Warning - Windows 10 v2004 Spring Creators Update

G-Man
G-Man Posts: 6 ✭✭
edited March 2022 in General questions

Heads Up! Do not try to do the new Windows 10 Spring Creators Update v2004 on a machine remotely using TeamViewer. After the update, it changes the Teamviewer ID and you will not be able to connect. I have confirmed this on 5+ machines so far. Some, reverted back to the old TV ID after a reboot, but unless you or someone are physically there, you will no longer have contact to the machine.

This really **bleep** on some locations that are not manned. I will ahve to drive all over the place to do this.

Best Answer

Answers

• JeanK
    JeanK Posts: 6,973 Community Manager 🌍

Hello @G-Man,

It's good to see you again. ?‍♂️

Thank you for bringing up this topic. ?

This is, unfortunately, expected behaviour of the TeamViewer ID.

As the TeamViewer ID is linked with the hard- and software of the device itself, a change of the hardware or a major update of the OS can lead to a TeamViewer ID change.

We will keep you posted as soon as we have more information regarding this.

Best,

Jean

Community Manager

• VRG
    VRG Posts: 2 ✭✭

Hi,

I don´t understand why Teamwiewer don´t make a massive advise about this issue.

You say "As the TeamViewer ID is linked with the hard- and software of the device itself, a change of the hardware or a major update of the OS can lead to a TeamViewer ID change." but i have to say that , at least since i installed w10, it has never happened, and i have installed all the major updates.

In actual times, with COVD-19 situation and everyone working at home, this issue has been very problematic, at least for me, because i had 3 pcs working in the office and after update i can´t access them and i don´t know when i´ll be able to go to the office.

• VRG
    VRG Posts: 2 ✭✭

Hi,

This is what i was talking about.

Maybe a massive email to every user could be an option to consider, thinking about the big problem this issue can cause to customers.

thank u very much for your attention and fast answer.

best regards

• BMPTRANS1
    BMPTRANS1 Posts: 3 ✭✭

We also faced this problem so far on all PCs that were upgraded to Windows 10 2004. 
    Not only the ID changes but the login information gets lost, so that the TeamViewer client is in a unlogged state. As another forum user pointed out, this is very annoying especially in these COVID times where a lot of people are working remotely using TV.
    In all those cases it required connecting using the new ID instead of the existing contact, logging in again to the company account and also logging in to the administration panel in order to create a new computer item (as the ID cannot unfortunately not be changed).
    Very cumbersome if one has a lot of devices!!

• CPMcKenzie
    CPMcKenzie Posts: 3 ✭✭

First of all thank you all so much for highlighting this issue which allowed us to plan a recent roll out of v2004 with contingencies. However I wanted to report our findings. 

What was strange for us was that some of the domain connected computers did come back with the same credentials and were seen in the control panel. By some I mean three out of 54. All the others needed to be reconnected to the Teamviewer control panel and the previous duplicate name deleted. 

However, we also upgraded a number of non domain computers (not connected to the domain controllers) as well. These were stand alone computers which were used for telephone system monitoring and the like. ALL of these non domain computers came back with no issues. None needed a new ID or needed to be recreated in the control panel. 

I am an old fashioned IT guy and do not like mysteries. What gives with the three domain computers that came back on and why did all the non domain computers come back on. It would seem to deny Teamviewer's statement. 

Hope that knowing that all our non domain connected computers came back helps someone. But please do test it yourself on one PC first. It might have been a wierd co-incidence. 

• CPMcKenzie

First of all thank you all so much for highlighting this issue which allowed us to plan a recent roll out of v2004 with contingencies. However I wanted to report our findings. 

What was strange for us was that some of the domain connected computers did come back with the same credentials and were seen in the control panel. By some I mean three out of 54. All the others needed to be reconnected to the Teamviewer control panel and the previous duplicate name deleted. 

However, we also upgraded a number of non domain computers (not connected to the domain controllers) as well. These were stand alone computers which were used for telephone system monitoring and the like. ALL of these non domain computers came back with no issues. None needed a new ID or needed to be recreated in the control panel. 

I am an old fashioned IT guy and do not like mysteries. What gives with the three domain computers that came back on and why did all the non domain computers come back on. It would seem to deny Teamviewer's statement. 

Hope that knowing that all our non domain connected computers came back helps someone. But please do test this yourself first. It might have been a wierd coincidence.

• I am sorry to say that I am using Version 15.8.3 of Teamviewer, same problem still exists...

I updated to Windows 10 v2004, i cannot connect ALL of my previously connected computer.  Also, the computer which I remotely upgraded cannot be access as well...  Please URGENTLY HELP!!!!  Thanks...

Phil

• Not solved!  Same problem still exists. I am using Teamviewer V15.8.3.  Once i have updated my windows 10 to v2004, all previously connected computers cannot be connected again... so worrying!!!  Please help...

Phil

• CPMcKenzie

Hi Phil

I don't think anyone said it was solved! However if I understand you, your own machine used to be able to control other computers but now cannot after it was updated to v2004

My version of Teamviewer allows three computers to be nominated as control computers but only one can be used at a time. It would appear that your computer has changed its Teamviewer ID and is no longer authorised to do the management. If you already have three nominated computers then it cannot recreate yours (with its new ID) as a management one. 

Go into the web on https://www.teamviewer.com/en/ and login in. See what you can see. However I must also say that teamviewer seems a bit flaky this Sunday morning and it took me three goes to login. 

If the computers are there the answer would be to re-authorise your "new" one.  However, as I said Teamviewer are obviously doing something this morning and I would not necessarily do anything in haste.

Hope this helps

Colin

• This is very strange though. I have successfully upgraded around 10 PC's from 1909 to 2004 remotely, as in continents away, with no issue at all. However, when I did my own PC at work, I got this issue! Seems like I lost my unattended access, the TW ID is still the same.

Will there be a fix??

• @CPMcKenzie wrote:

Hi Phil

I don't think anyone said it was solved! However if I understand you, your own machine used to be able to control other computers but now cannot after it was updated to v2004

My version of Teamviewer allows three computers to be nominated as control computers but only one can be used at a time. It would appear that your computer has changed its Teamviewer ID and is no longer authorised to do the management. If you already have three nominated computers then it cannot recreate yours (with its new ID) as a management one. 

Go into the web on https://www.teamviewer.com/en/ and login in. See what you can see. However I must also say that teamviewer seems a bit flaky this Sunday morning and it took me three goes to login. 

If the computers are there the answer would be to re-authorise your "new" one.  However, as I said Teamviewer are obviously doing something this morning and I would not necessarily do anything in haste.

Hope this helps

Colin

Hi Colin,

They did say it was a fix! Or to quote them, "to avoid this issue"

"Note: a few users have experienced a change of their TeamViewer ID after updating to Windows 10 v2004 (May 2020 Update). We recommend installing TeamViewer 15.7.7 or higher, before updating to Windows 10 v2004, to avoid this."