Cannot TeamViewer to my Synology NAS

alanwilter
alanwilter Posts: 4
edited July 2023 in General questions

I've installed TeamViewer for Synology NAS (DS212j, DSM 6.2.3-25426).

I've tried with TeamViewer 15.6.7 on macOS 10.15.5 (Catalina) and also with my iPhone TeamViewer app.

They always failed. Here is the log from my NAS:

[logs removed per Community Guidelines]

Any help would be very appreciated. 

Thanks in advance,

Alan

Comments

• coloboxp
    coloboxp Posts: 4

Same from iOS, Android and Windows 10, same version TV (15.6.7) .

Synology ds918+
    CPU: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU J3455 @ 1.50GHz
    CPU extensions: y8

• arpitjindal
    arpitjindal Posts: 68 Staff member 🤠

Hi @alanwilter 

It is currently not possible to connect to Synology from mac/iOS. Currently, it is only posible from Windows desktop.

• arpitjindal

Hi @coloboxp 

As I replied to alanwilter, currently Synology could only be connected from TeamViewer Windows desktop application.

If you are not able to connect from Windows, then please provide more information. Also, please check if the device is already assigned to your account as mentioned here https://community.teamviewer.com/t5/TeamViewer-IoT-Labs/IoT-Remote-AppControl-solution-and-Synology-NAS-boxes/td-p/33052

• Has it to be a "pure" Windows desktop?

I've intalled TV on my Windows10 VM (VirtualBox) that I run from my Mac and TV didn't work to connect to my Synology. Was it expected?

Thanks,

Alan

• coloboxp

Hi @arpitjindal 

I've tried from Windows 10 (x64, Version 1903, buikd 18362.836), using TV 15.6.7 and having on the my NAS TV 2.8.17. It does not work.

Ì've checked the link you've shared, most of that info is way outdated (I know you are aware, 1 by major version), however I could not find any information that could lead me to different results.

I've looked at https://teamviewer-iot.com/en/inventory/add-device and I see there is a version 2.10.18 available, just it's a deb package, not a spk for Synology.

Never the less, I've tried to add it via the nearby computers, didnt work. Tried by hand, and it was added, but the same error happens.

Is there any special port setup I must do?, someone mentioned the port 5939, and using the Portqry.exe command-line utility against my NAS, says the port is not reachable (tried tcp and udp).

I will send you my logs from Dekstop's and Synology's Team Viewer Instances.

Thank you for your time

• coloboxp

I just did a test and got it working, but I'd like to ask you for a bit more of your time to clarify it.

I did remove the "Virtual Machine Manager" (it had a CentOS minimal turned off), then stopped and started T.V. service and then it did appear on "nearby devices" and I could finally connect.

Is it related?, can I install again the Virtual Machine Manager and run my CentOS? or I'm stuck with either VM(s) or TV?, or are there any workarounds?

Thank you

• @coloboxp Please, can you give us more details?

- Did you test on a Windows10?

- What is "Virtual Machine Manager"? How is it TV related? Or is it VirtualVox related? And what do you mean by "remove", did you uninstall it or did you stop it running?

- By "TV Service" you mean the TV running on your computer or on Synology?

Thanks,

Alan

• arpitjindal

Hi @alanwilter 

No, it doesn't need to be "pure" Windows desktop. It should be possible from Windows VM also. Most likely you didn't assign the device to your acount. Just for the information, adding to your contact list is different then assigning to your account.

How to assignto your account:

After adding Synology in your contact, select the device in TeamViewer and there will be a small down-arrow on upper right. When you click on it, you will get the option, "Assign to account". Click on that and enter the TV Synology password. Or check this link https://community.teamviewer.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/How-do-I-assign-a-device-to-my-TeamViewer-account/ta-p/4464#toc-hId-678448061

• arpitjindal

Hi @coloboxp 

Good to know that its working now. So, I suppose,I don't have to look in your logfile anymore.

I'm not 100% sure what "Virtual Machine Manager" is changing with your network. Check if it is messing somehow with LAN settings. TeamViewer nearby only works for devices in the same LAN.

I'm pretty sure you could re-install your VM. It should not interfere with  TeamViewer connections.

In your previous message, as you mentioned that you added the device manually and still getting the same error. Most likely, you did not assign the device to your account. I posted in my previous message how to do that. Or check this link https://community.teamviewer.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/How-do-I-assign-a-device-to-my-TeamViewer-account/ta-p/4464#toc-hId-678448061

• Many thanks @coloboxp !

Indeed "assign" to account did the trick. Still does not work directly from my Mac, but it's working via Windows in my VirtualBox.

Yet, I still don't know what do you mean by "Virtual Machine Manager". Would be https://github.com/virt-manager/virt-manager ? What's the OS of your host computer?

• coloboxp

Hi @alanwilter @arpitjindal 

By Virtual Machine Manager (VMM) I mean the virtualization hypervizor from Synology (here, opens on new tab and here the package info). It's probably an adaptation of KVM or VirtualBox.

I am not sure if it was fixed by uninstalling it and restarting TV on Synology, or not.. I probably will test later once I add more RAM to the NAS to run VMs. My idea was that the VMM takes or reserves the network interface, but that's just speculation, can't reproduce at the moment.

• kristian_e
    kristian_e Posts: 2 ✭✭

Some years has passed, but it's still the same. It took time for me to distinguish between "assign to an account" and "connection credentials".

My error was to add the TeamViewer ID of my Synology NAS to my contacts and try to use the password provided for connection password. But, connection from TeamViewer client to Synology DSM does not use any connection passwords. Accepting connections relies only to the TeamViewer acccount used while logged in to the TeamViewer client which is used for connection attempt. The password provided in Synology DSM's TeamViewer service GUI is given to be able to assign the specific DSM to a specific TeamViewer account.

My understanding is that even in 2023 you can only access single Synology DSM with one TeamViewer account only.