How to access a Mac after it reboots

I've searched the archive and found no updates to this issue. How do I configure TeamViewer on a Mac so that the machine is available for TV login after it reboots? Note, the iMac has multiple users and requires a user to login after a reboot. Every time the iMac reboots, typically after autoinstalling a system update, I lose remote access to the machine. 

I sure hope this is as simple as a checkbox that I have yet to discover. 

Best Answer

Answers

• Vatsilidis
    Vatsilidis Posts: 655 ⭐Star⭐

Hi @djcrone 

The correct way to use a macOS device is first to adjust the screen recording and the other settings described in this related post.

The reboot is better to make it by the top toolbar commands, in order to not lose the connection.

The fact that the macOS every time wants to install an update after the reboot, is not a sign of a stable operating system. You have to figure out what stops the updates to be performed as should be or if these updates are from the Apple or by third app developers. 

Best regards

• djcrone
    djcrone Posts: 3

Thanks for your reply. I'd love to check out the related reply you mentioned. Can you provide the link for that?  

• Vatsilidis
    Vatsilidis Posts: 655 ⭐Star⭐

Here it is about macOS control, please open this link.

Sorry I didn't linked the previous post.

Best regards

• djcrone
    djcrone Posts: 3

Yes, thank you for getting back to the initial question. I'll look for that specific checkbox when I am on site tomorrow morning. Fingers crossed that I simply missed that one. Interesting description of the function. I'm pretty sure I would not have checked that based on the language. 

FYI, on the iMac preferences, I did check the box to have it restart in case of power failure. 

While I appreciate the wisdom of not allowing auto-updates, I made the choice to enable that in this case as this machine (and its twin) typically only have someone physically sitting at them on Sunday mornings when they are used to project media onto the screens during church services. My goal in using TeamViewer is to make it so the small number of us who create the content being displayed do not need to physically drive into the church during the week to do that. Without getting into too many details, the application being used to do these projections is not conducive to creating the content offline or on a different device and bringing a thumb drive, or even using Dropbox or equivalent. There are specific settings on the machine that make it so that you really need to be on the actual computer (directly or via TV style remote) when you create it all. 

I love your secondary access concept. A remote access to get to remote access... I like it. And since there are two machines, as long as one of them is reachable via TV, I should be in good shape.

Thank you for your details response. 

• MacMind
    MacMind Posts: 10 ✭✭

@djcrone 

Sure thing. Glad you've got the option for a 2nd computer, as that can really help! you may wish to also consider disabling auto-updates, and only do them when it's a good safe time to do so, say, once a month, or every 3 months, or whatever. 

Also, I'll try to attach a screen shot of the setting I was referring to for "the TeamViewer Host preferences, then click upon the 'Advanced' tab, and there locate and check the checkbox that says : "Full access control when a partner is connecting to the login window"TV settings.png

• JRPsupport
    JRPsupport Posts: 15 ✭✭

I have followed all the above suggestions and settings on my Mac-Mini M1

The Mac still does not show accessible to teamViewer after a reboot.

Monterey 12.4

• JRPsupport

I have this issue too.

"The Mac still does not show accessible to teamViewer after a reboot."

Monterey macOS 12.6.1.latest

Mac-Mini M1

• JRPsupport

This is the same issue on 3 of our M1 Macs I have tested now.

Am I missing something??

Once a Users physically logs in to an M1 Mac then TeamViewer works fine.

------------------------------------------------

On INTEL Macs we have access before login, but not on M1, M2, Apple Silicone Macs :-(

• JRPsupport

Herewith screenshots of my advanced settings.

I do not see what @djcrone  does in their screenshot FYI :-(

• AIXTools
    AIXTools Posts: 1

The comment about it working on Intel Macs, but not on M1 is very interesting.

Looking back in time, where there was an entry about creating a .plist for launchd gave me something to look for.

On my Mac (Mont. 12.6) as my user I do not see a plist file, but after sudo su - I do see there are two plist files created (for the root user) in /Library/LaunchDaemons, but not in .../LaunchDaemons as the "admin user".

In short, it appears asif the TeamViewer application is doing what needs to be done to have this run at startup, but it is not successful.

Note: There is one (system) update pending, but autoupdates are disabled.

• JRPsupport

Thanks for the reply and thoughts @AIXTools

I have noticed that teamViewer do not respond here, will they?...