TeamViewer Remote: A new definition of connectivity

JeanK
JeanK Posts: 6,984 Community Manager 🌍
edited May 2023 in Blog

TeamViewer has just released TeamViewer Remote. This solution brings a new approach to connectivity and improved security standards for remote support, remote work, and remote access.

Even more secure

The most significant change in TeamViewer Remote is the new connectivity approach, which allows you to connect to remote devices and users via session links. Session links eliminate the need for you to remember and share passwords, and thus, you can connect directly, making the user journey even more secure

Discover the new and more secure way of connecting with TeamViewer Remote here:

📄 Create and join a remote session (attended access)

📄 Connect to a remote device (unattended access)

Even more efficient

TeamViewer Remote is also available on the web. You can access TeamViewer Remote's full web experience via https://web.teamviewer.com/. This feature is especially useful when you are unable to install the TeamViewer Remote application on your devices. With this web experience, you can connect to remote devices from any web-enabled device, making remote access even more accessible. Access the new web experience here:

https://web.teamviewer.com/

Even easier to use

TeamViewer Remote comes with a revamped interface that provides you with a seamless remote control experience. The new interface is designed to be user-friendly, well-structured, and intuitive, enabling you to navigate and take control of your remote access experience easily. With the best layout for remote control, TeamViewer ensures that users can enjoy maximum efficiency and productivity while supporting remote users, working remotely, or accessing remote devices. Switch to the new interface now!

How to switch to the new interface!

To switch to the new interface, please follow the instructions in this article:  Switch to the new interface.

💡Hint: If you can't see the toggle, it means that your client version is too old. Make sure to update your client to the latest version. If you haven't installed TeamViewer Remote yet, you can download it from our website here or use the web version via https://web.teamviewer.com/.

A brand new Knowledge Base

Learn how to use TeamViewer Remote by discovering our Knowledge Base articles. The Knowledge Base provides detailed instructions on how to use TeamViewer Remote, as well as answers to frequently asked questions. The Knowledge Base is a great resource for anyone who wants to learn more about TeamViewer Remote.

Learn more about our best practices and solutions here: TeamViewer Remote Knowledge Base

Give us feedback!

We would love to hear from you. You can provide feedback via the client, making it easy to share your thoughts and suggestions. The more feedback we receive, the better we can shape a solution that suits your needs.

You can provide feedback by hitting the Feedback button on the bottom left corner of TeamViewer Remote's interface:

Community Manager

Comments

• hooliz
    hooliz Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited May 2023

I would second @Julthefast

The new version is a disaster, no proper search. Mandatory logins for users... Why? Where is the improved usability?

I have been using teamviewer since probably v3 and never experienced such a bad version change.

I personally find this not intuitive at all!

🤮

• JeanK

Hello @Julthefast and @hooliz,

First of all, thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback. This is exactly what we need to improve our solution.

Based on what you read, there is one thing I'd like to make sure it's well understood:

Participants (users receiving support) do not need an account.

Only the experts (users giving support) do need an account.

Participants can still join remote control sessions without using an account by:

The only change is that we do not use the ID and password to connect, but we use session links.

We explained in detail how the new interface works in our Knowledge Base.

If you want to establish remote connections to remote users (attended access), please follow the instructions in this article:

If you want to establish remote connections to remote devices (unattended access), please follow the instructions in this article:

Let me know if you have any further questions! I'll be happy to assist.

/JeanK

Community Manager

• hooliz
    hooliz Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited May 2023

@JeanK

How would you suggest to provide support to a user who wants support and doesn't have TeamViewer pre-installed?

Almost 10 years people heard the simple as **bleep** story:

1. go to teamviewer.com and download the client
    2. install/run the client
    3. share the id/pwd with support agent and you're rolling.

Now we're moving to "improved" version of user experience...

1. download teamviewer client
    2. install/run client
    3. 90% of the screen requires you to create account and login and small text box to get the session
    4. user needs to understand that session id is shared by remote supporter
    5. remote side needs to start session (completely useless step from the remote support side)
    6. user adds session Id
    7. remote support has to press join to the session
    8. user has to accept the session
    9. booom what a useless 5 step procedure to complete in order to receive support, complete waste of time and resources IMHO.

Kazi

• gambitgr
    gambitgr Posts: 1

Are you planning to fix whole new failure interface or should I start looking for something else?

