TeamViewer 13 desktop menu missing

QPG
QPG Posts: 23 ✭✭

TeamViewer 13 for Linux is missing the menu along the top of the window of the remote session making it impossible to press CTRL-AL-DEL to log in.

There are other key functions that require access through that missing menu, too, but not being able to log in is a HUGE problem!

Comments

• DanielStm
    DanielStm Posts: 224 Staff member 🤠

Yes, I understand that some of these functions are really important. I think we will add them very soon. Did you take the survey at the end of [Update] TeamViewer 13 ?

You would want to rate remote control: toolbar/features with "as soon as possible"

Thanks for your feedback!

Linux Developer
  • QPG
    QPG Posts: 23 ✭✭

@DanielStm wrote:

Yes, I understand that some of these functions are really important. I think we will add them very soon. Did you take the survey at the end of [Update] TeamViewer 13 ?

You would want to rate remote control: toolbar/features with "as soon as possible"

Thanks for your feedback!

The Survey wasn't visible to me when I downloaded it due to it being hosted on a third-party site that was hidden by uBlock Origin. I have taken the survey now.

I find it quite disappointing that I am having to ask for the return of core features whose absence completely breaks the product. It's a bit like having to ask Mercedes to develop some tires or a steering wheel for my new car, when previous model had them. This never should have made it out of QA without basic functionailty.

I have no choice but to keep all of my clients on 12 until these basic functions return.

• DanielStm

The Survey wasn't visible to me when I downloaded it due to it being hosted on a third-party site that was hidden by uBlock Origin. I have taken the survey now.

Thanks, I added a hint there.

I find it quite disappointing that I am having to ask for the return of core features whose absence completely breaks the product.[...] This never should have made it out of QA without basic functionailty.

You don't have to ask for it, the toolbar is most likely the first feature to return anyway. Still, it's important that we understand the priorities of our users. And yet, we have many users who can use it productively already, as on many systems (Linux, macOS, Windows 8/10) Ctrl+Alt+Entf is not needed to log in, or they don't need to log in.

I have no choice but to keep all of my clients on 12 until these basic functions return.

I'll do what I can to keep this time short.

Linux Developer
  • Fitz
    Fitz Posts: 1

I concur. I cannot currently use Teamviewer on Linux to connect to a Windows computer because of this issue.

This is not a "missing feature" it's a bug, and it doesn't help us that "many users who can use it productively already". We cannot currently use this version of Teamviewer, it's broken.

• Echoing the above opinions. I can't even find where to transfer files in this version. Why would you make me pay for a new license if you're just going to remove features?

Do you have an estimate of when these problems will be fixed?

• Missing control toolbar make me unable to login on remote Windows workstations, this toolbar is mandatory ! Workaround is to have someone in front of workstation in order to hit Ctrl-Alt-Del buttons, not a solution ...

Teamviewer is useless if we are unable to connect ...

• Without toolbar, how to switch between multiple monitors?

• Hi 

Yes this version is completely useless if you have more than one monitor, and very few people have one monitor these days. I'm all for it now being a native application on Linux but don't remove fundemental functionality, this should never have been released how has this functionality been missed, this must have come up in testing?????

• I've thought about switching back to 12 because the menu isn't in 13.  Please bring the menu to 13 soon.

• DanielStm

Dear @QPG, @sysdef, @Fitz, @tdaget, @norbertsz, @DuncanF,

Please have a look: [Update: 13.0.6634] Christmas Update

@mguentz: There it is!
    @afreitas: Some bigger things should be back in January. I expect that most non-Meeting features are back in Q1.

All the best,
    Daniel

Linux Developer
  • Credit where credit is due. It is there. :)

The added toolbar doesn't look exactly the same as the Wine version, but it has multi-monitor support (which was the killer for me).

Thank you for getting the update out and thank you for making a native Linux version.

• Hi

Thanks for the quick response, unfortunatley for me this still doesn't work as I can't seem to open multiple windows, so it's back to V12 for me.

Maybe in the next release this will be more polished.

Duncan

• This is **bleep**.  My windows one at home updtated forcing me to update my linux version to be able to connect.

I run Nvidia surround at home and also have a second monitor.. My primary monitor is 5760x1080. If I cant zoom in when viewing on my laptop, then its now useless. I used to be albe to show both monitors at once and change the view to be actual size. It worked well for me.

Im going to have to rollback versions on 4 computers.  Thanks for that.

Its great that I can now switch between monitors but I require all the previous functionality reinstated too please.

• kb8doa
    kb8doa Posts: 1

With the File Transfer option now gone,
    I am quite blown away that Teamviewer would even consider dropping that option.

Terrible product management.

• DanielStm

@Khuntza wrote:

Its great that I can now switch between monitors but I require all the previous functionality reinstated too please.

@Khuntza as we are focusing on Filetransfer and Chat for the upcoming release, I expect that functionality to be back end of February or March.

