Teamviewer's Toolbar Conflicts with VMWare Workstation Toolbar

Hi folks,

Not sure if anyone had encountered this yet. This has been bugging me. I found out that the Toolbar in VMWare Workstation actually conflicts with the toolbar for Teamviewer.

So I have both VMWare Workstation (v15.5.1) and Teamviewer (v15.3) installed. For VMWare Workstation, these are the toolbar settings I have:

pastedImage_1.png

I put the toolbar in VMWare Workstation to auto-hide:

pastedImage_2.png

but the edge of the toolbar will still show (based on the setting above) when I run a VM in full screen.

Then I run Teamviewer and connected to another computer. On this Teamviewer window, I "minimized" the toolbar which looks like this:

pastedImage_3.png

imageNow when I switch to the VMWare Workstation and when my mouse point to the edge of the toolbar, the toolbar does not drop down like it should.

However, when I  "maximize" the toolbar in Teamviewer window like this:

pastedImage_4.png

the toolbar in VMWare Workstation returns to its normal behavior by dropping down when the mouse pointer points to the edge.

So this proves that there the toolbar in both VMWare Workstation and Teamviewer are conflicting. Anyone able to advise on this bug please?

Thanks!

Tagged:

Comments

• Vatsilidis
    Vatsilidis Posts: 655 ⭐Star⭐

Hi @Digistras 

I think the fast but good solution to you is to hide the toolbar of VMware in full screen and after that to set the edge of the toolbar to not be visible.

To do this, you can go to the menu Edit > Preferences > Display and untick the option "Show toolbar edge when unpinned in full screen".

I hope this helps

Best regards

• Hi @Vatsilidis ,

Unfrotunately that would not be an option for me as I need to frequently switch between VMs. Thanks for the suggestion nevertheless.

I guess this is a "bug" that either side needs to solve...

• Vatsilidis

Ok, I understand.

Have you searched if exist some keyboard shortcut or other way for changing the VM's, instead of the toolbar?

Best regards

• There is but the keyboard shortcut is actually cycling through all tabs of open VMs rather than going straight to one I want at that time.

That means if I have 5 VMs open and I'm in the first one now. If I want to get to the 5th VM, I'll have to do the keyboard 3 times just to get there.

Kindof annoying...

• Vatsilidis

Usually the Swift key together with the shortcut it helps during the scroll between screens to moving in opposite direction. With that you can go from screen 1 to screen 5 very quick.
    Maybe is not the way that most of the people has used to do, but for sure the keyboard stroking has been proved much more quick way of interacting with the most of the cases in computers and result has been taken after many years of researches. 

Best regards

• I agree with you that in some cases using keyboard is sometimes faster. However, I'll have to disagree with you in this use case. 

It doesn't makes sense that I have to revert back to using keyboard when I can actually use the mouse. That would defeat the purpose of the invention from Douglas Engelbart.

This bug should definitely be resolved by Teamviewer in any case because its toolbar is blocking VMWare's toolbar from functioning properly.

• Vatsilidis

Hi

I also agree with you to the part of the mouse is a very useful device and in many cases is the most preferred and easy way of usage. If you like to use the mouse more than the keyboard is for sure a matter of personal interest and opinion and all personal opinions are always respected.

Personally I don't see it as a back reverse of usage for many reasons, but as I say It depends on each person's personal opinion and for sure in any way it doesn't defeat the purpose of the invention from Douglas Engelbart. I believe that we will never leave the mouse away from our lives!

I can't say that this is a bug of Teamviewer app or of VMWare app since both apps working very well, so It is like you are asking from a company to change something just because some other company put their toolbar in the same position. With this way of thinking, someone could ask the same from VMWare! 

Anyway, the important to me, is that at the beginning where no solution existed, and now we speak for a working solution. Ok, maybe it is not the best in time-saving and less effort for you, but for sure it is a solution. Maybe in the future, this will be examined and in some update will be added some features like a floating toolbar. Personally, I can put it as an idea for some of the next product updates and we will see what will happen!

I hope you enjoined our conversation and wish you the best!

• Vatsilidis

One last detail please, I assume that you have hidden in fullscreen the Teamviewer toolbar by pressing the arrow to the down-right corner.

Best regards