Teamviewer Server with Headless Server

I have a headless server running Windows Server 2008 R2. After searching through the internet, I know that Teamviewer won't work on a headless computer. One solution to make Teamviewer works on headless computer is using a dummy VGA adapter. However with the same adapter and same settings, Teamviewer works on a headless Windows 7 PC but failed on the headless Server 2008 R2.
Please advise is there any difference on the setting in Server 2008 R2?

Comments

• jpenzien
    jpenzien Posts: 1

This is for when you are trying to dial into a remotely located system that does not have a monitor connected or turned on, and some programs are NOT showing up in your Teamviewer connection. This is not an issue with Teamviewer or any other remote connection program. This has to deal with the host system's graphic card. If there is no monitor connected, the GPU essentially decides it doesn't have to actually do anything, so for many programs, it will not render any visuals, although the program itself IS actually running perfectly fine. If you plug a monitor in, your GPU will then render everything and it seems fine to unplug the monitor. However, at that point, your GPU stops doing anything, so minimizing a program will cause the program to go away and 'never return,' leaving you wondering why it's not working though it was working when you checked it and then pull out your hair.  

Here's how to get around it. If you don't want a monitor attached to your host computer, or don't have room (as was may case), get a Dummy Plug. I got one of these. Dummy plugs can come in VGA, mine just happened to need HDMI. Once I plugged this in to the monitor connection on my remote computer, Teamviewer properly displayed every program as it should. 

HDMI dummy plug - $10 from amazonHDMI dummy plug - $10 from amazon

Hope this helps. This could have saved me a LOT of time, trouble, and hair.

• hanizo
    hanizo Posts: 1

Is there a solution for this? Kind of defeats the purpose of this teamviewer if you cant even access a remote computer not connected to a monitor. 

• Bazsl
    Bazsl Posts: 10 ✭✭

I want to connect to a headless PC across my LAN using TV. The problem is that there is no way to get the password from the machine I am connecting to. Is there solution? Thanks.

• IvanT
    IvanT Posts: 8

Try to set a defined password to get access with this password instead of generated one. To define the password go Extras->Options->Security. Type your password and confirm. Might this help.

• InnovateInc
    InnovateInc Posts: 3 ✭✭

How do I get Teamviewer to work on a headless Windows 10 machine?  It works with a monitor plugged in, but won't work without.  Is there a virtual monitor that can be installed to get this working?

• JeanK
    JeanK Posts: 6,973 Community Manager 🌍

Hello @InnovateInc,

Thank you for your message.

You will find all the information you need in our Knowledge Base article here: How do I use TeamViewer on headless systems? 

Cheers,

Jean

Community Manager

• InnovateInc
    InnovateInc Posts: 3 ✭✭

The response that says to check the Knowledge Base is not an acceptable answer.  It doesn't answer the question.  All the Knowledge Base article says is that a monitor needs to be plugged in.

• Bazsl

How can I connect to a headless PC via LAN when I have no way to find the password displayed on the remote computer? Is there someway to assign a permanent password for LAN connections? Thanks.

• Bazsl

Ignore my question. I found the answer.

• Someguy123
    Someguy123 Posts: 8 ✭✭

Hello all!

I currently have an HDMI dummy plug into my tower & when I remote in via teamviewer the connection is very slow and often completely freezes. I'm using the suggested optimal resolution and i've tried adjusting all view settings to optimize, but nothing works. When it try logging in via my cellphone the connection is very smooth. It only seems to be very laggy when I remote in from my other computer. 

Any suggestions on how to improve this?

• Vatsilidis
    Vatsilidis Posts: 655 ⭐Star⭐

Hi @Someguy123 

Thanks for post this issue, it may help other people facing the same or similar issue to you in the future as the dummy plug monitor it becomes day to day even more famous.

I believe that the main reason for this issue is the fact that the dummy plug fitted on your computer it fools the computer and thinking that a high-resolution monitor is has been attached on it, and as result is a tying to unleash and transfer its full graphical potential to the computer you are seating front.

The mobile phone has probably a smaller resolution and auto-scaling may occur.

Please give it a try in this direction and see if works. 

Best regards

• Vatsilidis

Hi

As a continue to the previous reply, at first, I would suggest you ta take a look at this post about headless systems graphics and possible issues.

Second, there are several settings about the graphics during a connection.

One other factor is if the software driver of the graphic card to the remote pc is installed properly. I mean that it must be from the vendor of the graphic card for a discrete card or from the vendor of the motherboard for onboard cards. In any case, it shouldn't be the driver of the operating system and there are case things get complicated in a system with two graphic cards at the same time, like a laptop with an onboard and dedicated card. Many of these times are using both graphic cards in parallel or simultaneously. You could try to disable in that case the dedicated graphic card and work with the onboard one. But of course, it may exist other factors causing a delay in graphics.

