TeamViewer And TeamViewer Host For Remote Screen And Cursor Control

Hi!

I currently have both my iMac and my Mom's new iMac side-by-side, and want to set them up so I will be able to remotely control her screen and cursor (and have her see what I'm doing on her end so I can offer her realtime tutorials) after I ship the iMac to her in another state; however, I am admittedly stumped as to which computer to set up as a TeamViewer computer and which one should have a TeamViewer Host setup (and then how to initiate such a screen share/control session). Apologies if this is a question already answered elsewhere, but I couldn't seem to find a step-by-step guide to set two computers up this way (if it helps, she won't ever be controlling my computer, and neither of us needs any type of 2-factor authorization/security).

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Tagged:

Comments

• Ying_Q
    Ying_Q Posts: 2,584 Moderator

Hi @jazkeys ,

Thank you for posting.

According to your description, kindly try the suggested set ups below:

1. download and install TeamViewer full version on your iMac (Local side), and download TeamViewer Host on your mum's iMac (Remote side) please
    2. set up a personal password while you are in the process of installing TeamViewer Host
    3. on the local side, create a TeamViewer account on your iMac, save the TeamViewer Host ID  and the personal password under your Computers & Contacts list

Feel free to try the steps above and contact us if further instruction is needed.

Good luck on it.

Kind Regards

Ying_Q

Community Moderator/中文社区管理员
  • Hi!

Thanks for the information, but I'm admittedly confused. I assumed that by installing TeamViewer on both iMacs, I'd be able to control my Mom's iMac remotely (while she watches what I do) *without* having to use a web browser; please confirm, as I still have not figured out how to do this.

• Ying_Q

Hi @jazkeys 

Thank you for your post.

As long as you have established the remote connection successfully, there will be a TeamViewer windows popup on your screen (local side), just like a web browser windows which allows you to view the destop of remote screen. 

On the remote side,  there is no web browser popout but a small TeamViewer display box on the right hand side bottom corner of the screen on the remote device which indicates the remote session starts. 

I hope the explaination is clear and useful.

Feel free to contact us if there is anything we may assist further.

Regards

Ying_Q

• Sorry, but I still cannot figure this out, and am quite frustrated. Both my iMac and my Mom's has TeamViewer installed, and when I choose to remotely control a nearby computer, her iMac shows up as on option, but TeamViewer will never let me connect (we are on the same WiFi network since I am working on both computers side-by-side).

To be clear, I could only find and download one version of the installer, so I did NOT install a Host version on my Mom's iMac and a "local" one on mine. I'm confused by machine ID's and randomly generated passwords since I don't want my Mom to have do do ANYTHING except accept my invitation to control her screen (in other words, she should not have to deal with a new password every time we want to have a remote session).

Please forward a step-by-step guide to installing and configuring TeamViewer on EACH of the two computers so that once we successfully set both up once, I will be able to remotely control my Mom's iMac in Illinois from mine in California (and she will be able to see everything that I'll be doing). I'm worrying that her computer is even showing up on mine because they're on the same WiFi network (so once my Mom gets on her WiFi network in Illinois, they won't be able to communicate).

Please advise.

Thanks!

• Ying_Q

Hi, @jazkeys 

Feel free to browse How to Get Started with TeamViewer Remote Control for basic connection steps.

As you have mentioned in previous post that you have experienced some issues when you start connecting. Can you kindly provide a screenshot of the issue or any error message from both sides of devices which you are encountered with please. 

Regards

Ying_Q