Team viewer 14 monitor driver can't install

Hi

I can't install monitor driver in advanced settings.

"The monitor driver installition has failed"

What is the problem?

TV14 / Windows 10 / 1809 Update

Thanks for help.

Comments

• Natascha
    Natascha Posts: 1,591 Moderator

Hi @skrissz,

Thank you for your post. 

Can you please try to install the driver manually via the local Device Manager? 

For further information regarding the monitor driver, please look at the following Knowledge Base article: How to turn the remote screen black

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us again :) 

Best,
    Natascha

German Community moderator 💙 Moderatorin der deutschsprachigen Community

• Hi Natascha

Unfortunately I already tried this methods :smileysad: but the "Monitor driver installition has failed" and I can't find the TVMonitor.sys file in windows folder.

• Natascha
    Natascha Posts: 1,591 Moderator

Hi @skrissz,

Thank you for your answer. 

As described in the mentioned Knowledge Base article:
    "Not all monitors, video cards, motherboards, or BIOS support the TeamViewer monitor driver solution, which is required to use the black screen. The TeamViewer monitor driver solution is dependent on the implementation of hardware vendors and in case of incompatibility, you may not be able to use this feature with some host computers."

Could be possible, that this is the reason in your case. 

I'm really sorry for the circumstances. :( 

Best,
    Natascha

German Community moderator 💙 Moderatorin der deutschsprachigen Community

• Hutch
    Hutch Posts: 5

Hi Natascha

Can you please provide instructions on how to install the driver manually in Device Manager?  Where do we get the files?

• Hutch

I found the files in "C:\Program Files (x86)\TeamViewer\x64" but the digital signature expired 2018-03-03.  That's why it won't install.  Can we download the files with a valid signature from somewhere?

• Hey! 

I solved the trouble.

You need reboot OS without checking signing drivers.

1. Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, tap Settings, and then tap Change PC settings. 
      (If you're using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, click Settings, and then click Change PC settings.)
    2. Under PC settings, tap or click Update and recovery, and then tap or click Recovery.
    3. Under Advanced startup, tap or click Restart now.
    4. Once your PC restarts, on the Choose an option screen, tap or click TroubleshootIf you don't see the Startup Settings option, tap or click Advanced options.
    5. Tap or click Startup Settings and then Restart.
    6. On the Startup Settings screen, choose load without checking signing drivers.
    7. Sign in to your PC with a user account that has administrator rights.
  • tAp
    tAp Posts: 14

Natascha,
    The Monitor Driver is this file - c:\windows\system32\drivers\TVMonitor.sys.

If you look at the properties of that file, then the Digitial Signature Details, then View Certificate of the signer, and you will see that it is code signed by "TeamViewer GmbH" who's certificate expired 3/3/2018.

That is why in device manager it says "Windows cannot verify the digital signature for the drivers required for this device. A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged, or that might be malicious software from an unknown source. (Code 52)"

This can only be fixed by TeamViewer by signing the Monitor Driver with the new code signing certificate and inlcuding it in the next TV update.  

TeamViewer, please sign all your drivers with valid code signing certificates!

• acimand
    acimand Posts: 1

So over the weekend, this issue has now surfaced for me as well.

For some reason, I am no longer able to see dual screens over TeamViewer, or black out the screens on the other end.

The agent is unable to install the monitor driver, either locally from the advanced options, or remotely, when selecting to blackout the screen...

• lenyadish
    lenyadish Posts: 5

Does anyone own a license to solve a problem through support?

• MrJayTheITGuy
    MrJayTheITGuy Posts: 5 ✭✭

way to NOT help out TV support.  Congrats on sluffing off and blaming it on "hardware".

Face it something has changed and your software is no longer working correctly.

• Erroneus
    Erroneus Posts: 2

I do.

I'm opening a ticket right now, to get this sorted out.

• MrJayTheITGuy
    As do I

I opened a ticket and got a **bleep** copy paste response back.

Thank you for contacting TeamViewer. I'll be taking care of your case.

The reason why this feature is not working on Windows 10 is that it's a legacy driver and it's not compatible with the OS.

This will make not possible to use this feature on Windows 10.

In this situation, what we can do is submit a feature request regarding this issue.

Would you like me to proceed? We are looking forward to your comments.

Sorry about any inconvenience.
  • tAp

Maybe try opeing the ticket as TeamViewer Driver not signed by valid code signing certificate. Maybe they will open the ticket if it doesnt say "monitor".