And it’s not about changes. That whole new interface is just a disaster. I need simple unattended things. Install teamviewer go to settings and type in unattended password (For client). Then add the computer’s ID and pass to my console and that’s it. I don’t want to force someone to create an account in order to be able to do that simple thing.

I don’t know who’s idea was but you should send him sell fridges to penguins.

• Julthefast
    Julthefast Posts: 3 ✭✭

We have played around the software and have finaly understood that we need to create a session from the provider (US) to join. There is no way to create such code using the classic interface... It's such a useless step, because we know have to share a code with them. Before, all I could do was walk them thru the install of teamviewer from teamviewer.com/install then ask them to send a screenshot of the ID from their cellphones... easy peasy. The least we ask them to do the better it is.

• PowerIT
    PowerIT Posts: 4 ✭✭

What used to be simple and intuitive is now a mess that even technicians struggle to use.

It needs to be easy in order to provide support fast and reliable.

It seems that teamviewer is no longer the software it was and has transformed into a useless garbage.

I am not even waiting for this mess to be "fixed". It is a mistake and someone must be held accountable. There shouldn't even be a discussion about fixing or reverting. You dug your own grave. Now live in it ! !

By not paying for the software, people with these **bleep** new ui ideas will hopefully lose their jobs. SHAME ON YOU ALL !!!

Thus, my company will move on and will no longer pay for this new abomination.

• Bodul
    Bodul Posts: 5 ✭✭

Just a few questions.

Why am I not able to assign an alias to the clients that have installed the Host version of Teamviewer?

Why some host clients are visible in my Teamviewer application but not on the management portal (so that I can change the name there).

When will you revert this horrible UI change?

We will soon need another license, or we will need to upgrade the existing one since our support team is getting additional staff soon. However, if Teamviewer plans to continue with this route, we will (after more than ten years of successful partnership) need to reconsider alternatives (and trust me, I really hate to change things like these).

Thank you!

• JeanK

Hi @hooliz,

If people do not have TeamViewer pre-installed, I'd definitely suggest supporting them via session links, that will prompt them to join the session via QuickSupport.

The whole process is described with video how-tos here:

Create and join a remote session (attended access)

Let me know what you think about this new workflow and if you have any further questions!

/JeanK

Community Manager

• JeanK

Hi @PWC,

Thank you for your feedback.

About this: [...] you are making the huge assumption that all devices needing support are able to RECEIVE a session link. Not all devices have email.

Could you please explain the setup of these devices? Are there end-users on the remote side? If yes, what are the communication methods you use with the end-users?

Looking forward to your reply.

/JeanK

Community Manager

• JeanK

Hi @gambitgr,

Thank you for your message. 🙌

If you are using TeamViewer for unattended access, these are the steps you need to follow to set it up ideally:

1. Install TeamViewer Host on your remote devices
    2. Set up remote access on your remote device

We explain the workflow in detail in our article here:

Let me know if you have any questions about how to set up unattended access, so I can assist you further.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

/JeanK

Community Manager

• JeanK

Hi @Julthefast,

Thank you for your message and welcome to the TeamViewer Community! 🙌

From what I understood, you used to guide your end users through installing the program and then ask them to send a screenshot of the ID and password. From a security/UI perspective, this is a quite complicated and unsafe way to connect.

The new workflow is easier than this. You don't need to guide them through any installation:

1. You (as the person providing support), create a session and share the session link with the end user.
    2. The end user opens the link, downloads and opens the QuickSupport (that is included in the session link).
      • 📌Note: Users that have the full client already installed will be prompted to open the session via the full client. They simply need to click Open.
    3. Then, you click Start session, and voilà! You're connected.

The process is fully explained with how-to videos here:

Let me know if you have any questions! I'll be happy to help you further.

/JeanK

Community Manager

• JeanK

Hi @PowerIT,

We appreciate you took the time to post your feedback.

It might sound contradictory to what you said, but we made the connection process easier and safer.

I believe that it's just about getting used to the new workflow, rather than the product being more complicated to use.

We would appreciate it if you could give it a try. We prepared how-to guides on how to connect for attended and unattended access:

Let me know if you have any further questions! I'll be happy to assist.

/JeanK

Community Manager

• B123
    B123 Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited May 2023

Hi @JeanK

It might sound contradictory to what you said, but we made the connection process easier and safer.

I believe that it's just about getting used to the new workflow, rather than the product being more complicated to use.

If you look are your forums and others, pretty much everyone has been telling you over the past couple of weeks that it's not easier. There is virtually no positive feedback on this new interface and workflow.

