Audio quality depreciates when connecting via TeamViewer

Hi everyone,

I've been using Teamviewer between my Windows machines for years. I recently got a Macbook Pro, and have been using it to connect to my Windows desktop at home. Everything with the remote connection and control works perfectly.

However, I often listen to music on my Macbook while connected to my Windows computer. Whenever I open a connection through Teamviewer, the audio quality on my Macbook becomes considerably lower. If I close the connection, it reverts to the normal, crystal clear quality.

I've tried every setting that pertains to audio in the Teamviewer settings on both the Windows desktop and the Macbook, including disabling audio from the remote computer, but to no avail. I also ran into the same issue when opening the preferences on the Mac and going to the audio tab (without having an open connection to the desktop). 

Any help to solve this would be greatly appreciated!

Best Answer

• TeamViewerJF
    TeamViewerJF Posts: 1
    Answer ✓

To me this seems to be a Windows problem. Right click on the computer sounds in the bottom right hand corner of your computer. Click Sounds. Change the setting from Reduce the volume of other sounds by 80% to Do nothing. This worked for me and a coworker.

Answers

• Szienz
    Szienz Posts: 26 ✭✭

I have the same problem, but it is the sound via Skype that becomes very distant. 
    Problematic as this is usually a combo for help with QS

• Szienz

I found an earlier post by Scotty that may solve this issue. I quote:

If you aren't using TeamViewer VoIP, the only way I can find to stop the audio from lowering is to change the default audio device output for TeamViewer before making a connection as only the audio device it is trying to play through should get ducked.

This can be done under "Audio Confrencing" in the options of TeamViewer

I have tested this and the audio does play at the correct volume during the connection (It does dip just as the connection is being established)

end quote

• Habi7a7
    Habi7a7 Posts: 3

Unfortunately, that did not work for me. I still get the low-volume, warbled, low-quality audio when connecting to a session.

Actually, I don't even need to connect to a session. Just going to the audio tab in the Teamviewer preferences causes the issue. If I go to a different tab, it switches back to normal audio. 

• Szienz

Unfortunately, switching tabs did not solve the issue for me, the sound is almost completely suppressed. I tested TV pref settings on both sides, but none of the settings would overcome this.

I see similar posts here with the same complaint. Obviously the last version introduced this problem as I have nevers seen this issue before and I use TV since v4. 

It is a nuisance that the TV developers should fix.

• Habi7a7
    Habi7a7 Posts: 3

I can confirm it's a TV12 issue. I downgraded to v11.0.76421 on my Windows PC and v11.0.73955 on my Macbook and the audio worked perfectly when connecting.

• Scotty
    Scotty Posts: 493 Staff member 🤠

Hey Everyone!

Please make sure to check out this other thread for this here

We are aware of this issue, and we have a temporary fix provided by Julia who is one of our supporters here

-Scotty

Senior Moderator
    Did my reply answer your question? Why not accept it as a solution to help others?
  • tiagop717
    tiagop717 Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited September 2022

Everytime I seeing someone else's computer, the volume of the microphone in Windows settings decreases 10 by 10.

I noticed that if I speak loud enough that the microphone volume bar hits max, the volume on Windows setting will be decreased to 90 and I can't increase it back to 100. If the max is reached again, it goes to 80 and so on.

Until I close the remote connection, I'm not able to regain microphone volume and people start not hearing what I'm saying.  When I close the connection I'm able to increase the volume back to 100.

This only happens when I have a remote connection looking at another computer.

Please look into this. I thought it was my sound drivers, but I have used more than one version and it only happens with Teamviewer.

Thanks.

• JLT
    JLT Posts: 7

I too have this issue. It happens to both parties - whenever teamviewer is active as TeamViewer supports voice chat. For me, when the noise threshold is reached (configurable in TeamViewer under options > Audio conferencing) it does decrease the voume of the microphone and then locks it in place. This locking feature is undesirable.

Real world example is your dog comes up to you and barks. A bark is quite loud. This will lock the microphone at a lower volume making it hard for others to hear you. The volume should fluctuate, reducing the volume with louder signals and increasing the volume for quieter signals. I think Windows does this natively but if not, then it's Chrome as I always have that open. With TeamViewer closed, the volume does fluctuate.

Edit: furthermore, TeamViewer should not adjust the microphone volume when the microphone is muted. I use other platforms for voice chat so my microphone in TeamViewer is always muted but yet the volume is still affected.

• tiagop717
    tiagop717 Posts: 2 ✭✭

Thanks for replying. Hopefully the devs will acknowledge this issue soon.

For the time being, I found a workaround that might be useful for people with this issue. By going to Teamviewer options, inside Audio Conferencing, you can select a different microphone besides the one you actually need to use, like Sound Mixing. If your sound card presents you with something like this, just choose that for Teamviewer and your main microphone should be unaffected.

• JLT

I did think of this too and it's what I may do.

What I've done at the moment is used a "VolumeLock" thing (14 day trial) which works fine although I would rather not use this long term as there is a proper use for having the volume decrease in loud environments and increase in quiet environments.

I'm not sure how to gain the attention of the devs. This issue has been posted about a few times and has been present for around a year to my recollection so I'm surprised they haven't took notice.

• Yes we use SIP phones and this is becoming an increasingly big issue. When we open team viewer it auto corrects the volume so low that our customers cant hear us at all.
  • JLT
    I don't use Skype so I can't clarify if Skype overrides Teamviewer's mic volume. Regardless though, this is clearly a bug and shouldn't require third part apps to fix.
  • Natascha
    Natascha Posts: 1,591 Moderator

Hi there, 

Thank you for your posts. 

