Passwords: the Community Password and Teamviewer Software Password

I have, by trial and error, satisfied myself that there is only one password for both the Teamviewer software and for this Community forum.

I was confused because when I start Teamviewer in order to access my other PCs (I have 5) the Teamviewer window opens at the "Computers and Contacts" window, and shows my 5 computers under "Recent Connections". I rarely enter my email address or password so they must both be saved in my profile in the software.

Then, recently, when I wanted to ask a question on this community, I was asked to sign in and I assumed that the community forum software wanted me to sign in with a new password - I assumed I was a "new user" on the forum and needed to create a new account. So I entered a new password. I can't remember the exact process involved but later discovered that I had to change the password to the Teamviewer software on my computers to the same "forum" password in order to access my other computers.

So if this Commmunity password also gives me access to my computers, where is the security to stop other people accessing my computers if they discover the password?

I'm sure the security is there, and is tied in with the computer IDs and passwords that I see in the "Allow Remote Control" window of the Teamviewer software. But I would appreciate it if it could be explained how this information is kept secure and safe from another person who has my Teamviewer password.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Best Answer

Answers

• Esther
    Esther Posts: 4,052 Former Community Manager

Hi @RDN 

Thanks for your question and welcome to the TeamViewer Community.

To offer the best experience for all our users and customers, we are using the same account for the Community and your TeamViewer. With that way, you only need to login to our forum with your exisiting TeamViewer account and choose a user name to be part of the TeamViewer Community.

In regard to your concerns about security: The TeamViewer account and your Community account are protected by your password plus Two-factor authentication or the Trusted Devices feature. 

Both are providing an extra layer of security for your TeamViewer Account.

So, you do not have to worry that people can simply access your account by knowing your password. However - I am recommending to change all your passwords regularly. 

I hope this information helps you.

Thanks and have a great weekend,

Esther

Former Community Manager

• RDN
    RDN Posts: 8

Hi Esther,

Thanks for the clarification. I knew it - the security - had to be there, I just wasn't sure where it was.

A side issue: As I said in my original post, I have 5 computers. One of them is in the kitchen and is used occasionally for streaming news from the internet, the other 4 are in my "Computer room". One is an old Samsung Netbook, one is an Asus Ultrabook, and then I have 2 desktop PCs, both built by myself.

I like to keep them updated by copying my scripts/batch files/command files and free software to them all using "shares". But I also use Teamviewer to access the PCs to check they run OK. Some of them have small screens and it is much easier to do from my main PC screen than the individual screens. But every time I start Teamviewer it always states "COMMERCIAL USE SUSPECTED". I am retired and I am an ex-software developer and maintain these PCs just as a hobby.

So I was wondering if there was any way this message would one day stop me being able to access the other PCs? I could continue my hobby without using Teamviewer, but I would rather keep the Teamviewer access. 

Any thoughts on this? I did check the price of Teamviewer licenses but I simply couldn't afford the monthly payments.

• RDN
    RDN Posts: 8

Thanks Esther - I just completed and submitted the form.

Regards,

Roger.