Why does it show a different IP address when I connect via LAN (not exclusively)?

Hello,

I was wondering why a different IP address shows up when I connect to one of my own computers (by typing in its own internal IP address in the ID field) on the same network and does not show my internal IP address? Is Teamviewer somehow routing my connection to a Teamviewer server and then to my other computer on the LAN? It shows my PC name instead of my account but not sure why the strange IP address. My internal IP address starts as 192.168... but the IP address that shows up is 169.254.50... etc. 

teamviewer-strange-ip.png

Thanks in advance.

Best Answer

Answers

• Did a little bit more digging and I guess the way it is setup is that Teamviewer just assigns some IP as another name for the computer connecting but it is still operating on the local network? So the naming is a bit irrelevant when it comes to if connection is external or internal. Used some software to monitor the connection and I did see some connections being made to Teamviewer's servers but most of the data was being transmitted locally. I guess as long as the actual remote desktop connection data is being transmitted locally, I am fine with that. 

• Thanks. Somehow I did not realize that the IP addresses listed by Teamviewer were all the IP addresses from all of the network adapters on my computer and thought it was something else. 

I will say it is a bit weird that if I am connecting to another computer on the network, it seems to choose the first IP address in the list of IP addresses rather than the IP address that is associated with the network adapter that I am actively using for the Teamviewer connection.

For example, if I have a IP address for an ethernet adapter and also an IP address for a WiFi adapter, it chooses the IP address for the ethernet next to my display name even though I am only connecting through WiFi.

Anyway, my original question is now resolved. Thank you!