Maybe the following workaround helps to fix your issue: 

Please right click on the speakers item in the tray menu --> Open "Sounds" --> Go to "Communication" and set the value to "Do nothing". Confirm the settings and try it again. 

For further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us again. 

All the best, 
    Natascha

German Community moderator 💙 Moderatorin der deutschsprachigen Community

• Have done this already as per all the other people moaning about this it needs to be checked by development. I work in a call center and we all have the same issue. We have explored every option possible and only when you open team viewer does it adjust your volume.
  • Natascha
    Natascha Posts: 1,591 Moderator

If I already wrote as an answer to the other topic:

If you are a customer, I recommend contacting our support team.

They can have a deeper look at what happens in your case or open a ticket for our colleagues in the 2nd level. 

Thank you very much and have a great day. :) 

Best, 
    Natascha

German Community moderator 💙 Moderatorin der deutschsprachigen Community

• JLT

@Natascha wrote:

Hi there, 

Thank you for your posts. 

Maybe the following workaround helps to fix your issue: 

Please right click on the speakers item in the tray menu --> Open "Sounds" --> Go to "Communication" and set the value to "Do nothing". Confirm the settings and try it again. 

For further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us again. 

All the best, 
    Natascha

This is certainly not the issue.

The problem is that when loud audio is detected, the microphone volume is decreased and stays decreased.

Real world example:
    My volume idles at 87 under normal speaking conditions which is fine for me. When loud audio occurs such as a dog bark, the volume will drop sometimes to 40 or lower. When the dogs bark has finished, there will be no loud audio however, the volume still remains dropped making it hard for the other party to hear me speak.

What should happen instead?
    If a dog bark occurs, the volume should drop due to the audio being too loud and therefore clipping. This is great, and this is what happens anyway. What should happen is the volume should increase when there is quiet audio.

Try it yourself (Windows 10):
    Open up "Sounds" --> "Recording" and open up the properties of your microphone. Head over into the "Levels" tab. Here, you can raise or lower the volume of the microphone. Keep this open. Open up teamviewer and make a presentation (remote control might also have this issue - I haven't tested that). Create a loud sound. You will see the volume of the microphone decrease, and you will also see that it doesn't increase. If you tried to manually increase the volume, it will get reset back to that decreased state that Teamviewer has set.

• luvini
    luvini Posts: 1

i have been having this problem for the past 3 years, so i made this AutoHotKey script, it forces the mic volume to be set to 100 every 100ms (10x per second)  for device 6 (my mic, your device number may be different)

#singleinstance force
    loop
    {
    SoundSet, 100, Master, Volume, 6
    SoundSet, 100, N/A, Volume, 6
    sleep 100
    }

There is the "set the recording device of TeamViewer to a different one" approach, but then you have no way to make calls from within TeamViewer, so my script solves that.

Still. TeamViewer SHOULD FIX THIS, we should not have to rely on my script for that long

even Skype have a button to enable/disable auto adjusting of mic volume, why does TeamViewer have to have this forced on without a way to disable?

• dzonila
    dzonila Posts: 1

Idk if you tried this but I have TV 14, and I went to options/remote control and there you have an option ''play computer sounds and music''. Unless you need those sounds you can just turn those off, but if you do need sounds I can't help since I also tried everything.

• MannyM
    MannyM Posts: 1

The problem can clearly be visualized by going to Meeting -> Extras -> Options -> Audio conferencing. There, look at the live signal cursor of the voice input. The green line is the autoadjust.

When a loud noise is detected, it moves right (reduces volume) and stays there. From that point on, the volume of this voice is decreased, the guy is told to speak louder, does so, that microphone is automatically decreased even more, etc. Very frustrating. 

Ms TeamViewer, please fix this bug!

• Please fix this, we really want to use teamviewer as we are familiar with it, but right now we will have to choose another service.

• michaelrgeddes
    michaelrgeddes Posts: 1

This needs to be fixed ASAP.

This happens when you have automatic recording on (which our company has a policy on). If you stop recording the volume restores to normal, but this is not an acceptable work-around.

• Vaimee
    Vaimee Posts: 1

This is the year 2022 and it is still not fixed.

4 years and to fix the issue you have to change your microphone in teamviewer to another non-recording device because the setting mentioned earlier does not exist anymore (Meeting -> Extras -> Options -> Audio conferencing).

You had one job.

• TeamViewerJF
    TeamViewerJF Posts: 1
    Answer ✓

To me this seems to be a Windows problem. Right click on the computer sounds in the bottom right hand corner of your computer. Click Sounds. Change the setting from Reduce the volume of other sounds by 80% to Do nothing. This worked for me and a coworker.

• TechNick
    TechNick Posts: 4 ✭✭

Didn't work for me. Something to do with Audio Conferencing. Going to that tab in Settings causes the change.

• TechNick
    TechNick Posts: 4 ✭✭

Same issue.

• TGeorgeT
    TGeorgeT Posts: 1

soon 10 years and this issue hasen't been fixed.

max prices on this sh, but programmers sleep.

• Gilu
    Gilu Posts: 1

TV 15.41.9, cannot get normal sounds on local computer while TeamViewer is running!

Did nothing.

Please advice!

• AntonDobschensky
    AntonDobschensky Posts: 18 ✭✭

yep, same issue. I've made the change in communication, it worked the first time but i'm working on testing deployments and after a reinstall it no longer corrects the issue.