Team Viewer NOT Working on Mac

Hello. 

First of all, please bear with me. I'm a first time user, am NOT heavily tech savvy and it's possible Team Viewer might not be capable of serving my purpose. 

I have two laptops. 
1. My primary: A Macbook Air 2010 with OSX High Sierra 10.13.6
2. My secondary: An Acer Aspire 5532 with Windows 10. 

My goal is to access the Acer remotely from the Macbook Air and be able to transfer files in the same direction. 
I've installed Team Viewer on both machines and on the Acer, it went smoothly. 
I set up an unattended access password and it's been added to my account's group or network or whatever. 

On the Macbook, however, I can do nothing more than open the program. 
I can't create an unattended access password for it or add it to my account's network/group and can only access the remote manager at the website vs being able to do so in the software on the Acer.
I'm able to see the Acer with a 'connect' button but when I click it, I get a pop-up telling me to open Team Viewer and when I click the 'open Team Viewer' button in the pop-up, nothing happens. 

Is this because Team Viewer doesn't connect the rival operating systems?
Why won't Team Viewer add my Macbook to my account?
Are these related? I'm leaning towards no due to the very existence of the Mac supported version of Team Viewer. 

Again, I'm new at this and honestly don't know much of what I'm doing and would appreciate some patient assistance. 

Best Answer

Answers

• Scotty
    Scotty Posts: 493 Staff member 🤠

Hi Mouse,

Thanks for posting.

It sounds like you do not actually have the software open and it may not be installed.

From your description, I would say you have a web browser open and are just looking at the online management console.
    https://login.teamviewer.com

MCO.PNG

This isn't the software, it's just where you can manage your account online.
    You need to either open the app if it is installed or download and install the application.

It should look like this where you have a TeamViewer ID showing.:
    Fullversion_ID.png

I hope this helps.

-Scotty

Senior Moderator
    Did my reply answer your question? Why not accept it as a solution to help others?
  • mkofski
    mkofski Posts: 13 ✭✭
    Mouse,

I can't tell what your problem is but can tell you that it's not because of different operating systems.

Are you logged into your account on the Mac? If you are always connecting to the Acer from the Mac, you shouldn't have to log onto your account on the Acer. On the Mac, you just enter the TeamViewer ID and password from the Acer and click the connect button.

Good luck
    Mike
  • Mouse
    Mouse Posts: 7

Scotty and mkofski,
    Thanx for the responses.

On the contrary, I do have the software on the Macbook. 
    I installed the app and the icon is on my deck. 
    Here:
    imageI did use the online management console but only because I couldn't open it in the software. 

Now if I'm logged into the software on the Macbook,  I am unsure and can find no option to either login or log out. 
    I don't recall being asked to log in when the software opened but rather to create an unattended access password which doesn't go through because I am still asked to do so every time I open the software. 

• mkofski

Mouse,

Looks like you just need to get TeamViewer running on your Mac.  Look ok the recent items option on the Apple menu.  See if you have TeamViewer.app on there.  If So, select that.  If now look in the Applications folder and start it from there.  If you can't find it in the Applicatiosn menu, are you sure you installed the full TeamViewer app?  Maybe you have the Quick support version installed.  That version of TV will not allow you to connect to another computer.

Do you see the TeamViewer icon on your Doc?  Is there a small gray dot next to it.  The dot indicates that an application is running.  In the picture you sent it looks like Twitter, Chrome and iTunes are running and Calendar is not.

You'll need to get it running.  After that, you should b e able to log onto your account and see the Acer.

After you gt it running on the Mac, you can enter the Acers' TV ID and password.  There shoiuld be box at the top right of the TV window to type in the Acrers' ID.

You don't need unattended access on the Mac, just on the Acer.

If you are staill having trouble I would Download and reinstall TV making sure you have the full version of TeamViewer sownloaded.

Mike

• Mouse

Mike,

Yes to all:

- TV does appear in recent items
    - TV does appear in my applications and opens from it but no differently than I described above. As always, it has opened to the initial setup with the request to create an unattended access password. 
    - There is an icon in my dock as I've provided a screencap of above.
    - There is a grey dot in front of the dock icon indicating that it is open. 

• mkofski
    Is there a box at the top right of the TeamViewer window for the partner ID? If you don't have the TeamViewer window open, right click the TeamViewer icon on your Doc and select TeamViewer. That should open the window you need.
  • Mouse

No, the only window available in the Team Viewer software including the right-click menu of the dock icon is the initial setup which as I've said doesn't go through.

When I enter an unattended access password I'm told the initial set up is complete and to press 'finish' to open Team Viewer. I do and the window closes but nothing else happens. 

Then when I close the software and reopen it, the initial setup will repeat. 

• Mouse

Must I quit everything else to run it? I like to multitask. 
    I don't have a download folder, just the DMG. Is that an indicator that it's not a full version? 
    If I need another installer would you mind linking me to the right one?

• mkofski
    Download it again - don't use a dmg you already have. As long as you know where it is you don't need a download folder.
    For the 2 minutes it takes, I would quit all the running programs including the web browser.

I you are having trouble, keep things as simple as possible.
  • Mouse

Success, thanx.

New problem now--at least I assume.  
    I am being denied a connection to the Acer because the software is not running on it. 
    This wouldn't be concerning except you said earlier that I shouldn't need to be logged in on the Acer because Macbook is the desired remote.  

I just wanna be sure I understand. 

• mkofski

Sounds like you are almost there.

On the Acer TeamViewer needs to be running.  On that machine you can set up a custom password (unattended access).  Once TV is running on the acer all you need it its TV user ID and passord.  Say the user ID is 111 111 111 nd the password is 1234.

On the Mac you type 111 111 111 in the partner ID box at the top and click the connect button.  The return key will work also.  After you do that you will be prompted for the password so you enter 1234 and press Return.

That should get you there.  If you find that you don't really have TV installed on the Acer, repeate the process you used on the Mac and try the install again.

Good luck

• Mouse

I'm in. 
    Thanx again Mike. 

• vilas
    vilas Posts: 4

You need to select both TeamViewer and TeamViewer_Desktop in
    --> Settings,
    --> security & privacy settings,
    --> Accessibility 

on MacBook pro (Mojave) then it will grant remote access.

• Straylight
    Straylight Posts: 1

The Teamviewer app does not run on my MacBook Air. The dot briefly appears under the app when I launch it but that's it. The app never opens.