• MrJayTheITGuy
    Oh trust me i did. Theres another 14 or so emails i wont copy. Too many *bleeps* haha.

They dont care. Its been sent to “DEV” for review blah blah

Guess ill be looking at **Third Party Product** again this year
  • dougjr17
    dougjr17 Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Teamviewer has jumped the shark for me with this issue.
  • Hutch

@MrJayTheITGuy. Tell them they are full of **bleep**. The drivers work fine if you tell windows to ignore the digital signature as lenyadish described above. The problem isn't with windows. The need to stop blaming everyone else and invest the 10 minutes it will take to fix this. Somebody needs to be fired over this.

• Erroneus
    Erroneus Posts: 2

Yeah I'm getting the same copy/paste reply. I even asked for an ETA, to get some more precise information and to push for an acutal solution. Still getting the same useless reply, that it has been forwarded to devs.

Pretty wild, such a simple error, which can be fixed farly quick, has to be this hard for them to get fixed.

Guess it's time to find another solution, when they can't offer proper support, with the amount of money we are throwing at them every year.

• MrJayTheITGuy

talked to a manager named William in Florida call center.  he says there is a known bug for this issue and it is on their "internal bug tracker".  according to latest update Development is watiing on Microsoft to tell them what to do about driver signing or whatever.

idk.. another dead end run around.

the only promise he could give me was to attach my ticket to the bug tracker and if there is updates it will email me

• tAp

I just noticed that on the version I have - 14.3.4730 - Black Screen is it now a paid version only feature. 

But don't buy a license becuase the TVMonitor driver still does not install. 

• johnksss
    johnksss Posts: 4

It's not just that version.  They seem to be working their way backward in to blocking that feature on non paid versions.

• Has any of you found a solution to this?

I swear I have just bought a Remote Access license as this became a licensed feature I used to use, and this is now seriously making me extremely unhappy. I noticed the current insider version also has an expired driver back in 2018, while the VPN driver isn't, so it looks TW knows what they are doing...

• You can try to boot to safe mode with driver inforcement disabled.

Then install the monitor driver on the machine inquestion.

Reboot and see if that works. That is what I had to do to a few machines of mine.

• @johnksss thanks for the tip, however this is an extremely dirty workaround you, well, in the first place, just don't want to risk attempting after you paid for a license for it, and secondly, you cannot do it at all with a remote machine you want to remote access!

@TeamViewer 

The matter here is purely @TeamViewer knowingly not resolving an issue only @TeamViewer  can resolve by getting their driver signed, after almost an year now, and knowingly even making its use a premium feature while knowingly not having resolved it. This is extremely unacceptable, sorry, well, not really, but I guess I am going to open a ticket also, and if no quick resolution is offered, request a refund for the premium feature I have specifically paid for. 

• @MatteoV wrote:

@johnksss thanks for the tip, however this is an extremely dirty workaround you, well, in the first place, just don't want to risk attempting after you paid for a license for it, and secondly, you cannot do it at all with a remote machine you want to remote access!

@TeamViewer 

The matter here is purely @TeamViewer knowingly not resolving an issue only @TeamViewer  can resolve by getting their driver signed, after almost an year now, and knowingly even making its use a premium feature while knowingly not having resolved it. This is extremely unacceptable, sorry, well, not really, but I guess I am going to open a ticket also, and if no quick resolution is offered, request a refund for the premium feature I have specifically paid for. 

I have been running a paid corporate version since version 10.

This fix is only for certain machines with windows version con filcks.

The other 99% of machines it's installed on with out of date file works perfectly fine. And that is well over 300 machines. 

So other than that, I don't know what to tell you as you will be waiting a very long time for that fix that hasn't shown up for over a year now.

Good luck.

• Thanks @johnksss , just for me to understand, are you saying that if this driver is installed in safe mode / no enforcement, it will then be resilient at next boots?

• No, it will not.  You would have to go through that complicated restart every time and if you have bitlocker enabled, you have to enter the recovery key every time too.

• @MatteoV wrote:

Thanks @johnksss , just for me to understand, are you saying that if this driver is installed in safe mode / no enforcement, it will then be resilient at next boots?

For me, it's been a 1 time thing on the 4 machines I had to do it to. 1 just 2 weeks ago.(Windows 7 Pro) So far it seems to be a one time thing as long as you have a paid version. The driver gets installed in safe mode and the computer reboots normal. And the driver stays installed.

Edit:

Me, I do not use bitlocker as it doesn't help against ransomware.