This article applies to all TeamViewer users in a connection from Windows to Windows devices.
For the Mac TeamViewer Remote Session Toolbar, please read this article:
During a TeamViewer remote control session, the TeamViewer Remote Session Toolbar appears on the top of the screen of your local computer.
This article explains all available features of the toolbar in a Windows to Windows connection.
📌Note: The toolbar might look differently in connections between other operating systems like e.g. Mac to Windows and has fewer options.
This is the main menu of the TeamViewer toolbar:
The toolbar's functions
The following chapters describe the different features of the toolbar, starting from the left and ending on the right side of the toolbar.
X - Closing the session
With this button, you can close the remote session. If a lock symbol is visible, it means that the Windows session of the remote device will be locked after closing the TeamViewer session.
📌Note: You can change this function in the TeamViewer settings of your local computer under Extras → Options → Advanced → Advanced settings for connections to other computers --> Lock remote computer --> Choose between Always, Never, Automatic.
- Always: Will lock any remote computer after finishing a TeamViewer remote control session independently whether the computer was locked or unlocked at the beginning of the session
- Never: Will never lock the remote computer after finishing a TeamViewer remote control session regardless whether the computer was locked or unlocked at the beginning of the session
- Will lock the remote computer after finishing a TeamViewer remote control session if the computer was locked at the beginning of the session.
- Will not lock the remote computer after finishing a TeamViewer remote control session if the computer was unlocked at the beginning of the session.
👉We recommend to always use the cross button within the TeamViewer toolbar to close a TeamViewer session . We do not recommend to use the Windows closing X-button in the upper right corner of the remote session window.
The home button leads you to the General information dashboard:
In this dashboard, you can find a detailed overview of useful information about your device such as:
- (1) Processes: How many processes are running (with the option to open the Task Manager)
- (2 ) Performance: Usage of CPU, RAM and Drive
- (3) Disk health: General information about the hard disk
- (4) Security: Shows if security applications are working as expected
- (5) Remote control session: Indicates how long the session
- (6) Device: General information about your device such as Manufacturer, Serial number, OS version, Battery state...
- (7) System environment: Gives key information about your network environment such as Domain, IP address etc...
The Actions button offers you different actions within the remote control session:
Dropdown menu "Actions"
- Sessions: In this section, you can close the remote session and leave a note on the remote computer before disconnecting.
- Automation: Here, you can open the applications and execute scripts on the remote computer:
For more information about how to execute scripts, please read this article: OneClick remote script execution - Scripts for automation
- Lock: Here you can lock the current user session or signing out the Windows user session
- Reboot: You can reboot your computer in normal mode and also in safe mode
- Send Ctrl + Alt + Del: Pressing this button will send the combination key Ctrl + Alt + Del on the remote computer. You will need it if you want to open the Task Manager, for example.
- Send key combinations: If this option is enabled, this will allow you to send key combinations such as Win+E (open Explorer) and using all available shortcuts on the remote side during your remote session.
- Disable remote input: If this option is enabled, the remote input will be disabled. This is very useful if you are doing maintenance work on the remote computer and want to make sure no one disturbs you in your work.
- Show black screen: If this option is enabled, the screen of the remote side will turn black. This is a perfect feature if you are doing confidential work in an environment with high traffic.
- Windows options:
- Remote interaction:
- Participants: This feature will allow you to invite other people into your remote session. Please note that you can only invite users who are registered in your Computers & Contacts list.
- Remote system information will show you a reduces version of what you can find by pressing the Home button.
- The remote update button will allow you to update TeamViewer remotely, in case a new update is available. More information here:
The View button offers you different options to optimize and individulize the view your remote control session:
- Original: Will display the same screen scale that is on the remote side.
- Scaled: Will stretch the screen to get the best size on your local computer.
- Best fit: Will automatically calculate the best balance between original and scaled.
- Optimize Speed: This option will optimize the fluidity of the remote session. Please note that this might decrease the graphic quality of the remote session.
