Workaround for remote location with old software (won't let me log in)

finout
finout Posts: 2
edited May 2023 in General questions

Suddenly, after not logging in for months to an unattended site, I can't login because the version is too old. Apparently I could if I paid for a professional license. This is a remote house 100 miles away, and I can't get there to update it for weeks. 

Is there any kind of workaround to at least get a login that would let me remotely update the software?

Tagged:

Comments

• JeanK
    JeanK Posts: 6,973 Community Manager 🌍

Hello @finout

Thank you for your message.

Unfortunately, there is no workaround to "force a connection" in this case.

We are asking our free users with older versions of TeamViewer to update to the latest version of TeamViewer, in order to continue using the software. The latest version is currently TeamViewer 14.

You will find all the information about our update process in our Knowledge Base article here: Enjoy using the best version of TeamViewer we made so far! - How to proceed?

I recommend you to set the automatic update setting on your remote device.

You will find all the information you need in order to set this automatic update setting in our Knowledge Base article here: Enable auto update for TeamViewer

Hint: In your case, I'd recommend you to select the option All updates (includes new major versions), so you won't be bothered with this anymore.

I hope this could help. If not, do not hesitate to ask your questions here.

Cheers

Jean

Community Manager

• finout
    finout Posts: 2

So since I'm not there and no one else is, there's no longer a way to connect to this machine?

The solutions you are suggesting require someone on site right? And if I don't have someone there and can't get there (it's 100 miles away) for a few weeks, I'm just out of luck?

• JeanK
    JeanK Posts: 6,973 Community Manager 🌍

Hello @finout

Thank you for your message.

In this case, as hard as it sounds, you are out of luck.

However, the TeamViewer program doesn't block immediately. It shows several warnings that you need to update the remote side before doing a hard block. And during the warnings, it is possible to remotely connect to the device and remotely update it.

Maybe, you have clicked on OK without reading the previous warnings...

I hope you will be able to find someone who updates it for you on site.

Cheers

Jean

Community Manager

• wroshon
    wroshon Posts: 6 ✭✭

The warnings about the old versions never said that functionality would end if the remote systems weren't upgraded. I've gotten messages about "old versions" for years without any incident. 

This an arbitrary action by Teamviewer without properly informing their licensed users that their systems would suddenly fail to connect. I know that I never recieved and email warning me that my clients would have to be upgraded to version 14 by June 18 or I would no longer be able to connect to them. At worst, we should be getting a message and provided a method to remotely upgrade clients if that is what it requires instead of blocking the connection.