Remote control of Chromebook

Hello,

I still cant find any way to remotely control a Chromebook.... the last post re this subject was nearly 4 years ago.....is there any update on whether this feature is possible? Thanks

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• Vatsilidis
    Vatsilidis Posts: 655 ⭐Star⭐

Hi @dmackay41 

There is a Chrome add-on in Chrome Web Store updated at November 2019.

Have you tried it?

Best regards

• dmackay41
    dmackay41 Posts: 5 ✭✭

Thank you...what is it called...my search for remote control chromebook returned no results.

• dmackay41

Thanks... tried that.... it just lets you control someone elses device as far as i can see, not the other way round.... I want to control a Chromebook (my elderly mums).... from my Windows PC

• Vatsilidis

It seems that you are right!

As described to this post also, Chrome OS allowed outgoing connections only, not incoming.

BUT, here is another trick that could save you a little.

You can install a Virtual Machine on the Chromebook and run in there Windows applications. You can not control of course the VM operating system, not the whole Chromebook, but from the zero connection, this is a solution, maybe not the best.

You can find more info about in this post and this post (of course the latest version is preferable).

Happy connections and be safe.

• dmackay41

Too complicated for my elderly mother !

• Vatsilidis

I can understand that is not easy for elderly people to step with technology.

What do you think if you giving to your mother some very simple instructions to follow, in order to (probably) enable the installation of Linux apps in the Chromebook?

I mean very simple instructions and probably (I haven't tested it) you will able to install and run the Teamviewer app Linux edition on the Chromebook. If you want, you can give it a try with this link about how to enable this feature. When installation finished, you can try to install TeamViewer from the black Terminal window that will appear on the screen.

After searching on the web, Chrome os supports ..deb packages and there is a chance to support the Teamviewer.deb also (if all goes well during installation). All you got to do is to try it. You can find the command-line instructions in this link.

Thank you and stay safe

• dmackay41

Thank you so much, I teally appreciate this.

• Vatsilidis

Thank you, you are very welcome. We do our best, especially those difficult days...

One last tip, maybe it is easier if you could share with her this link of an installation video, in order to be able to see the same pictures that you see, and by this to guide her easier to install it from the website (I remind that I haven't done this before but it worth the try).

Best regards

• JeanK
    JeanK Posts: 6,973 Community Manager 🌍

Hello @dmackay41 and @Vatsilidis,

Wow...I see that @Vatsilidis you really dug in deep....I've good news regarding this ?

As we say...better late than never! ?

We are happy to announce that you can now share the screen of your devices running ChromeOS. ?

If you want to connect via unattended access, please use the TeamViewer Host.
    If you want to connect spontaneously, please use the TeamViewer QuickSupport.

You will find the download links here:

Alternatively, you can also download these versions directly on our website here: TeamViewer for Chrome OS

Please also find additional information here: Supported platforms - Chrome OS 

Feel free to share your feedback!

Have a good end of the week. and stay safe! ?

Best,

Jean

Community Manager

• bhieb
    bhieb Posts: 8

Hi Jean,

If I install Teamviewer Host on a Chromebook will I be able to remotely access the Chromebook from Teamviewer on a Windows 10 PC?  The reason I ask is my elderly father recently purchased a Chromebook but is having trouble logging on.  I need a way to monitor his Chromebook screen while he is attempting to log on so I can guide him.  Alternatively, if I could control his Chromebook remotely I could log on for he watches what I do on his Chromebook screen. 

With your recent update to Teamviewer Host I am wondering if it would provide the functionality I need?  If so, are there installation and setup instructions available to help me?

Brad

• JeanK

@bhieb this is correct ? you can install the TeamViewer Host on your father's Chromebook and make him share his screen with you.

The installation is very classic, like any other program on ChromeOS: Click on the setup, next, next, next, install...done! ?

