Show black screen monitor driver keeps prompting

The computer is set to disable remote input and show black screen, and the driver prompt pops up and requires to be installed. This used to only happen once.

Now whenever we reconnect to the computer, the monitor driver prompts to be installed again each time we restart the session. 

Comments

• Reyhan
    Reyhan Posts: 269 Staff member 🤠

Hi @ParadoxFaith

Thank you for your post.

Have you try to set the function "shows black screen" as default?

Please sign in with your TeamViewer account in your Computer&Contact list. Select the device where you want to set the default settings.

PC_option1.JPG
    Click on the gear wheel will open the properties:

PC_Option3.png

Down left you find the button to open the advanced properties:

PC_Option4.JPG
    Please choose the "Action Settings" --> "Remote input" 
    Disable remote input and show black screen 

PC_option5.jpg

Now every remote session to this ID/computer will automatically starts with this default settings. The monitor driver should only be installed once on this computer.

I hope this is helpful.

Did my reply answer your question? Please accept it as a solution to help others, Thanks.
    Reyhan
  • Unfortunately, that's what I'm trying to get at. That's what we've done, and the driver insists to be reinstalled every time we connect to the computer.

• Reyhan
    Reyhan Posts: 269 Staff member 🤠

Hi @ParadoxFaith

Thank you for your fast reply.

Could you please try this:

Please go into the TeamViewer option on the remote computer, then to Advanced, scoll down to "Advanced network settings". How are the settings for monitor driver?

If the button for the monitor driver says "Install" (means it's currently not installed) or else "Uninstall" (means it's currently installed)

If it's currently not installed, please try installing it via the button there. Does it work? If you clicks OK to exit the options, and go back into the options again, is the monitor driver still showing as being installed?

Please let me know, if it worked :smileywink:

Did my reply answer your question? Please accept it as a solution to help others, Thanks.
    Reyhan
  • I'm experiencing this problem right now. I've tried both solutions but it doesn't seem to work. 

• Ingo1
    Ingo1 Posts: 1

Same Problem here. Tried everything. I am running Teamviewer version 12.0.78716. The host ist on Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard.

The Monitor driver intall button in the advanced network settings is greyed out.

Is there a way to install the monitor driver manuel?

• david-johnson
    david-johnson Posts: 6 ✭✭

We have the exact same issue.  The install monitor driver comes up every single time we connect. (Windows 10-1703, x64)

In the Advanced Network settings, install monitor driver is greyed out.

Help!

Update: I've confirmed the same behavior on multiple W10-1703 machines.  Further, if you continue without installing the driver, the screen on the remote computer is NOT blacked out even though the box is checked on the local computer.  This is BAD!  Even if you select install monitor driver, ultimately the screen does NOT black out even though the box is checked.

After you do "install monitor driver" windows returns the remote computer to the login screen.  When you click on the screen, you get a TeamViewer dialog for about a quarter of a second (which i had to take video of to even see the text) which reads "The screen cannot be captured at the moment.  This is probably due to fast user switching or a disconnected/minimized Remote Desktop session."  Confusing.

• I have same problem.  Teamviewer works perfect other than when I started trying to blank out the remote screen.  

TEAMVIEWER support - please fix this.  

David-johnson's post before this appears to have good findings.  

My findings in addition:

1) I've confirmed I'm running latest teamviewer on both local and remote PC's.  

2) Win 7 on local PC, Win10 on remote PC.  Both are patched to current Microsoft Windows Update.  

3) The problem appears to be with the install of the unsigned teamviewer monitor driver.  I believe the install fails, due to Win10 security settings, causing Teamviewer to revert to using whatever backup driver.  When the backup driver is used, my results are that the screen flips back and forth between the lock/background screen, and the windows desktop.  I'm guessing it's actually displaying the same results as david-johnson found.  

4) I've validated that I can get the remote screen to be blank and disable remote input correctly, ONLY by rebooting windows and telling it to allow unsigned monitor drivers.  I did this temporarily using option 2 here (https://www.howtogeek.com/167723/how-to-disable-driver-signature-verification-on-64-bit-windows-8.1-so-that-you-can-install-unsigned-drivers/) in order to prove this out, but can't do this permanently as this is a huge security risk that my IT professional expertise simply won't allow.  

Please fix this teamviewer support...I think you only need to get your monitor driver signed with Microsoft to make this simple fix.  Thanks in advance - great product otherwise!!!

• I have the same problem, and hat for multiple TV versions. They do this all the time. They know that Win10 only accepts signed drivers, yet from time to time there seems to be some problem with the driver signature.

• david-johnson

OK, I was just able to get this working again!  Here's what worked for me (again W10 v1703 x64), but YMMV.

