Teamviewer ID Changed after upgrade windows 10 2004 verion (May update)

Teamviewer ID Changed after upgrade windows 10 2004 verion (May update),  Wasted my Teamviewer bussiness subscription two device moves.  -_-

Tagged:

Comments

• Vatsilidis
    Vatsilidis Posts: 655 ⭐Star⭐

Hi @daniellee 

The ID's assigned based on the hardware and software configuration of each computer. If this happened to you after this new Windows update, it seems that the Windows reconfigured internally some critical application settings.

In any case, I think it is a good idea to contact the support team by phone or submit a ticket to help you out with that and be sure that they will do the best to resolve it.

Best regards

• Vatsilidis

Have you tried to connect the installation with your account by login in (sign in) with your account credentials?

The first screenshot is how my TeamViewer contacts list looks before and the second is how it looks after connecting.

Screenshot 2020-05-30 21.21.23.pngScreenshot 2020-05-30 21.23.59.png

• Curtg
    Curtg Posts: 10 ✭✭

Signed in already.

The one taht is marked as unknown is an upgraded 2004 version windows 10. no matter what i do, reinstall, delete contact regarnt easy access... no matter what it will break after a reboot and go into this unknown state, and become useless.

sdfssdf.png

• Vatsilidis

Hi @Curtg 

Do you mean that this contact with the unknown text at the end is a computer that has been updated in the last Windows update 2004 and is not working properly. If this is happening, then it is possible to confirm with the other side the ID that this specific computer has in your contacts list or if it has been changed?

Please remember that the Windows updates can be uninstalled from the control panel. At this moment that I'm writing that, I don't know if the changes that this new update has made in the system can be rollback after the uninstall of the update. We will be in touch about that.

Best regards

p.s.

Note that in my contacts the unknown device is a local LAN connection that is not updating the Windows, but marked as unknown because I was making some tests on it.

• Curtg

yes, the one with the unknown text is a computer that i upgraded to 2004. Shortly after the upgrade i noticed that im no longer able to use the WOL feature, which made me curious.

Luckily i had someone near the computer made them turn it on. After which i still saw the remote deivce as unknown and offline. So i vip in and RDP to the computer. TV seems to be working properly but in reality it is not. I try several things reinstalling TV deleting the contact and re-granting easy access. reconfiguring the whole thing...

After doing all that it functions until i restart then it goes back to this broken unknown state.

• Vatsilidis

@Curtg 

Ok, I understand.

If it is possible, could you uninstall the 2004 update from this remote computer that has this connection issues?

To uninstall Windows updates, you can see in this video tutorial all details.

I am really curious to see if it will roll back to normal condition and works like before.

Best regards

• Curtg

i will try rerolling the update. however this is not a solution for me as the computers i work with are a part of a hospital network and by contract im required to keep them the most up to date possible.

I will share my results once i can tell you more.

• Curtg

so i rerolled back to 1909 and it's instantly working as expected. Online in my contacts list no more unknown. I had to grant the easy access aagain however. But this time it sticks i can reboot turn off. WOL also works.

• Vatsilidis

@Curtg 

Thank you for the quick response and for the updates you provided. 

Sure this is not a solution, but I wanted to see the results in order to know what could happen in the case of uninstalling the update 2004 in a normal working environment and also to have a temporary solution to other users to that until this case and your feedback forwarded at Monday to the technical team. 

Thanks again and best regards

• bclark88
    bclark88 Posts: 11 ✭✭

Same issue here. So far about 20 machines have received the 2004 update and its broke roughly 30% of our machines from being linked. So I've been having to get the user give me their ID to manually connect, shutdown teamviewer and then push the host installer through PDQ again which makes the original computer in the list show back online and re-enrolls the account for easy access. Then I update this alias name to add a custom detail in the name. Seems to be hit or miss on if the update breaks it or not. Haven't narrowed it down by model or type yet.

• Curtg

for me mainly Optiplex 3060 and 3070 machines breaking

• bclark88

We are all HP's here and I just had a ProBook 650 G5 do it. The ID actually changed from the one in my contact list. When I use PDQ to push the installer for our host, it overwrites the contact entry in the list with the one. Updates it alias but leaves the description/comments field I had info in. So its obviously knowing its the same / previous one somewhere for TV to keep its info about it.

• Curtg

Actually my own personal build also did it, which is fairly new. (just discovered now)

ASUS x570-e strix
    Ryzen 3950X
    Corsair Dominator platinum 4X 16GB
    RTX 2070 Super

• Vatsilidis

@bclark88  & @Curtg 

Just a question: Did you confirmed manually to proceed the installation of the 2004 update or have been installed automatically on its own?

• Curtg

Prior to this warning that microsoft made earlier today there was just a simple option in the windows update which was to download 2004 update. I manually started rolling out the updates trying to get ahead of work. (Could have only done it manually as my AD policies disable the auto update shenanigans)

• bclark88

@Vatsilidis wrote:

@bclark88  & @Curtg 

Just a question: Did you confirmed manually to proceed the installation of the 2004 update or have been installed automatically on its own?

