Highlighted
Posted by
Henagon

Slow Response Time on Desktop with No Monitor

Hello all!

I currently have an HDMI dummy plug into my tower & when I remote in via teamviewer the connection is very slow and often completely freezes. I'm using the suggested optimal resolution and i've tried adjusting all view settings to optimize, but nothing works. When it try logging in via my cellphone the connection is very smooth. It only seems to be very laggy when I remote in from my other computer. 

Any suggestions on how to improve this?

16 Replies
16 Replies
Highlighted
Posted by TeamViewer Star
TeamViewer Star

Re: Slow Response Time on Desktop with No Monitor

Hi @Someguy123 

Thanks for post this issue, it may help other people facing the same or similar issue to you in the future as the dummy plug monitor it becomes day to day even more famous.

I believe that the main reason for this issue is the fact that the dummy plug fitted on your computer it fools the computer and thinking that a high-resolution monitor is has been attached on it, and as result is a tying to unleash and transfer its full graphical potential to the computer you are seating front.

The mobile phone has probably a smaller resolution and auto-scaling may occur.

Please give it a try in this direction and see if works. 

Best regards

Pro
Highlighted
TeamViewer Star

Hi

As a continue to the previous reply, at first, I would suggest you ta take a look at this post about headless systems graphics and possible issues.

Second, there are several settings about the graphics during a connection.

One other factor is if the software driver of the graphic card to the remote pc is installed properly. I mean that it must be from the vendor of the graphic card for a discrete card or from the vendor of the motherboard for onboard cards. In any case, it shouldn't be the driver of the operating system and there are case things get complicated in a system with two graphic cards at the same time, like a laptop with an onboard and dedicated card. Many of these times are using both graphic cards in parallel or simultaneously. You could try to disable in that case the dedicated graphic card and work with the onboard one. But of course, it may exist other factors causing a delay in graphics.

Thank you and I hope some of these details to give you a solution

Best regards

Pro
Highlighted
Posted by
Henagon

Right now I have an HDMI dummy plug in my headless machine. Both have 32g ram and plenty of power on both ends. 

Both machines i'm using have NVIDIA Geforce graphics cards installed properly and only 1 card.

My connection will run smoothly for 1-5 minutes and then all of a sudden i'll experience extreme lag. Often if I try to move around or open other windows/applications. Lag and eventual freezing will occur for a short  period. Then the connection will pick back up and work again for a little bit. I can't ever seem to establish a smooth connection for extended periods of time.

I don't know what else I can do to fix this.

Highlighted
TeamViewer Star

Hi 

Could you go to the task manager and monitor the usage of the disk drive, the CPU, the RAM, and the Network?

It could be something in 100% of workload or space load for RAM and causing this big delay to all other processes. Note that you can have many windows open of the task manager at the same time, in order to monitor all these 4 critical areas. 

Leave it open at the beginning of the connection and look at what is happening.

Best regards

Pro
Highlighted
Posted by
Henagon

CPU around 6-10% (max 15%) Memory 15% steady, Disk 1% and network 0%

Still experiening latency in response time with very little windows/applications open. At times it's better than others but it's up and down. When I do have something that has active graphics such as a stream or video, teamviewer will skyrocket to 40-50% CPU.  

Highlighted
TeamViewer Star

ok..

Could you please upload some screenshots of both ends graphics menu settings?

Please make sure to hide ID and password.

Pro
Highlighted
TeamViewer Star

Also, please I'd like to know some details about the dummy monitor plug.

Thank you

Pro
Highlighted
Posted by
Henagon

Where can I find this on teamviewer?

Highlighted
TeamViewer Star

It is on the top toolbar when connecting. You can take a fast search to menus. It is in a very easy-reading way structured.

Pro
Highlighted
Posted by
Henagon

I'm a bit lost - is it under connection, extras, help or feedback? or is it under when you're actually in a session?

Highlighted
TeamViewer Star

Please take a look at some screenshots in this post and you will understand.

Also, try to adjust the screen resolution. You will see how to do this on the screenshots again.

One picture equals a thousand words they say. Imagine decades of pictures what they can do!!!

Pro
Highlighted
Posted by
Henagon

Annotation 2020-03-13 205455.png

Are these the settings you are looking for?

Highlighted
Posted by
Henagon

Here is a picture on the remote machine. 

Annotation 2020-03-13 205804.png

Highlighted
TeamViewer Star

Wow, it seems to be a high resolution there!

Could you please decrease it around in half and see the results of the performance?

Pro
Highlighted
Posted by
Henagon

Right now it seems to be working a little bit better on the optimal setting. I did find a driver that I was able to update for NIVIDA video card. I'm wondering if that is helping some. 

I just want to be able to find consistant performance so I can rely on the same performance at all times.

Highlighted
TeamViewer Star

well done @Someguy123 .

You almost got it working smoothly. One more setting that will help you, is to adjust the color to be NOT in true color but one step down to high color.

I'm happy for finding the root of the cause.

Please try to adjust a little more further these settings (probably decrease a bit the screen resolution) and you will be experiencing perfect remote connection!

One other detail that may help is to update all important system drivers to have it in perfect working order. I'm referring just as an example one of them is the Drivermax.

Also, please have in mind that this is a new upcoming issue since the HDMI dummy plug is a new smart idea, and I believe in the future will exist other people with similar issues to yours. This post will help them to find the solution very fast.

Thank you for listening and trusted me on these steps and best regards.

See you

Pro