API Device: paginated list

DomLan
DomLan Posts: 490 ⭐Star⭐

Hi to all.

The rest method in question (GET /api/v1/devices), for the recovery of the devices associated with the user, is not limited in the returned data. In our context, the GET operation recovers approximately 28.6 Mb of data from your servers, with excessive commitment on both sides. The paging of the results is suggested, as in the case of the recovery of connection reports (GET /api/v1/reports/connections)

Thanks.

Domenico Langone

MCSD: App Builder

Comments

• MrT
    MrT Posts: 4 Staff member 🤠

Hello Domenico,

Currently a paging approach for the devices or contacts api is not planned.

If you like to receive smaller chunks of data i recommend you GET /api/v1/groups first

and then iterate over the GET /api/v1/devices?groupid=g12345 API.

That would return only data from the given groupId as such it should be a fragment of the data you mentioned above.

If you have all devices in one group - there will be no difference of course.

You mentioned an excessive commitment related to the amount of data you receive. 

What exactly are the problems resulting from this on your side? 

• DomLan

Problems: not specific problem for us or for you. 

This is a user experience. It is a bit strange that in a web scenario the weight that such a substantial response has on the applicant's device is not taken into consideration. In our case, via management console, we get this result with a browser open on the TV Management Console only and to query the endpoints associated with us.

2019-04-09_14-16-15.png

In any case: Thanks for reply MrT. You offer a possibility that I can follow. I suggest to you same path for web management console in other scenario: Trusted Device as info for specific user and not for the whole subscription. Maybe if it were a subsection of the specific user we could use it.

2019-04-09_14-27-40.png

Regards.

Domenico Langone

• MrT
    MrT Posts: 4 Staff member 🤠

Hey, thanks for taking the time to create such a nice problem description..

Regarding the trusted devices overview - i will forward this to the respective developers and rais an issue regarding the performance for large lists of devices.

i will also forward your feedback  to product management regarding the general impact on client devices.

• DomLan

Thanks to you!

Actually our Tensor subscription not work... so I've some spare time ;-)

Regards

Domenico Langone

• mLipok
    mLipok Posts: 781 ⭐Star⭐

@DomLan can you confirm that this problem still occurs on your side?

Regards,
    mLipok , AutoIt MVP
  • DomLan

Hi @mLipok,

yes, I confirm.

Regards

Domenico Langone

• mLipok

Would you say how many devices you have on your list ?
    I have about 2500 devices on my list.
    And want to have possibility to compare mine results, with yours.

Regards,
    mLipok , AutoIt MVP
  • DomLan

35000, and grow up...

Never consult that list via browser. It is impossible without paging data system.

Regards.

Domenico Langone

• mLipok

I had about 2000 devices on my list a 1 year ago, so I can say my list is growing too, but not so fast.....
    And for sure is not comparable to yours list.

Regards,
    mLipok , AutoIt MVP