Announcements

TeamViewer IoT is hiring! Check out the open positions here!

Posted by Sybreeder
Digon

Auto account assign doesn't work on TV12 Host MSI

Hello

I can't figure out how to configure TV MSI to assign automatically account and to show PC in the TV as a connected device.. 

When i tried TV11 Host it at least assigned to the account. I had problem with password and There was screen that asked to allow to assign to account. At least worked 

TV12  i can't make to work at all No matter hat i try. 
I looked at the documentation but it did't helped me at all. Especially in case of that new file for assignment. 

66 Replies
Posted by dwyere
Trigon

Re: Auto account assign doesn't work on TV12 Host MSI

At least in v11 we had to export registry keys and re-import them (via script) after making the changes on one machine. Possibly that procedure would work here as well?

--
I am not associated with TeamViewer in any way, and all comments are strictly my personal views and opinions.
Posted by Sybreeder
Digon

I've tried that and it didn't helped.

Accout still doesn't assign to th Host :(

on the V11 it works 

Posted by donrin
Digon

I'm unable to get it to work either.  Here are the steps I've followed:

1) Created our customized MSI via the Desirng & Deploy section of our Management Console.

2) Generated the API token to allow account assignment.

3) Installed the customized MSI (it was renamed properly to TeamViewer_Host-idcxxxxxxx.msi, where xxxxxxx is our Configuration ID from the Management Console)

4) Ran the TeamViewer_Assignment.exe with the commandline options -apitoken <our token from step 2 above> -datafile "C:\Program Files (x86)\TeamViewer\AssignmentData.json" 

The commandline fails with the message: => Assignment failed with:
Reading datafile 'C:\Program Files (x86)\TeamViewer\AssignmentData.json' failed
with: File not found

I have confirmed that the AssignmentData.json file does NOT exist, even after running TeamViewer on the machine.

The instructions - both the PDF included in the MSI, and the single page found at https://community.teamviewer.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/Deploy-TeamViewer-Host-MSI-Package-with-Assignmen... are vague or refer to the steps needed for TV11.

It's funny that this deployment feature is touted in the new version, but so poorly supported.

Posted by donrin
Digon

I've found that the AssignmentData.json file is sometimes present when the .exe version of the TeamViewer deployment package is used to install the host.  

The AssignmentData.json file is specific to the host upon which it is created.  I tried copying the file to another host, in hopes that the TeamViewer_Assignment.exe tool might modify it for the new host, but this is not the case.

I've been unable to far to find any switches to make the .exe version of the deployment package run silently for use with GPO-based installs, or use with tools like PDQ Deploy.

Posted by designworks
Trigon

Hi @Sybreeder,

Have you mirated to v12 in the web console? I have noticed since doing that, there is a new account assignment option and tool in the customised host.

Not sure if this link will work or not but in my web console this link downloads the assignment tool.

Hopefully this is helpful to you.

Posted by Sybreeder
Digon

@designworks Yes i did migrated console to v12. I've also tried setup that json file. It shows on the tv host installation. But i cant put that token anyway. There is no manual for v12 really at all. when i download latest msi manual is fr v11. I'm really dissapointed in this product. 

And for assignment tool. there is no manual how to use it really. 

Posted by designworks
Trigon

Yeah the documentation for v12 is pretty terrible to be honest. I haven't figured it out myself yet either. At least their support is pretty good and v12 is a big improvement over the previous version.
Posted by donrin
Digon

There's no manual for TeamViewer_Assignment, but there is a help entry that you can access by running "TeamViewer_Assignment.exe -help" from the command line.

The syntax that I've been using is:

TeamViewer_Assignment -apitoken <the token generated by the Management Console> -datafile "C:\Program Files (x86)\TeamViewer\AssignmentData.json"

The problem is that there is no AssignmentData.json file in the directory when the install is done with the MSI.  If you use the EXE version of the TeamViewer_Host installer, there will be an AssignmentData.json file, but it is specific to the host on which the installation has been performed.  If you do a silent install using the /S switch on the TeamViewer_Host.exe file, the AssignmentData.json file is not created.  In this case, the host ID assigned to the machine will appear in the "Unamed devices" group in the Management Console. 

