Remote computer does not show open windows - sometimes black screen

Options
MrLargent
MrLargent Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited January 2022 in General questions

Hi, This may be a problem with the remote laptop graphics driver... but everything is updated so need to start here also.

When connecting to the remote laptop (HP) I always get a black screen. A 'refresh' typiclaly does the job after 1-2 times and then I am able to see.

When I try and open Norton, the dialog box opens, but it is only a frame.. inside is black.

I also notice the start menu sometimes is not fully expanded. I have attached pictures.

This only happens on this laptop so wondering what can be the problem. I have reinstalled the graphics drivers but the issue remains. Everything else is udated including the firmware which was done by HP tech assistance. Issue was before and after so not because of it.

Thank you!Norton is open, but can't see the Norton windowsNorton is open, but can't see the Norton windowsStart menu is all small...Start menu is all small...

Comments

• Jamshid
    Jamshid Posts: 1
    Options

Hello, I have the same problem. Did you solve it?

• whityini
    whityini Posts: 3 ✭✭
    Options

I have the same problem.

My remote laptop runs Win11, it has updated nvidia graphic driver and the latest teamviewer application.

The same problem occours if I try to connect to it using iPhone or iPad app.

This is what I get when I click on the Start icon.

Anyone could help me? thanks

• .Carol.fg.
    .Carol.fg. Posts: 1,071 Moderator
    Options

Hello all, 🌞

Thank you for your questions!

👉 Connectivity issues can be caused by different issues.

• The first thing I can advise is to update TeamViewer to the newest version on both sides of the connection. 
    • Secondarily, for Windows 11, please make sure that you have it updated as well. The below article has a list of the supported OS:
    • Nor less important, do you have a monitor plugged into the partner device? 

TeamViewer uses the monitor graphic resolution to calculate the image resolution, without a monitor, the black screen error can occur easily often.

Let me know how it goes, and if you need further assistance 😊

Best,

Carol 👩🏻‍🦰🌷

Portuguese Community Moderator

• whityini
    edited April 2022
    Options

Thank you Carol for your prompt reply.

On both side I have installed teamviewer ver. 15.29.4 (64bit)

Both the pc's have win11 21H2

My partner device is a laptop. If I leave the cover open teamviewer runs correctly but if the cover is closed I have the black screen on the partner and the other problem showed in the picture.

If I invert the pc's, so the partner became the main and the main the partner, everything runs correctly even if the cover of the new partner is closed.

If I use Desktop Remote to control the laptops I have no problem.

Very strange situation.

Andrea

• .Carol.fg.
    Options

Hello @whityini , 😄

Thank you for your message and the additional details!

During a remote session, TeamViewer only reproduces the screen, mouse, and keyboard. (It doesn't create a virtualization of the device.)

Therefore, if the laptop screen is closed/turned off, TeamViewer will have trouble calculating the resolution and graphics.

👉 You may consider changing some laptop settings to keep the screen and system on when the laptop cover is closed or just leaving the laptop slightly open.

I hope this information can assist you! 🍀🤞

Let me know if you have any further questions 😊

Best,

Carol

• whityini
    Options

Hey Carol,

Unfortunately I have already set the option to keep the screen and the system on when the laptop cover is closed as you can see in the attached screen (sorry for the italian).

Yes I could keep the laptop cover slightly open but I don't understand why it doesn't run correctly.

Thank, Andrea

• .Carol.fg.
    Options

Hello Andrea, 😃

Thank you for the feedback!

I checked your case with my colleagues on the support team, and they provided me with the following feedback:

👉 "No display generated by the GPU on the remote side = Black Screen"

I also received the information that most of the laptop's lids are turned off with a magnetic sensor on the hardware. Therefore, it is not guaranteed that a configuration change can truly change the laptop's behavior.

We had a similar question in a past post, and you can see more about it here:

Because it behaves like if there is no monitor when the lid is closed, the best you can try at this moment is:

• Just keep leaving the lid open
    • Plug an additional monitor in
    • Try use a HDMI dummy plug

I hope this information can help you 🍀

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Best,

Carol 👩🏻‍🦰🌷