Teamviewer Sound issues - Used to work fine, now horrendously muffled / very low quality

I often connect to my Windows 10 Pro PC at home whilst at work and it used to work entirely fine. I would load up TeamViewer, log in, and then be able to use my PC at home to remotely do pretty much anything I wanted to; I could maintain my Plex server, I could watch videos or listen to music, I could video edit in Premiere Pro, I could even play Civ V and everything worked exactly fine as though I was in front of my computer at home. It all looked and more importantly sounded exactly like it should do if I was at home.

It should maybe be noted that when I would connect to my home PC, I would lose the ability to hear sounds from the local machine I was sat in front of, the only sounds I would hear would be of my PC at home.

But something has changed for the worse and for the life of me I can not figure out the problem.

Visually everything is still fine, but the audio sounds horrendous.

I do everything exactly the same, log in to TeamViewer and do all the same tasks but the sound now is... hard to describe. It's kind of muffled, low quality, distorted. It does not sound like it used to or like it should. It's like I've gone from CD quality audio to an old casette tape you find at a thrift store that's clearly seen better days.

I can no longer listen to music, watch a video, do any video editting or play a game on my remote PC due to how bad the audio is. Interestingly, I am now able to hear any and all sounds from the local PC even whilst connecting to my home PC whereas before the only way to hear them would have been to disconnect from my Teamviewer session. I don't particularly care for this though, I'd much rather lose that ability and be able to listen to my home PC just as I could before.

I've tried all the fixes I can think of and all the fixes I can find searching Google / Reddit / TeamViewer forums but nothing I can do seems to resolve this issue for me. A few of the main examples of things I've tried are:
  • TeamViewer at home is set to automatically keep up to date to the latest version and is on v15.9.4
  • TeamViewer_Setup.exe that is saved on my local network share at work (in which I have always used the one-time run option) was an earlier v15.x.x but I've deleted it and replaced it with the latest version, but still did not fix the issue.
  • Instead of using Partner ID and Connect, I have tried signing in to my full TeamViewer account.
  • I have checked the "Play computer sounds and music" option under TeamViewer options > Remote Control > Remote Control defaults on both my local and home PCs.
  • I have checked and changed all the Audio Conferencing settings on both the local and home PC, trying all of the options for audio devices used and whether it was doing a phone call or VOIP. For what it's worth, it's currently set to VOIP on both devices.
  • I have used many different PCs at work. I have been through their audio settings. I have tried using headphones or using the speakers in-built into the computer or monitor.
  • I have tried connecting to my home PC using the Teamviewer app on my phone, which again used to work perfectly fine, but now has this horrendous audio problem too. This alone suggests to me that this is a problem with either Teamviewer on my home PC or something else wrong with my home PC but nothing has recently changed, I have checked all of the usual drivers and settings, and I have not noticed any other problems when normally using my home PC.
I'm really at a loss what else I can do here. My research does appear to show that I'm not the first person to have audio problems with TeamViewer. But has anybody got any other advice or fixes that I can try to get this all working as it once did?

Best Answer

Answers