(Of course, when TeamViewer seems to refuse to acknowledge it may be wrong and instead keeps pointing out its documentation, it kind of sends the message that unsatisfied users are wrong and "should know how to read better", which just increases frustration.)

People who receive support or who are in charge of the target computer shouldn't be presented with a invitation to log in or create an account: it's completely unnecessary for them, and it just complicates things. The full TeamViewer Remote client application (which is also the most prominent download) does add complexity.

That said, it seems that the TeamViewer Host might be sufficient for many purposes.

Make "TeamViewer Host" much easier to download from the main webpage

There's confusion regarding what to download. When you're offering support to someone, installing TeamViewer needs to be straightforward for them (either due to time constraints or general skills, both of which are perfectly understandable).

If TeamViewer Host is indeed the simplest thing to use, then make that download link a big button on your main webpage.

(Obviously, please don't assume participants can just receive a quick support link by e-mail and do everything from there.)

Make the TeamViewer ID and password visible as the first item that shows up

That ease of access is essential for TeamViewer Host, but it could also apply to the broader new TeamViewer Remote interface. "Managing this device" should be secondary (often, it's not relevant, see below). Showing the TeamViewer ID and password must be the main focus.

No new session workflow the TeamViewer Host?

If you want to separate the product into two applications: one for the target computer (connected into) and one for the people who connect to those computers, at least be consistent.

You currently can't use the new "Session Code" mechanism with TeamViewer Host. We're back to the full TeamViewer Remote application (which is mostly targeted at experts).

Don't automatically install TeamViewer as a service

Often, even with TeamViewer Host, granting access is a one-off event, or it's at least limited in time. "Unattended access" doesn't necessarily mean unattended with a fixed password forever.

There's no reason why a service should automatically start in the background, whether someone has granted access or not.

Stop assuming all of this can be solved by using "Managing this device"

The fundamental problem is that you generally seem to break forms of access into "attended" and "unattended", making strict yet incorrect assumptions regarding those two categories.

For you, "attended" means that there's someone who'll be sitting in front of the PC at the time you need to connect, and that they'll either be able to download a quick support link, or be able to enter a Session Code.

For you, "unattended" means the people who need to connect to that PC can take permanent control of the PC into your own organisation.

In many cases, neither of these apply.

In the "unattended" case, you need to understand that the party who connects to a PC is often not the party who owns or has a right to manage that PC. There may also be multiple parties, from different organisations, allowed to connect to the target PC (either with temporary random passwords or fixed ones).

In the "attended" case, the user might be willing to give you their ID temporarily for you to connect when you can, but not be willing or able to wait for you to connect. (It may surprise you, but the interest participants have for progress bars showing up on their screens is extremely limited.)

What about the future of TeamViewer ID connections

Are you planning to discontinue this connection mechanism? A clear answer on this would be good.

No amount of documentation or "getting used to" will fix those problems. It's TeamViewer that needs to fix its software. In many ways, the previous UI was far more usable.

A first step towards fixing this would be to make the TeamViewer ID and password immediately visible, both in TeamViewer Host and the TeamViewer Remote application.

• MadMarais
    MadMarais Posts: 1

Not liking the new interface that much...still trying to get use to it.

Do have an issue...in the old version you were able to send a chat message without connecting to a registered computer but with new version you are unable to do so easily

Also tried to use our custom module on the new version but the session code provided had alpha characters but the new version did not want to accept these characters provided by my customer so had to switch to the old version to access the link

• teqlee
    teqlee Posts: 1

I would like to add to this thread & agree with B123 & the rest: I was at a site yesterday (not having read through the "new & improved" Teamviewer update) & I also am very unhappy with this interface! I spent over 3 hours trying to get the typical User ID / password screen & was extremely upset at the end of the 3 hours as to what the heck was going on! I do NOT like this new version at all & would like it to go back to how it was before. Again, this is NOT helpful. Additionally, the users I support do not want to deal with any interaction of manipulating unfamiliar software. As B123 said above, people who receive support do NOT want to have to input any info to get the remote software up for me to access their system. They get confused & frustrated. Please put it BACK to how it was! I have used Teamviewer for years & loved it - this is the first time where I am very UNHAPPY with what you have done. It is not helpful.

• sergiu
    sergiu Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited May 2023

Changing an interface is one thing. Fundamentally changing the way a software works without a LOOOOOONG period of adjustment for end-users is just **bleep**.