Without the AssignmentData.json file the TeamViewer_Assignment command fails, making the MSI based install pretty much worthless.  

For what TeamViewer charges I would expect better support than what's been given.  

Posted by Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi,

Thank you all for your feedback.

Of course, we want to provide you with very good and helpful documentation and therefore have we just updated the article in the Knowledge Base and I hope, that this version is better.

Can you give it a try and give me a short feedback (if it was helpful or not)?

Thank you in advance!

Best,

Posted by dwadmin
Digon

Thanks Ester,

That is much better! Thank you for that. I still have some questions however.

I don't have an 'assignmentdata.json' file in my TeamViewer v12 install folder to direct the assignment tool to. Am I missing a step that is required to create that file?

Cheers.

Posted by donrin
Digon

@dwadmin 

I was missing this file as well, but once I created a completely new MSI file via the Design and Deploy tool it started appearing during the install and have been able to use the TeamViewer_Assignment tool.

Posted by dwadmin
Digon

@donrin wrote:

@dwadmin 

I was missing this file as well, but once I created a completely new MSI file via the Design and Deploy tool it started appearing during the install and have been able to use the TeamViewer_Assignment tool.

yep, thanks. That worked for me too.

Posted by aferguson56
Henagon

I tried rebuilding the MSI package, but I still cannot get AssignmentData.json to show up.  Any ideas?  I have tried EVERYTHING.

Community Manager

Hi @aferguson56

Can you provide us with a description of the process, so that we can find out, why you do not see this file?

Thank you in advance!

Best,

Posted by aferguson56
Henagon

Hi Esther,

I recreated a custom module, downloaded the .msi package, followed the deployment manual.  When installing the custom host application, I can see the customizations I set have deployed, but i'm stuck at auto assigning TeamViewer.  

When running TeamViewer_Assignment.exe, it gives me an error that it can't find C:\Program Files (x86)\TeamViewer\AssignmentData.json.  I looked in that location and confirmed it's not there.  I did a system wide search to try and find it with no luck.

Posted by aferguson56
Henagon

Hi Esther,

I recreated a custom module, downloaded the .msi package, followed the deployment manual.  When installing the custom host application, I can see the customizations I set have deployed, but i'm stuck at auto assigning TeamViewer.  

When running TeamViewer_Assignment.exe, it gives me an error that it can't find C:\Program Files (x86)\TeamViewer\AssignmentData.json.  I looked in that location and confirmed it's not there.  I did a system wide search to try and find it with no luck.

Posted by designworks
Trigon

Hi @Esther,

Thanks for the update to the KB. 

I can confirm that I have successfully deployed a version 12 host file and used the assignment tool to assign it to our account with your help.

One suggestion that perhaps others might also find helpful is to have examples that show the correct usage of the environment variables when used in a whole command? After all, you have mentioned the usage of environment variables in isolation so it would be thorough to include them in an example command.

I'm sure giving clear examples of commands with and without environment variables would also your reduce support requests.

Cheers.

Posted by designworks
Trigon

@Esther

After having successfully installed hosts using the autoassignment tool, I am trying to automate deployment of TeamViewer 'clients' using the assignment tool and I think I may be running into the same issue as @aferguson56.

When I installed the non-host .MSI file, there is no assignmentdata.json in the TeamViewer folder. Is it meant to be possible to assign TeamViewer clients using the tool?

Cheers!

Community Manager

Hi,

Wow, I really like what is happening in this thread :-)

Together we are really making things better! Thank you all for your help and your feedback!!

In addition, I would like to give you an update on this: We are working together in the Team to update the documentation. We are reading all of your feedback and I hope, we can publish the updated version soon.

