potential hack

I recently downloaded team viewer to help my out of town elderly mother.  I was just on my laptop and got a message that she was signed on team viewer. I called her and she was no where near her computer. Is she being hacked?

Comments

• Esther
    Esther Posts: 4,052 Former Community Manager

Hi @Scotty01 

Thanks for your message.

I would say: Most likely not as such a message is pretty common and only indicates that TeamViewer went online. But let´s check:

I assume you saved her TeamViewer ID in your Computers & Contacts list and you got the notification that her device came online, right?

Or did you create a TeamViewer Account for your mother with your mothers' email address and saved this one in your Computers & Contacts list?

If it was the first, then you only got the notification that the TeamViewer application went online and thus connected to our Master Server. This is first of all nothing to worry about.

Let´s check a few things before getting too worried:

• Did you install TeamViewer with a permanent password for unattended access or even Easy Access? (more information)
    • And so is it possible that the device booted?
    • Or is it possible that the device lost internet connection and re-connected?
    • Or is it possible that someone else started her computer (=device)?

If you did not save her TeamViewer ID but her TeamViewer account (=email address) in your Computers & Contacts list. Basically the same questions:

• Did you install TeamViewer with a permanent password for unattended access so that it starts with the system?
    • Is it possible that the device booted?
    • Is it possible that the device lost internet connection and re-connected?
    • Did you tick the box "Keep me signed in" when logging in with HER account?

If someone made something illegal, it is most likely that her computer has been stolen and someone booted it which results in TeamViewer going online.

But: Here a few more questions to be on the safe side:

• Did you share her TeamViewer ID and the password with someone else?
    • Did you share the details for her account (email address and password) with someone else?
    • Did your mother give any of the above information to someone else?

I hope this reply helps you.

Best, Esther

Former Community Manager