Thank you and I hope some of these details to give you a solution

Best regards

• Someguy123

Right now I have an HDMI dummy plug in my headless machine. Both have 32g ram and plenty of power on both ends. 

Both machines i'm using have NVIDIA Geforce graphics cards installed properly and only 1 card.

My connection will run smoothly for 1-5 minutes and then all of a sudden i'll experience extreme lag. Often if I try to move around or open other windows/applications. Lag and eventual freezing will occur for a short  period. Then the connection will pick back up and work again for a little bit. I can't ever seem to establish a smooth connection for extended periods of time.

I don't know what else I can do to fix this.

• Vatsilidis

Hi 

Could you go to the task manager and monitor the usage of the disk drive, the CPU, the RAM, and the Network?

It could be something in 100% of workload or space load for RAM and causing this big delay to all other processes. Note that you can have many windows open of the task manager at the same time, in order to monitor all these 4 critical areas. 

Leave it open at the beginning of the connection and look at what is happening.

Best regards

• Someguy123

CPU around 6-10% (max 15%) Memory 15% steady, Disk 1% and network 0%

Still experiening latency in response time with very little windows/applications open. At times it's better than others but it's up and down. When I do have something that has active graphics such as a stream or video, teamviewer will skyrocket to 40-50% CPU.  

• Vatsilidis

ok..

Could you please upload some screenshots of both ends graphics menu settings?

Please make sure to hide ID and password.

• Vatsilidis

Also, please I'd like to know some details about the dummy monitor plug.

Thank you

• Someguy123

Where can I find this on teamviewer?

• Vatsilidis

It is on the top toolbar when connecting. You can take a fast search to menus. It is in a very easy-reading way structured.

• Someguy123

I'm a bit lost - is it under connection, extras, help or feedback? or is it under when you're actually in a session?

• Vatsilidis

Please take a look at some screenshots in this post and you will understand.

Also, try to adjust the screen resolution. You will see how to do this on the screenshots again.

One picture equals a thousand words they say. Imagine decades of pictures what they can do!!!

• Someguy123

Annotation 2020-03-13 205455.png

Are these the settings you are looking for?

• Someguy123

Here is a picture on the remote machine. 

Annotation 2020-03-13 205804.png

• Vatsilidis

Wow, it seems to be a high resolution there!

Could you please decrease it around in half and see the results of the performance?

• Someguy123

Right now it seems to be working a little bit better on the optimal setting. I did find a driver that I was able to update for NIVIDA video card. I'm wondering if that is helping some. 

I just want to be able to find consistant performance so I can rely on the same performance at all times.

• Vatsilidis

well done @Someguy123 .

You almost got it working smoothly. One more setting that will help you, is to adjust the color to be NOT in true color but one step down to high color.

I'm happy for finding the root of the cause.

Please try to adjust a little more further these settings (probably decrease a bit the screen resolution) and you will be experiencing perfect remote connection!

One other detail that may help is to update all important system drivers to have it in perfect working order. I'm referring just as an example one of them is the Drivermax.

Also, please have in mind that this is a new upcoming issue since the HDMI dummy plug is a new smart idea, and I believe in the future will exist other people with similar issues to yours. This post will help them to find the solution very fast.

Thank you for listening and trusted me on these steps and best regards.

See you

• markemark2
    markemark2 Posts: 8 ✭✭

https://community.teamviewer.com/t5/Knowledge-Base-EN/How-do-I-use-TeamViewer-on-headless-systems/ta-p/4256

this article doesn't actually tell you how to use teamviewer on a headless system - it ONLY tells you why it doesn't work - USELESS

• Iconoclast
    Iconoclast Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited March 2022

I asked this question so that I can answer it so that others can easily find the solution without having the read the entire thread of discussion on why this happens which doesn't offer any free solutions. Both replies marked "answers" on that previous post are not correct. The other replies in that other thread explain WHY it happens, but only one solution is offered which is to purchase a dummy display emulator which plugs into a USB port.

According to the information in that thread, it happens because Windows 10 can't figure out the resolution to display without a monitor attached. None of the other computers on my home network which I've run headless ever had this problem, so I'm not sure why this machine does, but it does and I needed a solution.

• Iconoclast
    Iconoclast Posts: 3 ✭✭
    Answer ✓

The solution without having to purchase anything and take up a USB port is to use a software virtual monitor emulator. Some of them do not offer high resolutions, so they are not all created equal, so I would recommend the free software called Amyuni USB Mobile Monitor that I found which took seconds to enable, then I was able to change the resolution in Windows Display settings, and the Teamviewer problem of showing 640 x 480 resolution was fixed. The post by the author of the software is here and has instructions, explains everything, and has the link to download it.

It is so simple, fast, free, and it works! I hope this helps someone else not have to do the hours of research that I had to do.

-Iconoclast