TeamViewer pops-up Awaiting Authentication by itself randomly?

Labsy
Labsy Posts: 40 ✭✭

Hi,

oh, my....this is my 6th time writing the same post. It looks like this Board has quite some BUGS, because as soon as I add <CODE> to the post, or if the post is too long, or if it contains some trigger words, it get's deleted without stating a reason and even without letting you know it is deleted! Actually, it alwasy shows up as saved in Board, but when you go to Board, your post is not there. Nevermind...let's get to the question:

I have TeamViewer HOST installed on 3 of my PCs (2 offices and 1 at home). Weird thing is happening from time to time, when I work on some of my computers on some other application, like Word or Outlook or something...then all of the sudden TeamViewer window pops-up from behind into focus, and I can see in bottom line: Awaiting Authentication...
Then after few seconds it gets denied: Authentication Denied.

What could that be?

• Is it me accidentally hitting some CTRL or ALT something keys combination to trigger this behaviour? I tried ALT+TAB to TeamViewer window, then hitting ENTER, but nothing happens.
  • Is is some CLIENT compromised, trying to access my HOST install from customized CLIENT install?
  • Is it some CLIENT maybe just rebooted in the middle of the night, and it authenticates somehow when it boots up again?
  • Or just and internet connection hiccup, on my side or at one of the clients?
  • Hacking attempt?
  • Something else?

Unfortunatelly, I cannot post any part of LOG here, because if I do so, the post is DELETED instantly as I described in my first paragraph.

Comments

• Labsy

Hi folks,

I wrote a post/question in TeamViewer - General questions some time ago, but as soon as it was posted, I lost track of it. I simply cannot find it anymore. Aslo this board has some own logic, which is very unfriendly to my way of thinking, so I really do not know how to get some help here.

So, I am PAID user of TeamViewer, and I would like some tech support. Is this un-friendly board really the only option?

EDIT:

Just now I added one HUGE post about possible security issue in my installation, and again, my post is gone! What I noticed is at first I forgot to choose LABEL on the right side, and I pressed POST button. I was unable to post, then after I selected LABEL, I was not able to post again, because of some timepout probably, so I waited a minut eor two...then post again, and it looks like pos is being posted OK.
    But un choosen board it is NOT VISIBLE, so like it vanished in thin air!

This looks like BOARD BUG.

EDIT 2:  I just posted above mentioned question 2nd time, retiped it all over again....and it's gone for 2nd time?!! I do not understand what's the logic of this post board here. How can I post a question? Only 1 question allowed or what?

EDIT 3: Looks like as soon as I post CODE block, my post is gone. I just wanted to add log file.

• Yuri_T
    Yuri_T Posts: 2,256 [Former Staff]

Hello @Labsy ,

Thank you for your post.

First of all, I would just like to clarify that no posts were removed by ourselves.
    If we do ever delete a post, we will always message the user advising them we have done so as per the community guidelines.
    Your posts were automatically moved to our SPAM quarantine due to the logfile inside the post. If this is done, the post will appear in your profile as "Pending Approval".

We try to check this once every few hours. I apologise for any confusion.

With regards to the TeamViewer connection, we do not have any features to be connected automatically by opening other apps, which means someone simply tried to connect your computer at that time.

For your safety, please make sure to change the TeamViewer password for incoming connections both for the random password and your password for unattended access so no one is able to connect to your computer.

How to change for the random password: 

If you would like to change the random password manually you can hover with the mouse over the password field and a circle-arrow appears. Click the arrow and choose Create new random password create new random password.png

How to change your password for unattended access:

The personal password is a password defined by you. If you enter a password, you will be able to use that password anytime in place of the randomly generated temporary password to access this computer (unattended access). 

Under Extras --> Options --> Security--> Under Personal password (for unattended access) --> Password --> Type in your password --> Confirm password  Repeat your chosen password to confirm it --> click OK

The password you are choosing will never be visible to you or anybody else. Instead of the password you will see black dots. 

You can remove the password by deleting the black dots. unattended.png

For the suspect connections, please have a look at this article and report what happened to you via this page if you need: Report a scam.

Thanks and stay safe,
    Yuri

Former Japanese Community Moderator
  • Labsy

Hi @Yuri_T ,

thank you for explanation and offered solution.

Regarding posts being moved to SPAM quarantine for manual approval, it is indeed very unclear what happens from user's perspective. There's no note or warning issued, so I do not know what happened. Moreover, my post is saved and after pressing POST button I see it as it was normally saved - so how can you know what happened?

Regarding "Awaiting Authentication" pop-up....well, thank you to clarify that it was actually really happening, someone tried to connect to my computer.

Now, can I read from LOGS who it was?
    Was it one of my client computers, which I can identify by ID and examine further?
    Why should I change password, if authentication was fail?

• Yuri_T
    Yuri_T Posts: 2,256 [Former Staff]

Hi @Labsy ,

Thank you for your feedback. I apologize for any inconvenience caused.

Please note that unless we send a private message to you, your posts are saved in the Spam quarantine. Moderators will always check and make sure if the posts are safe as per the community guidelines.

If you are not sure, please private message to moderators, so we will check your post from next time?

With regards to the password, the reason why I recommended to change your password is because no one is able to connect to your PC unless they know your TeamViewer ID and password correctly. if you give your TeamViewer ID and the password shown underneath your ID to a person, the person will be able to connect to your device. As soon as the random password changes the person cannot access your device any longer until you give the person the newly generated password. Additionally you have the possibility to restrict remote access to your device by using the Black and Whitelist feature in the TeamViewer full version and the TeamViewer Host. The suggestion is purely for your safety?

Unfortunately we do not provide the way to read a logfile, therefore if you have suspicious connections, please feel free to report it here so our dedicated team will assist you further. 

Thank you for your understanding in advance and I hope this will be helpful.

Kind regards,
    Yuri

Former Japanese Community Moderator