All the gateways of the TeamViewer IoT Starter Kit come with built-in GPS receiver. If the Starter Kit that you have received does not have the "Location" client in the "API Clients" list you can simply enable it using this article.
TeamViewer IoT Starter Kit
How To Enable GPS receiver
From TeamViewer desktop client connect to the Starter Kit then switch to the "Remote Terminal" tab. Another way is to use a remote SSH client to the Dell gateway.
For the SSH credentials use "admin" for the user name and password from your Starter Kit account.
Install python3-pip package
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install -y python3-pip
Wait for the completion of the installation. At some point, you will receive a message to stop some services. Accept it and continue.
Download the Starter Kit configuration package and install it.
wget -q https://download.teamviewer-iot.com/teamviewer-iot-kit/v2.0.1/teamviewer_iot_kit-2.0.1-py3-none-any.whl
sudo -H pip3 install teamviewer_iot_kit-2.0.1-py3-none-any.whl
Configure the location receiver of the gateway.
sudo teamviewer-iot-kit -e location_receiver
Wait for the configuration process to complete.
Configuration On TeamViewer Edge Device Management
- Switch to the "Remote AppControl" tab and check the "API Clients". You will find the "Location" client which contains data from the location receiver.
- Make sure that the WiFi antenna is connected to the gateway. The WiFi antenna is also being used for the GPS receiver. Place the gateway next to the window so it will have the sky view.
- Go to the "Metrics" tab, and pin "Latitude", "Longitude" and "Mode" metrics to the dashboard. Switch to the "Dashboard" tab and configure newly added widgets.
- You should be receiving data from the location receiver. As soon as "Mode" becomes 2 or 3 you will receive accurate "Altitude" and "Longitude" values.
- The GPS data is "NMEA 0183" formatted and packed into a JSON object called "NMEA 0183: TPV". In the "Metrics" tab you will find the data in the raw format as well as dedicated metrics for each parameter.
- The location receiver provides the "NMEA 0183: SKY" object as well which is not presented in the Starter Kit. From that object, two metrics are being calculated and presented separately with the names "In View" and "Used".
- The below table represents all the available parameters/metrics and their descriptions of the location receiver.
Name Always Type Description Time No string Time/date stamp in ISO8601 format, UTC. May have a fractional part of up to .001sec precision. May be absent if the mode is not 2 or 3 NMEA 0183: TPV
Yes string NMEA 0183 formatted JSON data of the TPV class
Mode Yes numeric NMEA mode: %d, 0=no mode value yet seen, 1=no fix, 2=2D, 3=3D Estimated timestamp error No numeric Estimated timestamp error in seconds. Present if time is present Latitude No numeric Latitude in degrees: +/- signifies North/South. Present when the mode is 2 or 3 Estimated latitude error No numeric Latitude error estimate in meters. Present if the mode is 2 or 3 and DOPs can be calculated from the satellite view Longitude No numeric Longitude in degrees: +/- signifies East/West. Present when the mode is 2 or 3 Estimated longitude error
No numeric Longitude error estimate in meters. Present if the mode is 2D or 3D and DOPs can be calculated from the satellite view Altitude
No numeric Altitude in meters. Present if the mode is 3 Estimated vertical error
No numeric Estimated vertical error in meters. Present if the mode is 3 and DOPs can be calculated from the satellite view Speed No numeric Speed over ground, meters per second Estimated speed error
No numeric Estimated speed error in meters per second. Present for consecutive 2D or 3D fixes. Climb No numeric Climb (positive) or sink (negative) rate, meters per second Estimated vertical error
No numeric Estimated climb error in meters per second. Present if consecutive 3D fixes. Track No numeric Course over ground, degrees from true north In View No numeric Number of satellites which are in view of the location receiver Used No numeric Number of satellites to which the location receiver is locked