If you have any further feedback, please let us know :-)

Best,

Posted by Sybreeder
Digon

I still belive that it was easier before..

on TV10 when i installed MSI by GPO it installed by itself and it just worked...

Now it's a mess. That new app is another work for us. 

It should be easier to do. I shouldn't  write post that it doesn't work. Especially for that expensive software. 

The best way would be to embed configuration and assigment to MSI itself that would automatically configure. 
With each version it look that it harder to setup. And i still don't belive that that assigment tool i right way to do it..

Isn't there a way to jus have a reg file or configurable msi that would do it? 

Posted by jlevesque
Photon

it's seems like the assignement json is not appearing everytime, i did some testing :

if the computer is already assigned to my account, no assignement.json appears

If i update a computer with a host v10  already present it wont appear if in my account

if i delete the id from my account and then update a computer with host v10, the file appear

Heres a powershell script that works :

msiexec /quiet /i TeamViewer_Host-idcXXXXXXX.msi
./tv_assignement.exe -apitoken 0000000-XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX -devicealias "$env:computername - $env:username" -wait "30" -datafile “C:\Program Files (x86)\TeamViewer\AssignmentData.json"

Waiting 30 seconds before trying to assign, Teamviewer_Settings.reg in the same folder exported from a sample installation

What i would like, i would like to be able to mass update my hosts, and there aliases with the logged user, anytime i want.

It seems like, the only way i could do that, is to delete all the host i have in my account, then force a reinstall of teamviewer on all computers. I'm a bit reluctant, is there another way?

Posted by designworks
Trigon

Yeah I agree with 's suggestion about embedding assignment and configuration into the standard MSI installers. No extra downloads required.

Hopefully with our feedback we can make this work better than it does currently. 😊

@Esther With that said though, I haven't tested the old deployment method yet so I can't comment, but I assume from the v11 documentation that comes bundle with the v12 MSI, the old method it still works?
Posted by jjdaquino
Henagon

I was also receiving the same file not found error but I noticed odd characters before the file path. I removed the quotes that were in TeamViewer's example and used the appropriate variable:

*For 32bit: ${ProgramFiles}

*For 64bit: ${ProgramFiles(x86)}

Error: Assignment failed with:
Reading datafile '“C:\Program Files (x86)\TeamViewer\AssignmentData.json' failed with: File not found

Solution: -datafile ${ProgramFiles(x86)}\TeamViewer\AssignmentData.json

Posted by TeamViewer Staff
TeamViewer Staff

Hi everyone,

product management here.

First, let me thank you for your great participation here. Your feedback is more than welcome and much appreciated.

I will try to untangle some uncertainty and answer questions about the Silent Host Roll Out as good as I can.

While I was reading through the thread I recognized some possible issues for confusion which I would like to start with.

To use the new Silent Host Roll Out feature, a few requirements exist:

• TeamViewer 12 Corporate license activated on your account
  • Custom TeamViewer 12 Host with “Allow account assignment without confirmation” activated
  • Custom Host is deployed with the Configuration ID in the file name
  • Device is not already assigned to an existing account when the new Host is deployed
  • Only works for Host, not for TeamViewer full version

Please make sure that these requirements are met.

If you still have trouble using the new feature, e.g. the AssignmentData.json file is not created, please describe your scenario as accurately as possible.

The deployment of TeamViewer Host MSI via GPO and the account assignment via Active Directory serviceConnectionPoint still works, of course. Both features are not mutually exclusive.

We are also working on an update of the knowledge base article that makes things a bit clearer and considers your feedback.

Best regards

Product Owner
Posted by designworks
Trigon

Hi guys,

I have been able to create and deploy a customised host file successfully and tried to create another customised host recently and ran into the same issue that others were having here but I was able to resolve it and thought I would post my findings here to help narrow down the issues for everyone.