Best,

Jean

Community Manager

• bhieb

Hi Jean,

That sounds great!  So if I understood correctly, with Teamviewer Host installed on my fathers Chromebook I can monitor the Chromebook screen and even control the Chromebook remotely without anyone being logged into the Chromebook to grant me permission.  All I need is for the Chromebook to be powered up.

Is this understanding correct?

Brad

• JeanK

@bhieb,

No, you will only be able to see the screen of his Chromebook. You won't be able to remote control it.

All I need is for the Chromebook to be powered up.

Yes, this is correct. The Chromebook only has to be turned on and TeamViewer Host has to be active.

Best,

Jean

Community Manager

• bhieb

How do I make sure that Teamviewer Host is always active when the Chromebook is powered up?  Is there something equivalent to the Windows Start menu in Chrome OS?

Brad

• bhieb

Hi Jean,

I have tested Teamviewer Host on a Chromebook and it appears that I am only able to connect with the Chromebook if the person whose account Teamviewer Host was installed into is already logged onto the Chromebook, and that person grants me permission to remotely monitor the screen. 

Here is my setup:

• I have a Samsung Chromebook running Chrome OS v 81.0.4044.141 and a Windows 10 PC.

Here are the tests I tried:

• Connecting to the Chromebook from my Windows 10 PC with no one logged into the Chromebook.  From my Windows 10 Teamviewer app I clicked on the "Remote control" button.   The app reports "Starting Host app....".  Nothing happens for a around 20 seconds, then the app reports "Connection not established" and I never see the Chromebook screen in Teamviewer on my Windows PC.
    • Connecting to the Chromebook from my Windows 10 PC where someone is logged into the Chromebook.  (Note, the person logged into the Chromebook is the same account used to install Teamviewer Host.)   From my Windows 10 Teamviewer app I clicked on the "Remote control" button.   The app reports "Starting Host app..".  A large window appears on my Windows 10 PC with the menu items "Dashboard", "Remote control", "Apps", and "Settings" across the top.  "Remote control" is highlighted.  In the center of the window is the screen sharing area displaying the message "Connecting to <name of Chromebook>...".  On the Chromebook a "Share your entire screen" window appears, prompting the Chromebook user to choose what they would like to share.  When I choose a window and click on the "Share" button, sometimes the screen sharing area in my Windows 10 Teamviewer app displays the screen from the Chromebook.  Sometimes it doesn't display the Chromebook screen until I click on the Host app on in the launcher bar on the Chromebook.  

It appears I am unable to view the Chromebook screen unless someone is logged into the Chromebook. Unfortunately this isn't the functionality I need.   What I need to help my dad is the ability to initiate a connection from my Windows 10 PC to my dads Chromebook even if no one is logged into the Chromebook.  You have said this is possible, but so far I have not been able to figure out how.  Perhaps I am doing something wrong?  Can you help me figure out how to make this work?

Brad 

• JeanK

@bhieb,

The TeamViewer Host has been designed to always be active, as long as the Chromebook is turned on. ?

So you don't have to worry about this. ?

Best,

Jean

Community Manager

• bhieb

Hi Jean,

OK, good to know that Teamviewer Host will always be active as long as the Chromebook is powered on. 

What I observed through my testing is you cannot monitor the Chromebook screen unless someone is logged into the Chromebook and grants you access to share their screen.  Is this correct?

If that is indeed the case, then I would not be able to guide my father through the Chromebook log in process because it's impossible to monitor his Chromebook screen until he is logged in and grants me access.

Can you confirm or correct this assessment?

Thanks,

Brad

• JeanK

Hello @bhieb,

EDIT: This is correct. On ChromeOS, the remote user has to confirm the connection.