It is auto installing as normal windows 10 updates do. Windows 10 Pro. This is after it does the reboot to finish installing that it breaks TV. Had 4 more people call me today since getting this update over the weekend and when I go to remote in and help them with other issues I found that TV shows them offline.

• Vatsilidis

One more question please:

Have you noticed if these computers are: 

ALL securely logged in with a work or a Microsoft account,  

OR ALL working with a local account (not online account with email as username),  

OR are logged in without a password,

OR are mixed?

• bclark88

@Vatsilidis wrote:

One more question please:

Have you noticed if these computers are: 

ALL securely logged in with a work or a Microsoft account,  

OR ALL working with a local account (not online account with email as username),  

OR are logged in without a password,

OR are mixed?

@Vatsilidis All of mine are logging in with their local domain accounts. Even restarted a few times to see if it would trigger it to go back to the old ID or something. I'm having to re-deploy the MSI installer package I have setup with PDQ Deploy that has the reassign tags with the ID's and such.

• Curtg

all of mine are a part of an active directory, but the updates were ran on the highest privilige with admin accounts.

• But that's not the solution. So they have to do that the ID is written somewhere in the conf. file. I don't understand the whole thing when it just doesn't work and updates to Windows are just needed, just like a customer where I pay about 200,000 a year, so maybe they will release a package? they are already running out of business because re-extension for these problems is not very visible.

Then have 300 computers there. You want them to be current in the build, but you must manually rewrite the ID. Because it is the 21st century ..

• JeanK
    JeanK Posts: 6,973 Community Manager 🌍

Hello @iteprogrammers @daniellee @Curtg @bclark88 and @Vatsilidis,

Thanks a lot for your messages! ?

This is, unfortunately, expected behaviour of the TeamViewer ID.

As the TeamViewer ID is linked with the hard- and software of the device itself, a change of the hardware or a major update of the OS can lead to a TeamViewer ID change.

We will keep you posted as soon as we have more information regarding this.

Best,

Jean

Community Manager

• bclark88

Any update on this? So far it seems like a few desktops didn't get a new ID or break. But we mainly have laptops and they are all breaking. All are HP ProBook 650's and are G2, G3, G4 and G5 models.

• Yuri_T
    Yuri_T Posts: 2,256 [Former Staff]
    edited January 2021

Hi All,

Thank you for sharing your feedback in this thread.

In many of these cases, it appears that some hardware is not detectable by TeamViewer after the update and this causes the ID to switch as the software thinks it is on a different machine.
    However, in this case we have had many reports that a simple restart of the system will allow TeamViewer to detect all the hardware again bringing back your old ID.

Please let us know if this works for you as we value your feedback in the community!

Hope this information will be helpful and we will keep you updated.

Kind regards,
    Yuri

Former Japanese Community Moderator
  • bclark88

@Yuri_T A reboot does NOT resolve the issue. At least not with any of the HP ProBook 650 G2, G3, G5 series laptops. I have over 30 machines now that have received this update and every single one has had to have Teamviewer reinstalled. Yes I have most of them try rebooting as I was hoping that would initially fix it.

• Vatsilidis

Hi

I'm trying to figure out what could cause this strange behavior after this update. I tried to reproduce it, installed the update but the TV ID didn't change after reboot.

One detail in this update that seems strange to me, after reading this official related article, is that Microsoft rebuilds Cortana and tightened its security affecting third-party apps by this:

"Security: tightened access to Cortana so that you must be securely logged in with your work or school account or your Microsoft account before using Cortana. Because of this tightened access, some consumer skills including music, connected home, and third-party skills will no longer be available."

After that, I'd like to find out if someone of you guys could completely disable Cortana, restart the pc and look if this changed the ID to the previous one. I prefer to try this in a pc that didn't reinstall the TV app after the 2004 update if possible.

In order to do that you can find the steps in many articles on the web. I provide as a sample here this one. Please note is a different procedure for the Home version than the Pro or Enterprise one.

Waiting for updates if this makes the change.

• Yuri_T

Hi @bclark88 ,

Thank you for your feedback.

I have talked to our support team regarding your case and they would like to know more information to investigate. 

Since you have a TeamViewer license, I have sent a support ticket. Please read an instruction and reply to the ticket.

What we need in the support ticket:

1. Old TeamViewer ID
    2. New TeamViewer ID
    3. logfile

I will make sure that our technical support team will get back to you as soon as you reply.

Thank you for your understanding and I apologize for any inconvenience caused.

Kind regards,
    Yuri

• bclark88

@Vatsilidis I can try the cortona thing on the next one I get.

@Yuri_T Also for the support ticket opened for me, I updated it with some info but I don't have old/new ID's for any of the machines previously broken. I could get you log files though for some if that still helps.

• Vatsilidis

@bclark88 

Until the coming of the next one, could you at least try it with one of the current (TV-reinstalled) computers?

Thank you in advance

• Yuri_T

Hi @bclark88 ,

Thank you for attaching a logfile in the support ticket.

I confirmed that our technical support team has investigated the case and they will back to you via the support ticket.

Thank you for your patience and your understanding ?

Kind regards,
    Yuri