Full Version is automatically installing on client PCs that have Host on them

My client PCs that have host on them suddenly have the full version on them. User states that web page is open to Teamviewer page and notice the full version is now on thier PCs.

Any ideas why this is happening?

Best Answer

Answers

• JeanK
    JeanK Posts: 6,984 Community Manager 🌍

Hello @toadally69,

Thank you for your message.

There is no TeamViewer-related funtionnality that can switch from a Host installation to a full client installation.

This has to be a manual interaction made by someone.

Best,

Jean

Community Manager

• We've had this exactly same thing happen and it's seriously messing our deployments.

We've installed the host with the exact same parameters for a few months now. In the past two days, after doing this, in about 30 mins of use, the full Teamviewer installs. There is no event log note of an installation process. Additionally, the full version is saying it's a free version without a license (we have a corporate subscription). Basically, there's no way to use it anymore.

As the computer in question is for an export sales person, I can't keep that laptop here for debugging. We're going to put that user in for another remote access solution for now, but I'll try to get a test machine so we can repeat this error.

Seeing as we're not the only one with this issue, I would like to see it being looked at.

• JeanK

Hello @KyuuET, and @toadally69,

Thank you for your message.

This is interesting, that is happened in a deployment context. Now it is time we step in with our expertise and activate our engineers to know what exactly happened.

Please run the support collector on one of the affected devices and send us the results via ticket.

You will find all the information you need to run the support collector and to reach our technical support in our Knowledge Base articles here:

If you need any further information, please let me know.

Cheers,

Jean

Community Manager

• Okay, I'll have a colleague get the ticket done from one of the machines doing this, and I'll try my best to repeat the problem. It doesn't appear on every computer, and I have not been able to hunt down a single matching factor, as the cases seem to be on very different type of systems (laptops, desktops, with very different software stacks). Also, in one case it happened pretty much in front of our eyes, in the other it happened on a system that nobody was using.

• JeanK

Good @KyuuET,

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Feel free to share the results of your discussions with the support to share the solution with everybody (but only, if you want to ?).

Best,

Jean

Community Manager

• I'll gladly share once we get some feedback. We've so far sent two support collector sets in one ticket. Another laptop changed to full version last night, as we just left it running alone and in the morning, it had changed.

We're waiting to hear back from support for our next moves.

update: Just got word yet another one had changed. It had also rebooted on its own. This may become quite an issue at this rate. One other problem is that Teamviewer cannot be uninstalled after this. I can remove the newly installed Teamviewer, which leaves Windows believing the Host is installed. I can't rerun the host installation as it thinks it's already installed, attempts to repair, reinstall or remove always fail. The only fix is to manually clean Teamviewer from the registry and that takes a long time.

• Okay, we've got a preliminary result. You guys at TeamViewer were right - this is not a TV problem.

The problem is that Ninite Pro when running in update mode incorrectly changes TV Host into the full version. It should not do that. I've sent them a bug report about it. 

I was puzzled as we had no policies that install any new software so this solution seemed incorrect. However, I didn't take into account the update features. We want to keep our small software pieces constantly up to date (think browsers, pdf viewers, etc) so we run Ninite Pro regularly.

edit: I tried to reply to our support ticket for this, but it seems the reply has to come from the same email address on the account. It's a group address, it's not possible to reply from that. How can I update the ticket?

• JeanK

Thanks a lot for sharing the results. ?

Aww this is, indeed, unfortunate...? But don't worry, there is a solution:

Please wirte me via private message your Ticket ID and the new email address you want to use for the correspondence with our support. I will then edit the contact and send to the new email the last reply of our support. Thence, you will be able to reply with the new address.

Best,

Jean

Community Manager

• Just an update for anyone else who may have issues with Ninite Pro updating Teamviewer Host to full version.

Ninite support is looking into this. They had a preliminary solution, based on looking for this registry key:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\TeamViewer]
    "IsHostModule"=dword:00000001

However, at least in our scenario, that key does not appear in that path, or elsewhere in the registry either. I sent them our full registry path for Teamviewer (excluding private data, naturally) to help them in their investigation.

Naturally, should anyone at Teamviewer have any insights for this, please take part. What kind of registry key or other fingerprint we can use to see that the installation is for a host, not full version. I'd be happy to forward them to our support communication with Ninite.

I have a feeling that playing together is the best choice. Both Teamviewer and Ninite are programs to help sysadmins and helpdesk people happier and Ninite's support for Teamviewer is seen as valuable, I hope.

• JeanK

Many thanks @KyuuET to share your final solution. ?

This will help many other users who experience this weird software behaviour...??

Have a great weekend!

Cheers,

Jean

Community Manager