Unable to blank screen and disable keyboard of the remote machine

adeokar
adeokar Posts: 5 ✭✭
edited May 2023 in General questions

Hi,

I am using TeamViewer 12 host from my Mac machine to access another Mac machine. I do not see the option to blank the remote screen and disable  the keyboard enabled on the host computer after I connect. Since I am using this for unattened access, is a security concern for me.

Screen shots are as follows...

2017-01-10 08_33_12-.pngHost DetailsHost DetailsRemote Machine DetailsRemote Machine DetailsHost side options after connectingHost side options after connecting

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• Scotty
    Scotty Posts: 493 Staff member 🤠

Hi adeokar,

Thanks for your post!

Unfortunately, due to some restrictions in Mac OS, we do not have the ability to disable the remote input or blank out the remote screen. This is currently in as a feature request, but there are some technical restrictions in doing this.

If anyone else would like this feature, can you please "kudo" adeokars post.

I am sorry for any hassle.

-Scotty

Senior Moderator
    Did my reply answer your question? Why not accept it as a solution to help others?
  • adeokar

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, which does not solve the issue, but does help me with the information. Please post again once a solution is available.

• Scotty

Hi adeokar,

I apologise for the hassle and that my answer did not solve your issue, however I do not have the ability to implement this feature for you.

As the community is a live forum and we have a lot of posts to manage, I will not be able to post if a solution becomes available. However as advised in the ticket you raised with us, you will recieve an email from our development team if this feature becomes available.

-Scotty

Senior Moderator
    Did my reply answer your question? Why not accept it as a solution to help others?
  • geebor
    geebor Posts: 1

I am having this issue as well.

• Shaf
    Shaf Posts: 2

@Scotty

This is a major feature that is highly required for business users. Especially, if your employer is a government contractor with security/privacy policies. Others cannot observe computer activites without proper concent/protocol. Please make this feature at the top of the list for your developers as there are thousands of government contractors.

I work in an all Windows company with two workstations being MACOS. Unfortunately, our employer cannot give us Microsoft Remote Desktop access. The alternative would be a peer-to-peer connection. 

Disabling remote connection monitors on MAC platforms is a critical issue and must be looked at it from your software company's prespective. Thanks.

-=Shaf=-

• a931288n
    a931288n Posts: 1

Any Updates of this?

Thanks

• Shaf
    Shaf Posts: 2

Nope, I am very disspointed by this company's lack of action. They recently release a new version of TeamViewer but still failed to make this critical MAC update. What does it take for the developers to listen to thier users? Do they not monitor this forum?

• Scotty

Hi Everyone,

To clarify, this is a physical restriction on Mac OS that we would need to overcome.

Of course we read the forums and of course we have taken this as feedback, however this is not just a simple fix. On Windows devices, to make this possible we had to make a whole new monitor driver that can collect the information to be sent and then stop the signal from being sent to the remote sides screen.

On Mac OS, this is not an option as drivers cannot be changed in this way and is one of the problems with designing remote control software for a more restricted environment. This is the same reason we cannot transmit sound from the local device because "virtual hardware" is also not an option on Mac OS.

So although I understand your frustration in wanting this feature and I apologise, this is not something that we will be able to do until we find a viable solution to these problems which we are not likeley to do in the near future.

-Scotty

Senior Moderator
  • adeokar
    edited January 2023

Scotty.

I appreciate your response, however your competitor  (**Third Party Product**) supports such a feature. Also Apple Remote Desktop (Curtian mode) implements the capability to hide remote actions to be displayed to the user. So I would appreciate if you again check with your development team on the feasibility for supporting this feature. Also when controlling a remote windows machine from a Mac the screen of windows machine does not get disabled, the remote windows user can see what the actions that the person is doing using Teamviewer. 

Ashman

• adeokar

Scott,

I do have the windows display driver from Team Viewer installed on the remote Windows PC (Windows7) and when connecting I do disable the remote keyabord and the option to display remote screen is enabled. However one can see scrreen activity on the remote PC, however the keboard remains disabled.

Thanks

Ashman

@Scotty wrote:

Hi @adeokar,

All I can say is that blanking out the remote screen of a Mac is not possible with TeamViewer at the moment. This is in as a feature request, but I am not able to promise that this will become a feature.

However you can definitely blank out the remote screen of a Windows device from a Mac.

1) The display driver may be installed on the windows side
    2) you will need to disable remote input before you can blank out the screen from a Mac.

Again, I apologise as I know this feature is important to you, but I don't have the ability to implement changes to the software and this has already been forwarded to our development team.

