This article applies to TeamViewer customers and Windows and macOS with a Business, Premium, Corporate, or Tensor license.
This article is for setting up and using TeamViewer Printing for remote printing as a feature.
Using the TeamViewer Printing, you can print documents from remote computers directly on a locally accessible printer. This allows you to print documents from remote computers on your own printer without the need to transfer files.
From the remote computer, you can access the same printers (including network printers) as you would on your local computer.
Remote Printing is available for Windows and macOS.
In case Windows 10 Version 1903 or 1909 is installed on the remote computer:
- If you are using TeamViewer version 14.7 or higher: Printing documents on macOS is possible with an installed XPS viewer on the local computer. Please follow the instructions below on how to use an XPS viewer
- If a TeamViewer version lower than14.7 is installed on the remote computer: We apologize that TeamViewer Printing, unfortunately, does not work due to some changes in the Windows versions. This is fixed for higher Windows versions starting with build 2004.
In case Windows 10 Version 2004 (or higher) is installed on the remote computer:
- If you are using TeamViewer version 15.5 or higher and the provided printer driver is installed: everything works as before. Due to a fix by Microsoft, we could reenable the direct printing in connections from macOS to Windows.
TeamViewer Printing on Windows
Installing remote printing driver on Windows
In order to set up TeamViewer Printing, you would first have to install the TeamViewer printer driver. You will find this option under Extras --> Options --> Advanced --> Show advanced options --> Advanced network settings --> Install TeamViewer Printer Driver
📌Note: The native format on Windows is XPS. However, with the Windows 10 April 2018 Update, Microsoft has made the XPS-Viewer an optional feature. Therefore, you will be able to select the format (PDF or XPS) to open documents with in the Advanced Settings. By default, XPS is selected. In case you have selected PDF, but do not have a PDF reader the document will be opened as XPS as a fallback.
Activating remote printing within a session on Windows
Once the drivers have been installed, you can establish a connection to your remote computer and activate remote printing in the TeamViewer toolbar 1.
Your local printers will now be displayed in the print dialog boxes on the remote computer. They will be labeled [name of the printer] via TeamViewer.
Starting a print job
To run a print job, just follow these simple steps:
- Open the document you would like to print and open your normal print dialog box 1
- Select a printer ending with via TeamViewer 2
- Start the print job 3
📌Note: Please note that if you are using Version 12 or below the remote printing function is only available for connections from Windows to Windows and that your printer needs to support PostScript or EMF. More information can be found here. -If you are not sure whether your printer supports PostScript or EMF, please go to the manufacturer’s website and search for your printer model.
TeamViewer Printing on macOS
Installing remote printing driver on a Mac
Go to TeamViewer --> Preferences --> Advanced --> Network --> Install TeamViewer Printer Driver.
Activating remote printing within a session on a Mac
Once the drivers have been installed, you can establish a connection to your remote computer and activate remote printing in the TeamViewer toolbar.
Print document with macOS using an XPS Viewer
If you are connecting from a macOS to a Windows machine, it might be necessary to have an XPS viewer installed dependent on the Windows and TeamViewer version.
1) Install an XPS Viewer of your choice on your local computer running macOS.
📌Please note: Free XPS Viewer software might come along with restrictions like limited page numbers. Please check for the viewer software that fits best your needs and note that TeamViewer does not provide any kind of support for this third-party software.
2) Follow the steps below for installation and activation (see the above two sections)
3) Open the file to be printed in your XPS viewer in the remote session.
4) Click the Print button
5) In the print dialog, choose the local printer to be used for printing and click Print.
Open document in XPS Viewer or direct printing
Due to the nature of your local client and the computer on the remote side, you may need an additional tool for printing. Each Operating System has its own standard format for printing. If you connect devices running on the same Operating System, you can directly print to any printer. If you have different Operating Systems on both sides, you might need an additional tool to start the print job.
The native format on Windows is XPS (in some versions PDF is also supported), the one on macOS is PDF.