I went into Device Manager and chose 'uninstall device' for each monitor.  Then, rescan for hardware changes.  This added them back.  Then, I ran 'update driver' for each monitor.  Select "Browse my computer for driver software", and "Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computers".  As long as you have previously installed the TeamViewer driver at some point, you should see "PnP-Monitor (Standard)" as an available driver.  Selecting this driver did the trick!

Once that was the driver for each monitor, blacking out the screen started working again!

Hope that helps someone else!

• I think I managed to fix my problem, I'm connecting to a laptop, and if the lid is closed, it doesn't work properly. If we keep the lid up, it's fine.

• pocwiard
    pocwiard Posts: 2 ✭✭

This stil ldoes not work on Windows 10, it says it cannot verify the digital signature. 

• stevenlee
    stevenlee Posts: 5 ✭✭

I'm having the same problem with one specific computer. W10 Pro 1703. 

I have tried all of the recommended steps except for allowing unsigned drivers. 

I have to connect to this particular computer with the screen blacked out all the time. So I set that up in Properties, Advanced, Remote Input. 

Every time I connect, and then log in, I get prompted to install the monitor driver. When I do that, the screen locks and I have to log in again. 

I'm using TV version 13 beta on the host and on my end as well. I had the same issue with version 12. 

Is there a fix in the works for this? 

Thanks,

Steven

• I'm glad OP figured out a workaroud. The issue of the TV monitor driver persists in windows 10 though. Teamviewer guys: please sign your drivers in accordance with requirements for Windows 10. Your driver does not install otherwise! This issue has been about since version 12. You want subscriptions, you want upgrades?

• This has worked for me recently but today I find that the advanced properties is not showing for any pc on console.

I have properties but nothing else

• Well I suppose you at least have responded, but its fairly obvious that the suggestion is nothing more than a shot in the dark and were it even in the same ballpark as the ultimate solution,  it is not a solution for anyone that might have this issue arise, which if you intend to stay relevant, let alone respectable, it goes without saying that the disregard for attending this issue across numerous major revisions begs the question, “Can I really depend on the overall competence of a development team that neglects to address a fundamental security practice no less common practice than having a valid license is to one that operates a vehicle?" To be 100% forthright, your product is nothing short of one of my top three most talked about utilities as well as one I have used consistently since version 7 or 8... The black screen feature is fundamentally core though however to "closing the sale" - by which I mean inducting another "personal-use only" user though as until YOUR TEAM can close this LONG LASTING AND FAR TOO COMMON DEFECT, you're product is not one that I feel I can extend a professional reference for use in commercial settings as it places the value of my word in jeopardy. Stop obsessing over the aesthetics of your gui and what flashy new design you can kill your time inflating your latest version with and recognize a critical defect that is a direct threat to the TeamViewer name and long term growth before it further blemishes your company. It's pretty simple - Signed... Driver.... aaaaand GO! :|

• david-johnson

Well, this response is more of an FYI to any TeamViewer personnel who read this thread (if any).  We will not be renewing anymore with TeamViewer SPECIFICALLY because of this issue.  We have had to select a different tool to meet our needs.  That's how serious this issue is to your customers.

Could we ever return?  All I can say at this point is don't even ask unless this issue is resolved first.

• RussH1
    RussH1 Posts: 1

You would get a 10 out of 10, if you digitally signed the "PnP-Monitor (Standard)" drivers like everyone else is asking on your forums.

(So we can use them in W10 and get the monitors on the host blacked out).

This is really easy for you to do. You just need to sort your act out and get on to it. It should take 1 of your devs about 30 mins tops to do this...

Please do this and then let us all know on this post when its done.
    ... Go on - stop reading this and ankle tap a dev...
    ... Offer them a coffee or something
    ... Or mayyybbbe even a doughnut 

;-) 
    Ta 

• fors6630
    fors6630 Posts: 2
    Team Viewer Employees -

I have to agree with this thread. This is dumb that these drivers are not signed for windows 10.

30 minutes of work plus deployment and testing as part of your normal release cycle would get this valuable functionality complete.

Please make us all proud of you. Thank you in advance.

—Rob
  • tAp
    tAp Posts: 14

The TeamViewer GmbH code signing certficate expired ‎Saturday, ‎March ‎3, ‎2018 4:59:59 PM. That is why Windows cannot verify the digital signature for the drivers and will not install the driver.. 

• DavidAU
    DavidAU Posts: 1

What did you change to? We are in the same boat :(

@david-johnson wrote:

Well, this response is more of an FYI to any TeamViewer personnel who read this thread (if any).  We will not be renewing anymore with TeamViewer SPECIFICALLY because of this issue.  We have had to select a different tool to meet our needs.  That's how serious this issue is to your customers.

Could we ever return?  All I can say at this point is don't even ask unless this issue is resolved first.

• david-johnson
    edited December 2021

**Third Party Product**