Posted by Community Manager
Community Manager

Sunsetting active servicing of operating systems

Dear Community members,

We would like to announce that as of April 2019, TeamViewer will no longer be actively servicing Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2003 and Windows Server 2008 operating systems.

After Microsoft ended their official mainstream support for Windows Vista in 2012 and Windows XP in 2014, TeamViewer will stop the active servicing of those operating systems after additional 7 and 5 years respectively.  

Stopping the active servicing of an operating system means that no updates or fixes which are specific to these operating systems will be implemented.

What does this mean if you are running Windows XP, Vista, Windows Server 2003 or Windows Server 2008 as an operating system?

You can continue using the latest supported version of TeamViewer versions on these operating systems. With newer versions, like TeamViewer 14, you can still connect to the version running on Windows XP and Vista as well as Windows Server 2003 and Windows Server 2008 (license required).

We generally recommend to only run current operating systems and software versions. So please make sure to update to the most recent version of Windows and TeamViewer.

To see a full list of our supported operating systems by TeamViewer, please see our Knowledge Base article here: Which operating systems are supported

Thanks and all the best,

Esther

5 Replies
Highlighted
Posted by bswiss52
Henagon

Re: Sunsetting active servicing of operating systems Windows XP and Windows Vista

Esther,

Based on your message about no longer supporting XP after version 14 I updated my XP laptop which was working fine with version 12.  I can no longer invoke Team Viewer on this XP.  The error msg reads" Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file.  You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item".  Can you guide me as to how to correct this?

Posted by dhagmar
Henagon

Re: Sunsetting active servicing of operating systems

I am having the same problems. I must run  Windows XP on a PC that is tied to laboratory instrumentation, and it cannot be upgraded to newer windows versions without also replacing a Labview real time operating system with which it communicates. everything worked perfectly with Team Viewer 10. So I  tried using Team Viewer 12 (worked but slow connecting, and forced to the 5 minute timeout sessions now) . I then tried version 14, and I cannot connect, the Team Viewer window simply says connecting...... forever. If I buy a license, can I use an old compatible version of Team Viewer on the remote PC that  will not force me with the 5 minute timeout sessions?

Posted by Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @dhagmar 

Thanks for your post.

Yes - with a license you can use an older TeamViewer version without the time limitation. 

Please feel free to order your license for your laboratory on our webshop or give my colleagues in Sales a call.

Best,

Esther

Posted by Chico
Electron

thank you for suggesting that we use an earlier version.

HOWEVER, Teamviewer is force upgrading everyone to version 14 currently (i am now limited to a 5 minute connection time on each of the many XP systems i still need to administer).

What does teamviewer propose as a solution? Must i go to your competition? Will you allow teamviewer V12 (reported in this thread as still fucntional in XP), an exemption from the V14 forced upgrade?

almost 20% of worlds PC's still run windows XP. That's a lot of systems, surely teamviewer is not abandoning or stranding them, are they?

non commerical users cannot afford $600USD per year.  Can't you provide a roadmap to allow us to continue to use your product? If you force me to go elsewhere, i won't come back, and I will influence others to do the same.

Why would teamviewer be so insulent and indifferent towards loyal customers (even if we have not been directly revenue generating - do you know how many companies i have referred to your product?)

Posted by sarma
Photon

ok