This article applies to all TeamViewer Remote Management customers.
In this article, we will cover the multiple methods available for installation of TeamViewer Remote Management services, as well as the requirements and processes involved.
What is an endpoint?
All devices that you wish to use TeamViewer Remote Management services on are called endpoints. All TeamViewer Remote Management services must be activated and configured on each device; the service can be activated individually on devices, or across multiple devices from the TeamViewer Management Console.
Open the License Activation email that was sent to the email account used to purchase the license. Click Activate.
📌Note: If you have purchased more than one product, each license must be individually activated.
Step 2 - Follow A or B
You will be redirected to the Sign In page.
A: If you already have a TeamViewer account
Sign in with your existing TeamViewer account, click Activate and go to Step 3.
B: If you do not have a TeamViewer account
1) Create an account by clicking Sign Up.
2) Enter your email address, name and create a password. Read and accept the EULA and mark the captcha box. Click Activate.
3) An email has been sent to your inbox for account verification. Click the link in the email to verify your account and complete your license activation.
You will be redirected to the Management Console where a pop-up that confirms your license was successfully activated.
You are now signed in and can start using your license.
The following information details both endpoint and user requirements needed in order to install TeamViewer Remote Management services.
Verification of Endpoint
The first thing to confirm is the endpoint is compatible with TeamViewer Remote Management. Please ensure the operating system and TeamViewer version is supported for the service. You can verify this in the following Community article:
In order to install TeamViewer Remote Management, the endpoint must:
1) TeamViewer Host or the full version must be installed
- If the account is associated with a TeamViewer license, we recommend installing a custom Host module
- Corporate License customers may be able to deploy the desired TeamViewer version to multiple devices using MSI Deployment
2) The endpoint must be assigned to the TeamViewer account which is the owner of the group within the Computer & Contact list. Please see the following Community article for assistance: How do I assign a device to my account?
📌Note: TeamViewer licenses limit the number of devices that can be assigned to one account. Please verify your license limit using the following Community article: How many devices can I assign to my TeamViewer account?
Once the endpoint is assigned, it will appear in the assigned account's Computers & Contacts list. Successful setup can be confirmed by the appearance of three grey TeamViewer Remote Management icons to the right of the device name in the Management Console.
In order to install TeamViewer Remote Management services on an endpoint, the TeamViewer account must have correct permissions.
Changing user permissions
📌Note: TeamViewer cannot change or alter permissions for any account.
By default, Business License users and Company Admins/Admins on Company Profiles are able to perform installations of TeamViewer Remote Management services. If a standard user needs to perform installations as well, please see below for how an admin can update the account permissions:
1) Navigate to the User Management section of the Management Console (1) , and locate the desired user. Click the drop-down to the right and select Edit User (2).
2) In the next window, select Permissions on the left (3). For the desired service, please update the permissions (4).
The following are the possible permissions users in a Company Profile can have for TeamViewer Remote Management services
- None: User cannot affect or view any information associated with the TeamViewer Remote Management service
- Assign Policies: User can install the TeamViewer Remote Management service but not affect the parameters or other information
- View & Acknowledge all alerts: User cannot install or affect the TeamViewer Remote Management service, but can receive/view alerts from all endpoints using the service
- View & Acknowledge own alerts: User cannot install or affect the TeamViewer Remote Management service, but can receive view alerts only from endpoints assigned to their account
- Manage & Assign Policies: User can install the TeamViewer Remote Management service and can also affect/alter/create policies
📌Note: With TeamViewer Backup, only the assigned account can install the service or restore data from the Management Console. It is not possible to bypass this permission
Once the above requirements are met, the endpoint is ready to begin the installation. The TeamViewer Remote Management services can be installed from the assigned user's account, or through a shared group.
📌Note: TeamViewer Backup cannot be installed through a shared group. Only the Assigned Account can install TeamViewer Backup.
For Tensor license holders: If a Remote Management product is already set up on your devices, please do not move it to the Managed devices group. As the feature is not available yet, it will uninstall Remote Management.
From the TeamViewer application
📌Note: Installation of TeamViewer Remote Management services from the TeamViewer application is currently only possible from Windows devices
1) Locate the device in your Computers & Contacts list, and click the endpoint name.
2) On the right side of the applicaiton, select Activate for the respective service
From the TeamViewer Management Console
Similar to the TeamViewer application, single-device activation is possible from the Management Console. There is an option to push the activation to multiple devices here as well.
📌Note: Activation of TeamViewer Remote Management services across mutliple devices is not possible in shared groups. The steps below will only show devices in the TeamViewer account's own groups. Users who have had groups shared to them will need to perform single-device activation on the devices within the shared group.
Navigate to the group where the devices reside in the Management Console, and locate the desired endpoint
- If set up correctly, you will see three grey icons to the right of the endpoint's name. Click the icon pertaining to the desired service, and select Activate
- Once the installation is successful, the grey icon will then turn blue.
Activation of the TeamViewer Remote Management services across multiple endpoints can only be done in one way. There are, however, many ways to access this.
From the Remote Management overview tab
In the Management Console, select Overview on the left. This provides you a quick rundown of all active TeamViewer Remote Management services, as well as options to add new endpoints and activate services on endpoints.
To install the desired service across multiple devices, click the + icon in the bottom right corner of the service's overview box.
📌Note: With TeamViewer 14 we introduced the TeamViewer Remote Management tab within the Windows TeamViewer client. This provides the same information as the Overview tab of the Management Console, but within the application!
If you click the + here, you will be directed to the Management Console to proceed with the activation across multiple endpoints as well.
From the Remote Management service tab
In the Management Console, select the desired service on the left side, beneath Overview. Select the + button at the top left to be taken to the next step.
How to proceed with multiple-device activation
1) When you select the + icon as above, you will be directed to a new window. This window will show all endpoints in your account's Computers & Contacts. Endpoints eligible for installation will appear at the top of the list, with a check-box to select. Check the box for all endpoints you wish to install on, and click Next
📌Note: Devices not eligible for installation will be greyed out. For more information on why the device is not eligible, hover your mouse over the 'i' icon to the right of the endpoint name.
2) Select the desired policy for all endpoint, and click Activate. Only one policy can be selected; if you have endpoints across multiple policies, perform the activations across endpoints in the same policy to ensure proper assignment.
3) The next window will provide status of activation on all endpoints currently pushing TeamViewer Remote Management activation. If successful, a green bar will appear. If unsuccessful, a red bar will appear, providing more information on the error.