Best,

Jean

Community Manager

• bhieb

HI Jean,

I tried to follow the instructions you provided but was unable to do so.  From what I could tell, the instructions assume you have installed Teamviewer on the device to be connected to.  Initially I had only installed Teamviewer Host, but to try to comply with the new instructions I installed Teamviewer from GooglePlay on my Chromebook.  What I noticed right away is that Teamviewer looks very different on the Chromebook than it does on a Windows PC.  Teamviewer on Chromebook does not have an Menu bar with the menu item "Extras" like the Windows 10 version does.  Therefore, it is impossible to set up Easy Access according to these instructions.  

At this point I still don't believe it is possible to configure Teamviewer and/or Teamviewer Host on a Chromebook so that it is possible to remotely monitor the Chromebook screen even if no one is logged into the Chromebook.  

From what I can tell it is impossible to gain access to monitor a Chromebook from another system unless someone is logged into the Chromebook and accepts the screen sharing request.  This is evidently due to how Chrome OS is written.  

Can you tell me if this is the correct understanding or am I missing something else?

Brad

• bhieb

HI Jean,

I believe I have already assigned my Chromebook to my Teamviewer account because the Chromebook showes up in the "My Computers" list when I log into my Teamviewer account and when I open Teamviewer Host on my Chromebook it reports that the device is assigned to me and lists my email address.

Despite having the Chromebook assigned to my Teamviewer account I am still unable to connect to it from my Windows 10 PC unless someone is logged into the Chromebook and grants me permission to monitor the Chromebook screen when the access request window appears on the Chromebook.  

A quick Google search leads me to believe this behavior is just the way Chrome OS was designed.  In other words, it is currently impossible to remotely access a Chromebook from a remote system unless someone is already logged into the Chromebook and accepts the screen sharing request when I initiate a connection request from the Windows 10 PC.

Can you confirm or correct this assessment?

Thanks,

Brad

• bhieb

Hi Jean,

No worries.  I'm just glad to understand the situation.  Thanks for clarifying.

Brad

• Hi Jean,

Has this changed yet with the Chromebook. We'd love an option where as a parent I can remote into a Chromebook quickly without a prompt to see if my child is watching the wrong Youtube videos for his schooling.

Thanks, Ken

• mosal
    mosal Posts: 1

So it is not possible to remotely control a chromebook from a PC? Only to see the screen?

• JeanK

@mosal Correct 👍

Community Manager

• avagyan
    avagyan Posts: 1
    edited November 2021

This doesn't work / Would be nice if you really edit your original post, and would be nice if TeamViewer put's a note that Host download doesn't work as intended for Chromebook

-------

Huge message on Chromebook: Host will have access to all of the information that is visible on your screen or played from your device while recording or casting. This includes information such as passwords, payment details, photos, messages, and audio that you play. 

CANCEL / START NOW 

------

Hours wasted, unnecessary accounts created, software installed

------

[removed per Community Guidelines]

• nobru92
    nobru92 Posts: 1

Hello

I try to monitor a remote Chromebook from a W10 PC with Teamwiever ; I have downloaded QS and the universal add-on on the Chromebook.

It connects but it is unstable ; usually it seems that the Chromebook CPU load goes up to 100% ; Sometimes I get the screen visible, but more often the display on the PC remains 'connecting to 58812.......' with nothing visible ; for shure on the Chromebook I permit to share the display when requested.

I try to have the global system running on my Chromebook before operating it on the Chromebook of my elderly parents.

It is not reliable up to now.

Can anybody give a feedback on a similar configuration ?

Thanks

• reynolwc2000
    reynolwc2000 Posts: 3 ✭✭

I am facing same issue from a Windows 10 running Teamviewer for Windows and trying to connect and remote control a Chromebook, which has Teamviewer Quick Support installed on it. Other posts have indicated that by late 2022 (now) remote control is supposed to be available? I am able to connect, but just like was reported by BHIEB in may, 2020, the CPU registers 100% and while i can "view" the remote chromebook (after the user permits me), none of the remote control works. i have tried from the Windows running Teamviewer and also an iphone. Same results. Cannot get the Chromebook to respond to remote control. Help? Is it possible or not?