The simple fact is this: I've personally talked through and gave the usual speech with go to teamviewer.com, download, install, send me the user/pass to so many people that now most of the people I support already know what to do. Guess what, someone needs to now help them through a completely different and less intuitive way of doing things. If I'm going to go through this trouble I might as well just change the software, it's not as if there are no alternatives. This was the simplest to use not by the person giving support, but by the supported person. Not the case anymore.

Plus, as it's been stated before, the sessions concept just doesn't fill all the functionality gaps - the supported user MUST be present at the other end and have a way of receiving the session data. For example, I support remotely the introduction of new machines in a network, usually for people that are yet to enter through the office doors, but need to have ready to work workstations.. Last month I had to do 25. I prepare the user's credentials, and I have one guy at the other end that will just start the new machine, sign in windows, start tmw, send me a picture with id and password and **bleep** off, cause this is not his job. You've now added a lot of steps to achieve what was simple to do - we now have to find a way for him to receive the session - remember, this is not his machine, he should not be connecting to his own email, etc., but the new user has no email configured yet, this is why I'm connecting to it.

Until this is recalled or addressed properly, I'll go the extra mile and connect my users on an older tmw version, that offers the known steps. Once this can't be done anymore, I'll talk them through the migration process. Migration to another solution that is, cause guess what? I'm not paid to educate users on whatever TeamViewer decides to change just because, I'm the one that pays the bill. This update means I'll more likely pay other software.

Wake up and realize you're not a regular software company that just needs to educate their paying customers. You rely on those people to talk and educate the regular users into how it all works. Changing things so drastically just makes all that work and good will you had in the market go the way of the dodo. When a company I pay creates extra work for me it won't get paid any more, simple as that.

• DannyLewis
    DannyLewis Posts: 1

I'd love to read your Knowledge Base, but all links to it 404!

• JoshP
    JoshP Posts: 894 Community Manager 🌍

Hello @DannyLewis

Thanks for your feedback!

As mentioned on our status page, we are currently experiencing an issue when accessing the knowledgebase:

Rest assured, we are currently working on resolving the issue, so that our full knowledgebase is again accessible for all users.

For further updates, we recommend subscribing to the status page as well, using the Subscribe to Updates button in the top right corner of the status page.

We thank you for your patience and understanding in this matter.

Josh P.

Senior Community Moderator

---

• sivy
    sivy Posts: 1
    edited May 2023

This is amazing. After so many years of using TeamViewer in a couple of different companies I'm done.

Users tell you for over 3 weeks now on ALL communications channels that the changes that you did to the workflow and to the app itself are not what users want and you just stick to your "read the docs, it's clear and the process is simpler" bla bla bla.

If people are telling you that it's not simpler and it's not better, than maybe it's time to take a step back and think instead trying to convince them that they're goats or something?

Let me put it this way - do you really think that your grandma would understand all the steps that need to be taken to get IT support with this new workflow? Most clients should be treated like your own grandma because they're not IT people!! This used to be the power of TeamViewer - you just need to explain how to install the app or run it if it's already installed, ask for a photo of the ID and pass and that's it - you can take it from there. Now it's not possible anymore and if person asking for help doesn't have access to email to receive a session invite then you're left with installing **Third Party Product** or any other app.

WELL DONE TeamViewer! Really great job!

I don't think I paid for TeamViewer subscription to use a different tool in the end, but you will probably prove me wrong somehow by linking to another amazing knowledgebase article that doesn't change anything...

I guess you don't care for the ones that in the end provide you your salary so I'm not gonna contribute to that anymore - good thing is that my subscription ends in 3 months from now - I have plenty of time to find a different solution and migrate all my contacts.

I would have never expected such lack of respect for your own clients, but it is what it is.

Just amazing...

• cheese62
    cheese62 Posts: 10 ✭✭

@B123 has saved me a lot of typing.

I have just used the regestry switch to go back to the old UI for an install I have just done. I don't shy away from good change but on this occasion I don't believe this is good.

Remember, most of us doing support are dealing with users who have little ability when it comes to computers. Oh the stories we could tell you!

It feels well intentioned but that doesn't always make it good. TV was a great product as well, particularly for smaller businesses, like mine, where probably 75% of what I do remotely is out of hours unattended. Yes the Host might work and I am fortunate to have the time and spare computers to test if this actually works.

Now, what about Linux users. I currently have unattended access set up on approximately 15 linux boxes to carry out various out of hours check, tests, etc. Is there a host for this and will I need to visit every one of the sites to change the TV from the current install to the Host?