- Optimize quality: This option will optimize the graphic quality of the remote session. Please note that this might decrease the fluidity (speed) of the remote session.
- Auto select: This option will automatically calculate the best balance between Optimize quality and Optimize Speed.
- Screen resolution: Here you can select the resolution of the remote side. Please note that the resolution possibilities depend on the hardware used on the remote side.
- Hide wallpaper: If enabled, the wallpaper will turn black on the remote side.
- Show remote cursor: If enabled, the mouse cursor of the remote computer will be also shown.
- View options:
- Refresh screen: This might be useful if you have a lot of interaction going on on your screen. Refreshing it will give you the latest display of your remote screen.
- Select single window: With this option, you can put on full screen a specific window of the remote computer. This is very useful if you are working with multiple open windows and full screen is required. By clicking on the option, a cross formed cursor will appear. To select the windows you want to maximize, just left-click on the specific window.
- Show sessions in tabs: If enabled, all the remote sessions will be classified as tabs on the top-left corner of your TeamViewer window. This is very convenient if you have started multiple remote session. You can switch easily from one to another.
- Full screen: If enabled, the remote screen will go full screen on your local computer. If you want to leave the full-screen mode, go back to the View tab and click on Leave full screen.
The Communicate button offers you different options to communicate with the connection partner during your remote control session:
- Computer sound: If enabled, you will hear on your local computer the audio output of the remote computer
- Control - Switch sides with partner: Clicking on this button will switch the roles. The remote user will have control of the local computer.
- Conference Call: You can choose two ways of audio communication.
- Call via internet: This will use the Voice over IP function. The connection will be established through the internet.
- Call by telephone: The connection will work through a telephone number (the number might change from a country to another) that you will need to dial on your phone. Then, to get into the conference, you will need to enter a PIN which you can get by clicking on Please retrieve here.
- Chat & Video:
- Chat: Starts a chat with the remote user
- Video: Enables the video function. To activate your cam, please click on the cam logo as below:
- Whiteboard - Annotate: Enables the Whiteboard. For more information about the whiteboard, please read our dedicated article here:
Files & Extras
The Files & Extras button offers you additional options regarding files, network, printing within your remote control session:
- Print: Activate TeamViewer printing. Please note that the Print driver needs to be installed on your device to use this function. For more information about remote printing, please read our dedicated article here: Remote printing with TeamViewer
- VPN: Enables the TeamViewer VPN. Please note that the VPN driver needs to be installed on your device to use this function. For more information about the TeamViewer VPN, please read our dedicated article here: About TeamViewer VPN
- Screen Recording:
- Take screenshot: Takes a screenshot of the whole remote screen.
- Start session recording: Starts recording the remote session. Please note that the request has to be accepted by the user on the remote side. If no confirmation has been given within 30 seconds, the recording request will be cancelled. For more information about how to record a session and how to convert it, please read our dedicated article here: How to convert a recorded TeamViewer session
- File transfer:
- Open file transfer: Opens the file transfer tool. For more information about how to use file transfer with TeamViewer, please read our dedicated article here: How can I transfer files with TeamViewer
- Share via file box: Allows you to find the file you want to transfer via the Windows Explorer. For more information about this option, please read our Manual for Remote Control, Chapter 5.3 here: Manual for remote control
The Comment button offers you to leave notes during your remote control session and opens a comment window.
This is e.g. useful for supporters who want to remember what they have done during the remote session e.g. for invoicing.
You can easily retrieve the comments you have left during the remote control session in your Management Console in your Connection reports under the column Notes.
For more information about incoming and outgoing connections reports, please read our dedicated article here: About incoming and outgoing connections reports
The Feedback button offers you to send your feedback to the TeamViewer Product Team during your remote control session.
Feel free to leave your feedback or comment and tell the Product Team what you like, or what you don't like. Thank you in advance for your support!
📌Please note that your feedback will be read by the Product team however they will not reply back to you.