Prior to v12 I was able to download the MSI package and rename the TeamViewer_host.exe  that came in the ZIP file with the deployment ID. e.g. TeamViewer_Host-idcXXXXXXX.msi.

It would appear that this workflow doesn't work if you need the "assignmentdata.json" file.You have to use the link in the bottom left corner instead of the MSI package. (See below for screenshot. )

@Rahul can you confirm if my findings are consistent with yours?

@jlevesque have you been following the same workflow I described above? Have you tried using the file generated from the link in the bottom left corner rather than renaming the host installer from the MSI ZIP file?

EDIT: I also just noticed that the file that downloads from the link in bottom left is an EXE which CANT be silently installed, rather than an MSI. It's also named differently as well as having the unique deployment ID already appended to the file name when downloading. e.g. TeamViewer_Host_Setup-idcXXXXXX.exe. AND the other successfull customised host that I deployed was using a renamed Host MSI file but now I cant get the new customised host to generate the .json file for autoassignment, even after redownloading the MSI package after the auto assisgnment option was selected.

So now I'm stuck and REALLY confused! >_<

TeamViewer Staff

Hi @designworks,

I'm sorry to read that you are still having trouble to do the auto assignment.

The new Silent Host Roll Out feature is designed to work with the MSI package as well as EXE. It is required to always add the Configuration ID to the Host filename, no matter if the MSI package or the EXE is used. E.g.:
TeamViewer_Host-idcXXXXXXXX.msi
TeamViewer_Host_Setup-idcXXXXXXXX.exe

Another requirement is, that the device you want to do the auto assignment on is not already assigned to an account. If the devices is already assigned to an account, the datafile is not generated.
If you have TeamViewer already installed and assigned, the assignment must be removed prior to using the Silent Host Roll Out.
There would be several ways to do this:
- Remove the account assignment in TeamViewer settings
- Delete the TeamViewer registry settings
- Uninstall TeamViewer with "Delete settings" option checked (EXE only)
- Uninstall TeamViewer and delete the TeamViewer registry settings afterwards

The issue that a device is already assigned and hence the datafile is not generated might occur while testing the new feature but should actually not be an issue when deploying TeamViewer using the Silent Host Roll Out.

Please let me know if this helps you. If not, I would be happy to set up a TeamViewer meeting to go through the issue together with you.

Best regards

Product Owner
Posted by baylox
Henagon

Hi!

I'm also having trouble getting the json-file to appear, which leads to the file not found-error. I install the MSI file the following way:

msiexec.exe /i \\server\share\Teamviewer\Version12\TeamViewer_Host-xxxxxxx.msi /qb-

I just tested this on a new (virtual) machine with a computer name that (as far as I know) hasn't been used with TeamViewer before and we do have a Corporate account.

Thanks in advance for any help,

/Peter

Posted by baylox
Henagon

Nevermind - when fiddling with the packages, I had forgotten to add "idc" to the beginning of the ConfigurationId. Still have trouble conncting to webapi.teamviewer.com, but that is probably a firewall-issue at my end.

Posted by designworks
Trigon

Thanks @Rahul for that clarification.

I have been correctly appending -idcXXXXXXX to the end of the MSI file name. Thats particularly puzzling about all this is that the .EXE works but the MSI file doesn't.

Ultimatley what I am trying to achieve is trying to update all our exiting hosts without them pulling the update from the internet.

How do you propose we upgrade our existing install of Teamviewer 10 & 11 hosts and have them silently assigned to our account?

Manually deleting the computer assignment from my account is a non-solution. This is a very labour intensive exercise. This step really shouldn't be necessary or is a process that really should be able to be automated (or invisible and done automatically during the install process).

If leave the computer account assigned to my Teamviewer account and uninstall Teamviewer and check the option to delete all settings and try to install v12 it doesn't create the JSON file. Is this expected behaviour?