This is just a suggestion but why not look at leaving the either or option on and installing to the old version with the option of switching to the new (or indeed the other way round). I am assuming you can analyse data in the background to see who switches and who stays on the old version. I think you might be surprised how many people would revert to old.

To put it bluntly this feels like Windows 8 - an idea that seemed good in a meeting somewhere.

One final question - how many of the people who made this change are actually involved in the sorts of rolls that I and many others are in of offering differing types of support that are sometimes attended, sometimes not?

If you have a UK office, I would be happy to come in and talk through how I feel about this - maybe that tells you how strong my feelings are.

• JeanK

Hi @B123,

Hi all,

Make "TeamViewer Host" much easier to download from the main webpage

We heard the feedback and restricted the Download page accordingly so the modules (Host, QuickSupport) are easier to find.

Please check it out here: https://www.teamviewer.com/en/download/, and don't hesitate to provide feedback.

Make the TeamViewer ID and password visible as the first item that shows up

Here as well, this is the feedback that has been reported a lot.

We addressed this concern in our latest release (v15.42.4, released today, 23rd of May). Users can now immediately see (as it used to be in the old interface) from the start interface, right after they open TeamViewer their ID and password.

More information here: Where to find my ID and password?

📌Note: You can download the new version from our website here.

No new session workflow the TeamViewer Host?

Correct, session links do not work with the TeamViewer Host. The TeamViewer Host is a module designed for unattended access (accessing a device with no one on the other side). Once the Host is installed, you can assign it to your account via the Manage this device button and connect to your device anytime.

More information here: Connect to a remote device (unattended access)

Don't automatically install TeamViewer as a service

The TeamViewer Host has to be installed as a service as it has to be always reachable at any time.

I can ask our dedicated team for more insights about this topic, but it's nothing we can change, I'm afraid.

Stop assuming all of this can be solved by using "Managing this device"

100% agree - we need to diversify the use-case possibilities, and our team is currently evaluating this.

We will keep you posted once new connection methods are available to make sure we cover all possible use cases.

Let's keep in touch, and don't hesitate to keep providing feedback. The more we discuss, the more we can address your valuable feedback and the better/faster the software improvements will be.

Have a great day, and hope to talk to you soon!

/JeanK

Community Manager

• koimark
    koimark Posts: 1
    edited May 2023

THANK YOU! I was already determined to switch my company from Teamviewer to **Third Party Product**. Most of guests are installed as service but there are urgent needs that demands sudden actions and this session bases approach is not so elegant.

Still tempted by free **Third Party Product**...

• Swagers_Compudent
    Swagers_Compudent Posts: 1
    edited May 2023

One simple question: WHY???

Nobody within our company understands anything of this new version and all of them are refusing to work with this new

$%^$%!#@$%&*()^ version.

They have even asked me, if we can switch to another remote support system and I am considering to agree on them and migrate to **Third Party Product** ore similar.

It is made so unclearly complicated

• jasonfollett
    jasonfollett Posts: 1

Hello,

I need to connect to end user machines with elevated rights. In the old version I would assist them in navigating to Settings/Security/Rules for connections to this computer/Windows logon/Allowed. Is this still possible with out them creating an account first.

Thank you,

Jason

• JeanK

Hello @jasonfollett,

Yes, this is now possible with the latest release [Windows] v15.42.4.

Please learn how to connect via Windows authentication here:

📄 Control UAC during a TeamViewer session

Let me know if this has worked for you!

/JeanK

Community Manager

• cheese62
    cheese62 Posts: 10 ✭✭

I still can't figure how to stop the password changing on the host only version, which makes the whole out of hours support impossible because nobody is there to read it to me.

Old version. It just works. You install and it is always there.

Help would be appreciated.

• JeanK

Hi @cheese62 ,

Thank you for your post and great username, by the way, 🤓🧀.

You can prevent the password from changing in the Host's Advanced settings.

In Advanced settings for connection to this computer, you can change the Random password after each session setting to Keep current. This way, the password will not change after each session.

However, let me note here that using the random password is not the best practice we recommend when it comes to unattended access (as far as I can understand, usually, there is no one on the remote side to give you the password).

This is why I highly recommend adding the Host to your company profile as a managed device.

This way, you'll be able to connect via Easy Access with just one click without any password or people on the remote side.

You explain how to set it up here: Provide unattended remote support

Let me know how it worked on your side!

/JeanK

Community Manager

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.