-Scotty

• Although the main issue in this thread is blanking the remote screen from mac to mac, since the mod mentioned this is possible with mac to win, I'll add that this issue exists for mac to ubuntu as well:blankscreen.png

Also, when you go to a computer's properties inside the "Computers and Contacts" window, there is no "advanced" option when doing this in Mac but there is in Windows:

mac-properties.png

win10-properties.png

• Z4L
    Z4L Posts: 1

Is there any new to this topic?

• vbdixon1
    vbdixon1 Posts: 1
    This is a free app. If you require certain features buy an app with them and just thank teamviewer for its service
  • ManitC
    ManitC Posts: 2

This is also broken in Windows 7 and has been for about 2 years. It has something to do with drivers graphics monitors. I think the dev team needs to look how they have implmented the black screen functionality and find a solution. 

I am forced to look at other alternatives to TeamViewer.

• adeokar

The paid version of the app also has the same issue I paid for the product but since had the issue have to canceled my subscription and I am waiting for them to address the bug, both on windows and Mac.

• Hi Scotty,

Thanks for explaining the complexities of black screen feature for remote systems.  I'm having trouble installing the Teamviewer Display Driver in Win10 on a remote machine.  After checking the box in TV 13 for Show Black Screen, I Disabled Remote Input, and chose to install the Display Driver.  There was an error - something about unacceptable security certificate (I regrettably didn't capture the exact error, being in a rush).  So, when I confirmed it didn't work,rebooted the remote PC and logged back in.  Still didnt' work.  I looked at Device Driver and there was the yellow caution triangle over the TV Display Driver.  I ultimately deleted the driver, thinking that TV may notice this next round and reinstall.  But now, a very odd thing happens.  When I click to install the driver, after a delay, it takes me to the Windows Lock Screensaver, requiring ctl-alt-del.  Same story - no driver.

I've been unable to find the driver to download and reinstall - can you help?

Thanks

• I posted the quoted text below a bit soon.  The driver did install the 2nd time, so the the issue really is the Teamview Device Drier won't install completely (Win10 64bit...single monitor desktop install remote system...similar system on my end) due to this error...see more details in the screenshot. 

• "Windows cannot verify the digital signature for the drivers required for this device. A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged, or that might be malicious software from an unknown source. (Code 52)"

This is the link from Microsoft describing the error.  This sounds like the driver is not correctly digitally signed, and it requires the developer to make some adjustments.  Is this correct, or is there another way to install this - say loosen a particular security setting (I trust Teamviewer)?  Thanks, this is currently a showstopper at the moment. 

Device Driver screenshotDevice Driver screenshot

@arejaw wrote:

Hi Scotty,

Thanks for explaining the complexities of black screen feature for remote systems.  I'm having trouble installing the Teamviewer Display Driver in Win10 on a remote machine.  After checking the box in TV 13 for Show Black Screen, I Disabled Remote Input, and chose to install the Display Driver.  There was an error - something about unacceptable security certificate (I regrettably didn't capture the exact error, being in a rush).  So, when I confirmed it didn't work,rebooted the remote PC and logged back in.  Still didnt' work.  I looked at Device Driver and there was the yellow caution triangle over the TV Display Driver.  I ultimately deleted the driver, thinking that TV may notice this next round and reinstall.  But now, a very odd thing happens.  When I click to install the driver, after a delay, it takes me to the Windows Lock Screensaver, requiring ctl-alt-del.  Same story - no driver.

I've been unable to find the driver to download and reinstall - can you help?

Thanks

• Dashorox
    Dashorox Posts: 1
    edited December 2021

**Third Party Product** also supports blanking out the remote computer on Mac as a feature -- so TeamViewer's excuses here are really falling flat.

@adeokarwrote:

Scotty.

I appreciate your response, however your competitor  (**Third Party Product**) supports such a feature. Also Apple Remote Desktop (Curtian mode) implements the capability to hide remote actions to be displayed to the user. So I would appreciate if you again check with your development team on the feasibility for supporting this feature. Also when controlling a remote windows machine from a Mac the screen of windows machine does not get disabled, the remote windows user can see what the actions that the person is doing using Teamviewer. 

Ashman

• Agreed, with multiple competitive vendors having a solution already (and have for over a year now), this claim just falls flat and comes off as tone deaf to the customer.

@Dashorox wrote:

**Third Party Product** also supports blanking out the remote computer on Mac as a feature -- so TeamViewer's excuses here are really falling flat.

@adeokarwrote:

Scotty.

Ashman