For the sake or clarity, can you please provide more detail about the registry settings that need deleting?

I think I will contact Support to resolve this. I was trying to solve this here where everyone could benefit but its taking too long to resolve.

For everyone else playing at home, I will be sure to report back. :smileyhappy:

Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi @designworks

Thank you for your post and thank you for sharing the solution with us when you are getting the reply from support!

Best,

2 Replies
Posted by designworks
Trigon

So I rang support and I got some help and long story short, I didn't solve this issue of the json file not being created, mainly because it doesn't effect Host upgrades that are already previously assigned to an account which was my primary concern. 

That and I haven't had issues with fresh installs of TeamViewer on a fresh install of Windows.

Out of all of this though, it would appear that its not currently possible to automate the assignment of a customised Host to a different account than what has been previously deployed. I would like to change the assignment of existing Hosts but this currently does not seem possible as the JSON file isn't created when upgrading to v12 to allow auto assignment. 

I haven't opened a case for this yet as its not a priority right now. Hopefully we can solve this here on the forum so others can benefit too. I will start another thread for this issue though.

TeamViewer Staff

@designworks

I'm happy that things worked out.

It is currently only possible to change the assignment of an existing Host in an automated way by reinstalling the Host with a different configuration ID (idcXXXXXX). That is required since the custom Host is bound to the account that created it and it always gets assigned to this account.

To change the assignment you need to uninstall the Host. You can keep all the settings but you have to delete two registry values:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\TeamViewer]
"Device_Auto_Assigned_To_Account"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\TeamViewer\DeviceManagement]
"Managers"
After the Host in uninstalled and the values are deleted, you can install the new custom Host with the new ConfigurationID. Once the TeamViewer Host is reinstalled, a new AssignmentData.json file is created and you can run the assignment tool again.

Best regards

Product Owner
Posted by Benjamin_fr
Henagon

Hi 

First, thank you for your explanations.

But, I am not sure i understood well. 

Is there any possibilities to make the auto assignation with a MSI full version (not the host) ?

Thank you for your reply.

Posted by Dzionizz
Henagon

Same problem here :(
after testing: instaled MSI with config is good. have paswords i need and so on. but after i try to auto assign it there is nothing hapening, maybe i do something wrong?

i go to start>run.exe and there tipe:
C:\tv\TeamViewer_Assignment.exe -apitoken 0000000-XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXxxx -datafile “C:\Program Files (x86)\AssignmentData.json"

and then just see black table with Teamviewer_assigment <r341> and some dot coming.......... going after that nothing hapening and not assigned to my account :/

Can anyone help me?

Posted by Dzionizz
Henagon

Problem solved made some mistakes in my cdm line :)

Posting good CMD line for everyone else:
start>RUN CMD in admin right> paste this with your API token and good directions of your main file:

C:\tv\TeamViewer_Assignment.exe -apitoken 1234567-abcdefgehijklmn -allowEasyAccess=false -datafile ${ProgramFiles(x86)}\TeamViewer\AssignmentData.json

Good luck

Posted by RogerH
Trigon

Hi everyone.

I'm really glad i found this topic, as I've really been struggling with creating an installer package that will both upgrade existing v11 Hosts and also installing new v12 hosts (with auto account assignment). Upgrading v11 hosts to v12 is 'easy' as long as you don't want to change account assignments for hosts already assigned to an account.

Once I remembered all the steps involved with setting up an automatid installer for v11 host, and added the auto account assignment for v12, I have (it seems) been able to make a single package that upgrades v11 hosts, and also installs v12 on new hosts with auto account assignment and Easy Access enabled. I'd like to share this in case it helps others, and also so others can confirm I haven't done anything 'the wrong way'.

