where to drill down in the Windows 10 settings to find the white list configuration?

I would think the TV developers would survey popular anti-virus packages and work with those vendors to white list all of TV's files appropriately "out of the box." When I developed Windows software for HP (now retired) that was standard procedure prior to every software release.

Thank you!

• drakorg
    drakorg Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited June 2022

I'm facing the exact same problem on two different PCs now. This is ridiculous, a (paid!) remote access software that fails to run on the remote computer. It passes no more than a week before we have to fully reinstall. [removed per Community Guidelines]. Shameful, total disgrace.

• rikm1
    rikm1 Posts: 1

Has anyone found the resolution for this issue.

I have server suffering the same symptoms.

Thanks for any enlightenment.

• rav1ne
    rav1ne Posts: 3 ✭✭

Same issue here, it's about a year now. Had to reinstall TV multiple times. I have Win Defender turned off too, no other antivirus is up. The teamviewer_resource.dll cannot be found on my PC now.

As i see this issue isn't new, i saw it on the M$ support page too since 2017??

• Vim7
    Vim7 Posts: 1

Same issue here with Windows 10 with Bitdefender and Windows 11 with McAffee.

On both devices all files TeamviewerResource.*.dll were simply deleted. Don't know why. None of the files can be found in quarantine of BitDefender or McAffee. There are no reports in both security applications, that something was deleted, moved to quarantine or similar.

• rav1ne

Aaaand here we go again! After 3 ******* days after reinstall..

• prashil
    prashil Posts: 1
    edited November 2022

Was facing the same issue. I tried this and issue seems disappear now:

Added Teamviewer installation folder to Windows defender exclusion.

Steps:

Windows Security/Defender -> Virus and Threat Protection -> Virus and Threat Protection Settings -> Manage -> <Scroll Down till> Exclusions -> Add or Remove exclusions -> Add exclusions -> Folder -> Add TV installation folder (C:\Program Files\TeamViewer - In my case) .

That's it.. :)

But, this should be used with caution/own risk as it will keep your TV on risk.

Please try and update if issue fixed at your end..

Happy remoting.. :)

• marclen
    marclen Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited December 2022 Answer ✓

Hello, I tried to use the tickt that support tells us to do. They took a long time,

the solution I found was as follows.

With a working TeamViewer program, you will copy all the files from the teamviewer folder:

it will probably be under Program files > TeamViewer. Once you copy the files, paste them into the

TeamViewer folder that is not working.

• rav1ne

This is not a solution. After the error with missing dll, i did the copy back to the folder. 2 weeks later went missing again. Lot of files are missing. TV has only 1 purpose: when my vpn dies due network issues, i can restart it over TV. But when my vpn dies, TV fails to work. Pretty much useless.

• BangerT
    BangerT Posts: 1

Hello!

So was there ever a fix to this?

Having to reinstall the software every few weeks is NOT a solution.

@TeamViewer, is there any initiative to fix this issue that prevents the program from doing the one thing it was designed to do?

• ddtrekker
    ddtrekker Posts: 10 ✭✭
    edited May 2023

I have had this same issue for over 18 months. I have 6 remote computers running TeamViewer that reside in a lab location, not in the same state in which I reside, for student use remotely, that I use for remote online training. All six of the computers have TeamViewer randomly stop working. I re-install and it works fine, for a few weeks. I have submitted four tickets over the 18 months to tech support. None of the technicians know what is causing it. I have tried all solutions recommended to no avail. Sent all requested log files to TV tech support. They are still in the dark. I brought my virus scan software company into the conversation. They went through their log files - they are not removing any dll's from my computer. Another annoying thing is when I try all their fixes, and re-install TV, tech support closes the ticket. Seems that can't leave the ticket open for an extended period of time. So when TV stops working again, I am submitting a new ticket.

It is TeamViewer vs. **Third Party Product** for our online training solution. I prefer TeamViewer, as it is faster, more flexible and I can access all student computers at one time (**Third Party Product** does not allow this, only one at a time). However, whenever I cannot access the computers because TV stopped working, I am always able to connect to them using the **Third Party Product** interface. That's how I fix the TV issue remotely. My boss asked me at the end of last week if we should keep TeamViewer, or **Third Party Product**. Can someone at TV give me a reason to keep TeamViewer?

• ServiceShadow
    ServiceShadow Posts: 1

I'm responsible for over 50 computers and only one of these PCs has this problem.

And all PCs are configured more or less the same.

What i could see today is that Teamviewer did an update and asked for a restart.

I had the installation folder open at that time and could see all the files go missing after allowing the restart.

Two years and still no fix for this?

• ddtrekker
    ddtrekker Posts: 10 ✭✭

Kudos to ServiceShadow. His post got me thinking. When he stated that he saw the files being deleted, I checked my TeamViewer settings and I was allowing newer versions to be installed automatically. Turned that option off for all six computers. It's been over a month and TeamViewer is still operating, as expected. In the past, I was lucky to have it run successfully for more than two weeks. Check your settings: Main menu => Extras => Options. Under the Advanced heading, at the bottom of the list on the left, click on the Show advanced options button. Under General advanced settings: Check for new versions => select Never. Install new version automatically: Select No automatic updates. Hope this helps someone else.

• JeanK

Hi all,

Our dev team told us that the latest version ([Windows] v15.44.6) should fix this issue.

Could you please update your clients to this version and check if it fixed it on your end?

/JeanK

Community Manager

• BrianKLemna
    BrianKLemna Posts: 1

I am having the same problem. I had the most recent version of TV installed. It was working just two days ago. Now it gives me the same error everyone else mentioned here. We just paid for the business license. This is not good.

• Peter_Tibbets
    Peter_Tibbets Posts: 1 Newbie

I have the same issue but just update one of my clients to version 15.49.3 (64bit) Business and this just started happening. Can we get this error fixed as I'm in the process of updating my other 150 clients to newest version but won't if it causes this same issue.