Teamviewer works from tar.gz but not when installed properly (Linux, opensuse, RPM)

Taki
Taki Posts: 5 ✭✭

Hi there,

I was forced to update from version 11 to 12 because v12 was installed on my aunt's laptop. As others in the forum I got a message that Teamviewer couldn't connect to internet after I installed the RPM packages (zypper -i teamviewer....). I tried to find out what the reason was but couldn't find anything... In my desperation I then tried the tarball and was surprised that it worked without any flaws. The later also signaled me that my machine had all the needed libraries (as tv-setup checklibs as root verified, too), so IMHO something went wrong when the RPM was put together.

Is there a way to help locating the error?

I saw that it is somehow important: I'm running X Window with an NVDIA card anf KDE

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• ChristianCay
    ChristianCay Posts: 182 [Former Staff]

Hi Taki,

Thank you for your post.

Please try the following commands to fix your issue.

sudo zypper rm teamviewer
    cd /
    sudo rm -rf /home/*/.local/share/teamviewer* /home/*/.config/teamviewer /opt/teamviewer

This will remove TeamViewer using the installer and then remove all traces of files named like teamviewer.

After that please install TeamViewer 12 again.

Hope that solution works for you.

Kind regards,

Christian

Did my reply answer your question? Accept it as a solution to help others, Thanks.
  • Taki
    Taki Posts: 5 ✭✭

Hi Christian,

although I do not believed that your suggestion will result in a working Teamviewer 12, I deinstalled Teamviewer as you suggested. Your third command would have deleted all of my teamviewer installation packages and the working tarball version, too. so I used

sudo find . -name *teamviewer* 

after moving to the root directory to find all relevant files and directories and deleted them manually.

Then I re-installed Teamviewer

sudo zypper in teamviewer_12.0.71510.i686.rpm 

and gave it a try but it still doesn't work because it thinks I haven't a working internet connection, which I of course have :)

Regardless of having the RPM installed or not, the extracted tarball works fine ...

Isn't there a way to track the issue down? Can I help you to debug it?

Kind regards,

Taki

• ChristianCay
    ChristianCay Posts: 182 [Former Staff]

Hi Taki,

Thank you for your feedback.

Yes, let's try to reproduce your environment. I will prepare a VM with your OS and default settings to make sure that everything is fine.

Is it possible to get the OS version if it's Leap or Tumbleweed 32/64 bit and any important or special configuration made to your system?

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Christian

Did my reply answer your question? Accept it as a solution to help others, Thanks.