The way I did it was as such (using the existing Policy, Groups and SCP settings in Active Directory) -

1. Upgraded my V11 modules for host to v12, and edited the definition to enable Auto Account Assignment (you need to do this step as Company Administrator account)
  2. Save the Host definition, and this will show the API token. Take note of this token, as well as the Configuration ID. Click Download MSI link to download the updated MSI package
  3. Once I have the updated MSI file, I rename the TeamViewer_Host.MSI file to include the idc<Confguration ID> option (for example TeamViewer_Host-idcabc1234.MSI - where abc1234 would be the Configuation ID)
  4. I use this MSI file to install TeamViewer host v12 on my test machine
  5. Logged in on my test machine as Adminstrator account, I open TeamViewer options for the host, and setup unattended access password, as well as any other settings I want as standard
  6. in TeamViewer Options, I select Advanced > Show Advanced Options and set all options I went as standard there as well.
  7. I then export the options to  TeamViewer_Settings.reg file (in same folder as the MSI file), ensuring that I re-enter the Unattended Access password, for 'personal password' (if I did not re-enter the Unattended Access password at this stage, then later, after Auto Account Assignment, it would still ask me to setup Unattended Access password)
  8. I download the TeamViewer_Assignment.exe file and include it in the same folder as the MSI and .REG files, and use these three files to create an SCCM PAckage (I use SCCM to deploy software). I use the following 2 commands (in order) to install the v12 host AND auto assign account -
    start /wait msiexec /i "TeamViewer_Host-idcabc1234.msi" /q
    start /wait TeamViewer_Assignment.exe -apitoken 1234567-XXXXXXXXXXXXXX -datafile "${ProgramFiles(x86)}\TeamViewer\AssignmentData.json" -allowEasyAccess=true -wait=10 -verbose
  9. I use start /wait to ensure that each step is complete, before the next command starts
  10. So far, the above process has proven successful for me, and existing v11 hosts re updated to v12 (and keeping their account assignment and settings) and new computers get the v12 host installed with automatic account assingment and (most importantly) Easy Access is enabled and Unattended Access password is correctly set

Posted by RogerH
Trigon

One thing I forgot to add, which was originally causing me issues with testing, is that if you want to use a computer that already has v11 Host installed for testing a 'clean install' of v12, or need to re-test the install of v12 after making changes (for example to the .REG file or install command), then you need to do the following to properly uninstall the host and remove from TeamViewer Management Console -

1. Uninstall TeamViewer from Programs / Features (select the option to Remove Settings if prompted) 
  2. Uninstall TeamViewer Wrapper from Programs / Features
  3. Remove the ENTIRE TeamViewer key from registry at -
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\TeamViewer
  4. Delete the following folder (if it still exists) -
    C:\Program Files (x86)\TeamViewer  - OR -
    C:\Program Files\TeamViewer
  5. Login to TeamViewer Management Console and delete the computer

The above steps should mean that the next install (and Auto Account Assignment) of v12 host on this computer will be treated as if this computer never had TeamViewer installed, and you an add it to any account you choose with the Automatic Account Assignment tool.

Posted by RogerH
Trigon

I'm sad to say that I am UNABLE to reliably reproduce my initial success...

The latest issue I am seeing is that machines that have never had v11 host installed (or any other host) are bein assigned to the correct account, but are not having hte Policy assigned and are NOT having Easy Access enabled. I have to login to TeamViewer Console as Company Admin and assign a policy to these mchines, and then I need to login on those machines as an administrator and enable easy access.

In addition, on these machines, I notice that there is no AssignmentData.json file, which is possibly why the Automated Account Assignment did not work properly.

I understand that when I install TeamViewer v11 on a machine and then upgrade it to v12, the AssignmentData.json file is NOT present, and therefore the TeamViewer_Assignment.exe tool fails. However the forums seem to indicate that if I install v12 on a machine (using the MSI file) that has never had TeamViewer installed, that the AssignmentData.json file will be created and then the TeamViewer_Assignment.exe tool should work. This does not seem to be true unfortunately.

