No control on remote compluter

Strange issue. When I connect to a remote Win8 laptop, I can close the side TeamViewer window and minimize the top TeamViewer bar, but I cannot do anything else on the computer. I have no control of open windows, my curser seems useless.  Can anyone suggest a solution to this?  We both have TeamViewer V12

Best Answer

Answers

• Chiron
    Chiron Posts: 229 ✭✭

Is your mouse useless on your computer and the remote computer?

Does your keyboard work at all? Try pressing the Windows Key to open the Start Menu.

Do you have this problem if you connect to a different computer?

I don't work for TeamViewer. I'm just a user.
  • Mouse works fine on my desktop. Just cannot operate on remote laptop. Can it be an issue with that remote machine?
  • My mouse works fine on my computer. I do not have TeamViewer set up on another computer at the moment. I'm wondering if there could be an issue with the remote laptop?
    I do not have another computer set up with TeamViewer at the moment to test.
  • Chiron

There are some security settings that could behave the way you are describing. They are buried a bit.

Remote computer

Options > Advanced > Scroll to Advanced settings for connections to this computer > Access Control : Custom Settings > Configure > Control the remote TeamViewer : After Confirmation or Denied.

Your computer

Options > Advanced > Scroll to Advanced settings for connections to other computers > Access Control : Custom Settings > Configure > Control the remote TeamViewer : After Confirmation or Denied.

• Hello Chiron

What does is expected to happen?

Please note, on the remote side I'm running the portable version of TV 13 downloaded yesterday

On this side the same , downloaded today so they are the same version

I don't see the cursor and I cannot click nothing neither to close the teamviewer snippet on the bottom right side

Now on this side I have set what you suggested

I see a big blue arrow moving as cursor but nothing happen when clicking.

On the remote side I have a LAN, as test, before to leave, I have downloaded this same TV 13 portable version on another computer of the LAN and tried to connect.
    From the LAN it worked fine, I have connected and I had the remote cursor and clicks were working.

From here (I'm at home) I DON'T even see any cursor and obviously I can't click nothing.

If I do the modification you suggest, I see and move the blue arrow, if I click nothing happen except to see an additional graphics near the arrow edge

Thank you
  • Chiron

I see a big blue arrow moving as cursor but nothing happen when clicking.

If I do the modification you suggest, I see and move the blue arrow, if I click nothing happen except to see an additional graphics near the arrow edge.

Do you mean an arrow like this?

TV_Blue_Arrow.png

I think I mislead you. The settings mentioned above will cause this behavior IF they are set to "After Confirmation" or "Denied".

Set both sides to Full Control to get rid of the blue arrow and be able to control the remote computer.

• works on my system
  • DouggieFresh
    DouggieFresh Posts: 1

This is only happening to me on Apple Computers.  It started to happen on one client, then another, now all apple computers.  Very frustrating.  Seems to be an issue with the apple computer...

You need to give give TeamViewer accessiblity information.  It's under System Preferences, Security & Privacy, Accessibility.   Under this section you have to click the +  sign and navigate to the Applications folder and add the Teamviewer app.  This is horrrible for people that have a lot of apple computers.  

On the flip side, Apple does ask you to do this when you are installing the latest version of TeamViewer.  This is for OS X 10.13 and 10.14  maybe earlier versions too, but for sure it is required for 10.13 and 10.14

Hope this helps someone.

• i had the same problem with Teamviewer 14 and Majave

what fixed it for me was:

- Apple Icon top left of screen -> System Preferences -> Security and Privacy-> Privacy Tab
    - click on the lock and enter your password, to unlock the system so you can change settings
    - Under "Allow apps below to control my computer" make sure "TeamViewer_Desktop" is listed AND checked. 
    - Under "Allow apps below to control my computer" make sure "TeamViewer" is listed AND checked. 

my computer had them listed but they were not enabled. Once i checked the boxes on both entries i could type and use the mouse. 

• NormVA
    NormVA Posts: 4 ✭✭
    Are these Teamview setting or computer settings? I am trying to control a Mac. I cannot find Options/Advanced. Thanks, Norm
  • JeanK
    JeanK Posts: 6,973 Community Manager 🌍

Hello NormVA,

Thank you for your message.

The settings you need to change have to be done on your remote macOS device, within the system preferences.

I hope this could help.

Cheers

Community Manager

• NormVA
    NormVA Posts: 4 ✭✭
    Thank you.
  • twestheimer
    twestheimer Posts: 3 ✭✭
    I don't find the option "After Confirmation or Denied" TV version 14
  • twestheimer
    no problem on other computers with TV but on one Windows 10 remote the cursor can't do anything :-( Tried to change the options on my TV locally
  • Hello
    if you read my previous post, i said I have done one test from INSIDE my LAN

same program versions ,

they worked

from remote , the same versions, didn't

what fixed the issue has been to start TV as administrator ON THE PC to be controlled

P.S. PLEASE NOTE that I use on both the computers the PORTABLE version of TV
  • twestheimer

Never found that option but after restarting the remote computer it worked

• subsem
    subsem Posts: 1

I have done all above and I have 3 Macs that will not respond until I boot. Then they behave for a couple of connections and then back to no response...boot...

• preji
    preji Posts: 1

yes

• yes there's issue in your remote machine, check it properly and upgrade your teamviewer version from 12 to 14, also reconnect all the components which are connected with it.

• mochi
    mochi Posts: 1

I had the same issue. All the remote control configurations were set correctly, but my mouse cannot move or click anything on the remote device. I have apple IOS on both local and remote devices.

I went to the remote device settings-privacy-accessibility and unselected teamviewer and re-selected it back. This immediately worked for me.

• This worked! Specifically, you must also grant the TeamViewer_Desktop app permission, or you can only view the screen, not control it.

• vilas
    vilas Posts: 4

You need to select both TeamViewer and TeamViewer_Desktop in
    --> Settings,
    --> security & privacy settings,
    --> Accessibility 

on MacBook pro (Mojave) then it will grant remote access.

• Follow guilde and now I can control mac.

Thanks

@JeanK wrote:

Hello all,

First of all, thank you DouggieFresh for your explanation.

Here is the official link for this topic : How to control a Mac running macOS 10 14 Mojave

I hope this could help. If not, do not hesitate to contact us again.

Cheers

@JeanK wrote:

Hello all,

First of all, thank you DouggieFresh for your explanation.

Here is the official link for this topic : How to control a Mac running macOS 10 14 Mojave

I hope this could help. If not, do not hesitate to contact us again.

Cheers

• Exactly WHERE is this Accessibility Control to uncheck & the re-check?  I looked in my Settings and cannot find it?  Is it "Access?"  I only have Full Access, Confirm All, View & Show, Custom Settings, and Deny Incoming Remote Sessions under Access.  Help!  I want to try this as TV will not respond to my pleas for aid in this matter and I have a bunch of elderly people needing assistance (free) from me.  Thank you SO MUCH!

• JeanK
    JeanK Posts: 6,973 Community Manager 🌍

Hello @Melonc

Thank you for your message.

You need to do these changes in the preferences of your Mac, not on the Management Console.

You will find more information here: How to use System Preferences settings on a Mac 

Best,

Jean

Community Manager

• Thanks, Jean, but I'm on PC, not Mac.  This is too sad.  I will check around online to see where these might be in a PC, I suppose.

• Jean, What type of Access are you talking about?  I can certainly find System Preferences on my PC, but then I'm stymied as to where to go from there?  What type of Accessibility?

Thanks,

Melon