@kb8doa we're dropping nothing, we're doing a Wine-less native UI from scratch. Filetransfer will be back soon, better than before.

Linux Developer
  • The approch here seems ridiculous. Why would you drop the full featured Wine version in preference of a bearly alpha native version?

Its all well and good to say that these features are retruning but you have to understand how frustrating it is even as a free user to be told to wait for features we were happily using a few weeks ago..

• I had the same issue on Ubuntu16.04.  Purge and reinstall did not solve the problem.  Back to Teamviewer12. everything works fine.

• I am facing the same problem. I needed to upgrade to TV13 because one Customer, where I do Remote-Support upgraded his Teamviewer Version to 13 and so I couldn't connect with my version 12.

After the installation of V13 on Debian I now have to deal with the crippled UI, where I can't edit or set anything...

As I bought a business license abo ,(I am using it commercial), why there was no information before the purchase, that with Linux there is in the moment no functional version of TV13 available...

Now I have paid 202€ netto (upgrade from business license version 12) for a version I can't really use for the moment. And I hope that the missing features will come out soon, because otherwise I paid for an annual license which lasts 365 days and I am only able to use it for many days less...

As a professional company (which I think you are) I expect from you that you develop a stable native version parallel to the Wine version and replace it when it is stable and has all features!

Best regards.

• You are right!

TV13 is a crippled product!

It's very unprofessional from Teamviewer company! Shame on Teamviewer!

• Totally agree with you
    I have been working in IT for long time and never seen updates with core features removal. 
    One must only add new features, and sometimes deprecate old one but still leave them workable at least within 1-2 major versions. 

• TrueLuck3
    TrueLuck3 Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited December 2021

Yup, no forward compatablity is a common practice for TeamViewer.  Had to do the same thing for the same reason - two of my 50+ remote clients either upgraded the client or already had a newer version installed.  It cost me $700 USD for my upgrade from version 11 though, and that's the yearly subscription pricing - so I guess you did better than I did.  I went with the subscription based pricing because the perpetual license wouldve cost about $2k USD.  This way I can service my existing clients while transitioning to another vendor - currently looking at **Third Party Product** (formally **Third Party Product**).

• dm73
    dm73 Posts: 2

I have also purchased a commercial v13 license (shortly after purchasing v12 license)as a multitude of our clients upgraded to 13.

Now for my monthly management meeting i have to run arround and find a windows machine to connect. The answer from TV is always soon...nobody will commit to a timeframe.

Has anyone here succesfully downgraded from v13 to v12 because i sure as **bleep** cant.

even installing the old teamviewer_12.0.90041_amd64.deb file results in v13 being installed.

Not very happy with TV currently.

• DuncanF
    DuncanF Posts: 3

Hi

Yes I did manage to downgrade from 13 to 12 (twice) as 13 was just so pants and I wasn't able to use it the same way as TV 12. I'm trying to remember how I rolled it back, I think I had to delete the TV folder and reinstall.

Hopefully TV will fix the menu issues and make it work the same as version 12, then we can all move on (Happy Days)

• DanielStm

@dm73 there is absolutely no way that an installed TV12 somehow turns into a TV13.
    Most likely, you picked the wrong package and did not notice that the installation failed, leaving the TV13 installation in place. Explaining why the TV12-64bit package is wrong for 99% of our users is one of the reasons why I prefer the native version a lot. Pick the i386 multiarch version and it should work fine. The other one is only for really old 64 bit systems.
    Downgrading works as smooth as downloading, double-clicking or apt-installing it.

For occasional meetings, just download/extract the TV12 tar package and start it with a single click. (If TV13 is also installed/running, you will have to restart it after closing TV12 to make it work again: teamviewer daemon restart)
    How to use the TAR package for Linux

Get DEB or TAR here: https://www.teamviewer.com/download/previous-versions/

@DuncanF there is no reason to manually delete TeamViewer folders (except maybe rarely the profile folders in $HOME). The package manager does a very good job at that. Switching between versions works very smoothly, I've not heard about any bugs in years.

The original post here is four months old and we have released 3 updates. Ctrl+Alt+Del was fixed 3 months ago. Most toolbar items that are still missing should be in the next update.
    [Update: 13.0.6634] Christmas Update
    [Update: 13.0.9865] File Transfer & Chat
    [Update: 13.1.3026] Spring Update

Cheers,
    Daniel

Linux Developer
  • dm73
    dm73 Posts: 2

@DanielStm Thanks for your reply.

Downloaded the TV12 tar and meetings now work. Thanks for that. It will help greatly.

Maybe there is something wrong with my system who knows but if i remove TV13 and install 12 from my initial deb package it definately opens up as 13. I will do this again tommorow and report back. This is what happened last time. 

Thanks anyway for your suggestion. It helped a lot.

Regards