More frustating is the fact that sometimes when building machines, and including the v12 host (TeamViewer_Assignment.exe tool) in the automated build process, it DOES work fine.

PLEASE can someone from TeamViewer let us know -

- when AssignmentData.json file WILL be auto created and when it will NOT be auto created

- is there a way we can create AssignmentData.json file AFTER installing TeamViewer host v12 (seeing as copying this file from another compuetr does not work)

I'd also recommend that the documentation that accompanies the TeamViewer_Assignment.exe tool be updated properly to cover the above topics, seeing as the tool is SO reliant on this file existing, and the only time it mentions it is to say it's a required file

Posted by Sybreeder
Digon

In my case it sometimes work..sometimes doesn't

For example i just installed remotely TV12 on laptop with assignment and it didn't work.

It did installed but it didn't assigned to the account.

I just have enough of this.

This is my config:
msiexec /quiet /i TeamViewer_Host-xxxx.msi /norestart >>c:\temp\logs\tv_uninstal.txt
TeamViewer_Assignment.exe -apitoken xxxxxx -datafile "C:\Program Files (x86)\TeamViewer\AssignmentData.json" -devicealias %computername% -wait=10 -verbose msiexec /quiet /i TeamViewer_Host-xxxx.msi /norestart >>c:\temp\logs\tv_uninstal.txt

Am i doing something wrong or something ?

Posted by RogerH
Trigon

@Sybreeder - it seems that you are having the same issue as I am (and many others) in that the TV Account Assignment is not working as it should, reliably. As it seems to be so unpredictable, I have not been able to reliably get it to work or fail, and therefore, I find it impossible to properly troubleshoot. In addition the documentation on this is EXTREMELY limited, so we are at the mercy of TeamViewer providing us with information that we can use to get this working, because doing things as detailed in their limited documentation is not sufficient to get this working reaialbly enough to roll this out to a large environment.

I gave up trying to use auto account assignment a while ago, but it seems to me like your config is correct. Are you using TeamViewer in an Active Directory environment? If so, have you configured the SCP for the approved TeamViewer Configuration IDs ? As far as I know, this is still necessary, but then as the documention is limited, I am not sure if SCP works with or against auto account assignment.

Posted by Sybreeder
Digon

Yeah that's encouraging :smileyhappy:

I did add TV to AD throuh that PS1 that was included so..yeah :D

Posted by ChrisMichetti
Henagon

This is what I did, I was encountering the same "file not found" garbage.  Just copied the assignment tool into the folder with the json file and ran it from there.  The issue is something to do with the path having a space in it (program files (x86)).

msiexec.exe /i TeamViewer_Host-idcXXXXXXX.msi /qn
copy .\TeamViewer_Assignment.exe "C:\Program Files (x86)\TeamViewer"
cd "C:\Program Files (x86)\TeamViewer"
.\TeamViewer_Assignment.exe -apitoken XXXXXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX -allowEasyAccess=true -datafile .\AssignmentData.json

Posted by JohnMerritt
Henagon

Hi

Can someone from Teamviewer actually get this sorted? I am having the same issue so it seems you have several of your clients with the same issue and very little being done to resolve the issue. 

The process to activate clients is to be blunt "horrible" and not by any means an Enterprise solution. We also use SCCM and its impossible to deploy this software to our machines and activate it using these methods.

I have never had so much trouble trying to get an applcation to work. Its very frustrating. After ignoring the the issues with Teamviewer for 2 months I have had to get back into it to see if I could get it working after the initial failure. After 48 wasted hours I have only just managed to get the activation to find a JSON file and use the tool.

The issues I have and others seem to have

• The assignment tool cannot handle a path to find the JSON file when it has spaces even if the path is in quotes. If you place the JSON file and assignment tool in the same folder it works as someone else mentioned.
  • Assignment tool needs to be replaced (its horrible and not something thats deployable in a correctly setup enterprise environment.
  • JSON file doesnt always get created from the installer created fro the Admin console, its taken me no less than 5 attempts at creating the host file to get one that works. I used the exact same settings as the other attempts
  • The documenation is horrible and thats the best way I can describe it
  • the Team viewer application still displays its running in FREE mode (right click on app, select About), is this right?

Whilst we are listing annoyances

• The active directory sync powershell script is horrible, why hasn't an application been created that syncs to AD? It took a week for your engineers to help me get 3 users to sync into the admin console, it would have been quicker to manually add them, it shouldn't be this hard.

We have had Teamviewer since Dec 2016 and we still have not rolled it out to staff as its impossible to get it running in a 100% reliable unattended manner.

Who do I contact to get a refund?

Posted by semcr
Henagon

Here the same issue.

Followed the procedures found in the documentation PDF's, but same result: the autoassignment json is not present. Not for machines who are having the Version 8 already installed and not for brand new installed machines.

We are testing the installation with SCCM Current Branch 1610..

Posted by RogerH
Trigon

It's not the version of SCCM you are using that is causing any issues, but rather a non functioning auto account assignment tool.

Posted by Sybreeder
Digon

this is my current configuration

It seems to be working.Try it.

md c:\temp\logs
net stop teamviewer >>c:\temp\logs\tv_stop.txt
taskkill /IM tv_x64.exe /F >>c:\temp\logs\tv_stop.txt
taskkill /IM tv_w32.exe /F >>c:\temp\logs\tv_stop.txt
taskkill /IM Teamviewer.exe /F >>c:\temp\logs\tv_stop.txt

wmic product where "name like 'TeamViewer%%'" call uninstall /nointeractive >>c:\temp\logs\tv_uninstall.txt
rem msiexec /quiet /i TeamViewer_Host-xxxx.msi /norestart >>c:\temp\logs\tv_install.txt
rem copy TeamViewer_Settings.reg "C:\Program Files (x86)\TeamViewer\"
md c:\temp\TV_install
copy * "c:\temp\TV_install"
rem msiexec /quiet /i c:\temp\TV_install\TeamViewer_Host-xxxx.msi /norestart /limwe c:\temp\logs\tv_install.txt

regedit.exe /S "c:\temp\TV_install\TeamViewer_Settings.reg"
c:\temp\TV_install\TeamViewer_Host_Setup.exe /MSI /S /IDC=xxxx /D=c:\Program Files (x86)\TeamViewer\

TeamViewer_Assignment.exe -apitoken xxxxx -datafile "C:\Program Files (x86)\TeamViewer\AssignmentData.json" -devicealias %computername% -wait=10 -verbose >>c:\temp\logs\tv_assign.txt
rd /s /q c:\temp\TV_install >>c:\temp\logs\tv_install.txt
Posted by semcr
Henagon

Hi Sybreeder,

Can you show me your registry settings file? I've tried to configure the unattended password by using the Teamviewer console, but applying those keys to another computer is not working...

Posted by RogerH
Trigon

One thing to remember when exporting registry settings (which is not clearly documented, as far as I can remember) is that if you want to save the unattended password 9also known as personal password), you need to actually type it in as part of the process of saving the registry settings. After you selected Export settings to .reg file and enter the name of the .REG file, you are presented with a popup asking what to export. You need to select the option for 'Export Personal Password' and then enter the Personal (Unattended) Password you want to use. NOTE - when you select the option 'Export Personal Password', the text boxes below this option still look like they are greyed out and not available - simply click in the text boxes with the mouse and type the password.

Posted by Jeff82
Henagon

I had the same issue while testing my deployement on a test computer multiple times.

First you need to delete the computer from your management console.

Then you uninstall the client software on that computer.

After you need to delete HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\TeamViewer (I delete whole keys, faster)

AND be sure to put a wait on your TeamViewer_Assignment.exe command. The default is not long enough sometimes. Mine is 30sec and i have no more issues with the File not found error.