(unknown) status on the computer list

2»

Comments

• TV_bkk
    TV_bkk Posts: 2

support replied back to me saying was mentioned here before. the (unknown) machines changed their ID and have to be re-Added. i sent an mail to the owners of those laptops asking them to open teamviewer and send a screenshot back.

however i also have machines on distant locations affected where no one has access so its a bit of a bummer.

• They know the old ID's (9 digits), so it would not have been a very hard SQL script to write to update the old ID's with the new-ones, or to add a field allowing both the old an the new ID's for the same device.

At least a mailing should have been done one ore two months ago allowing users to plan the modification.

For 1500 € a year I expect some better support.

• AEVITAS
    AEVITAS Posts: 1

That's crazy! I thought it was inconvenient and annoying when the number would "randomly" change on some machines. This is not a free product... Now I will just wait for them to contact me one more time about further purchasing... 

• Kiff
    Kiff Posts: 4 ✭✭

Same issue here. 400+ hosts, the majority of them at remote locations, all have new IDs. Opened a ticket with support and their response was basically: "Thanks for the message, we had a problem but everything is working normal now. Let us know if you have any further questions." They've ignored my "further questions" so far.

Teamviewer support doesn't seem to want to help us so we'll be loading a different solution going forward. I was SO close to getting my manager to spring for upgraded licensing and then this happens.

Thanks Teamviewer, as if we weren't busy enough already.

• Kiff

Update from Support, finally/unfortunately: We have no choice but to get the new ID from each host, manually create a new contact using the new ID, and then delete the old contact. Our list didn't update like they said it would and they stated they had no way to reinstate the old IDs. They had good intentions but **bleep** did they **bleep** us over.

• macaid
    macaid Posts: 6

How unprofessional of them. Teamviewer have not said a word of apologies or sent any emails highlighting this specific issue. I got a little excited when finally an email came into my inbox this morning from Teamviewer, before opening it i thought to myself at last Teamviewer have sent emails to all affected user with an apology and to explain how this happened and how they were going to fix the problem...Unfortunately it was one of their bleeping newsletters. Honestly the arrogance of this company knows no bounds.  Zero communication with its member except for a few pointless tweets ( very Lazy way to inform members, providing you use twitter in the first place ) I will not be reviewing my subscription which is coming up very shortly

• dlengyel
    dlengyel Posts: 3
    As of 4 hours ago, my list of computers is now back to normal. No Unknown shown. Was able to login to most of the active computers...except one. Will have that client reboot his system. MAYBE this has been resolved...HOPEFULLY.
  • As of this morning (0730 BST) all my remaining 'unknowns' have reverted to normal.

However, as Teamviewer are running scheduled maintenance at the moment (0800-1200 CEST) I shall suspend judgement on a full resolution until that's finished.
  • Just tested and all mine are still UKNOWN and Connection could not be established !

Seems some people are lucky !!

So why would you re-set ID's, unless you had a data breach. 

Shame really as it was a good product...but this to me is a critical failure especially give the lack of feed back so am changing software

• macaid
    macaid Posts: 6

@AnotherProblem wrote:

Just tested and all mine are still UKNOWN and Connection could not be established !

Seems some people are lucky !!

So why would you re-set ID's, unless you had a data breach. 

Shame really as it was a good product...but this to me is a critical failure especially give the lack of feed back so am changing software

I'm interested do you have an alternative product or recommendation 

• Currently installing this on the remote computers

[Removed by moderator per Community Guidelines - #9 Sales/Solicitation policy]

more out of spite at the way TV treated me....

• Ooooo a reponse from TV

----/----

Thank you for your message.

Based on global cooperation against malicious cyber activities, TeamViewer’s team and leading security researchers perform regular threat prevention analysis to identify inconsistent or suspicious behaviour within and beyond its network. In this context, in-depth data analysis revealed patterns of connection attempts that deviated from expected usage scenarios of TeamViewer. As this observation was limited to a small subgroup of endpoints, TeamViewer decided to invalidate and automatically reassign unique identifiers (TeamViewer IDs) within this subgroup. In the vast majority of cases, users will not take notice or experience any inconvenience from the precautionary measure.

Official statement: https://status.teamviewer.com/

Under certain situations we are unable to apply the ID reassignment in a transparent way. The corresponding devices may have experienced an ID change.

Therefore, please update your corresponding list entries to reflect the new ID of the device.

In some cases, a reboot of the target machine is required, as well as a new login into your account.

If you have any further questions about TeamViewer, please feel free to contact us again.

Best regards,

Kirill Balabaev
    Support Engineer

• Hoser
    Hoser Posts: 6

I have something like 37 contacts and this always happen on the latest one I have added. Must be a bug.

• Hoser
    Hoser Posts: 6
    This just happened again with another new contact I added. Considering it is the two latest contacts that were added on I have to assume it has to do with a bug in the latest version. I hope support reads these posts and fixes the issue.
  • I also have same issue. I recently add three devices (MacBook Air, iPad and iPhone) few days ago. When I see those devices online, "(unknown)" tag dissapears at the end of those devices' alias. When they are offline, the tag will come again at the end of those devices' alias again. Really annoying!!

This never happened before...

• Kiff
    This is an old thread about when Teamviewer **bleep** some of us over by removing all of our IDs, with no warning, forcing us to retrieve all the new IDs from remote sites. Still fixing this!

It has nothing to do with the occasional contact showing unknown. I recommend opening a support ticket or starting a new post.
  • nss
    nss Posts: 3 ✭✭

Hundreds of remote clients were just lost with our Teamviewer 10 perpetual license which is a serious problem for us as, I guess until now, Teamviewer was our only remote management platform.

We're growing as a managed service provider and need alternative solutions, with bugs like this it's pretty much certain that we won't be subscribing to Teamviewer as there's no way we're going to reauthorize all of these systems. The email 'trust' rule they came up with a few years back is a huge pain in the **bleep** and now this...

I'll call for support in a bit but if they say we have to redeploy Teamviewer and 'authorize' via email hundreds of PCs they're out to lunch.

• We are using ver 9 and have just lost approximately 60 computers in the same way.

• nss
    nss Posts: 3 ✭✭
    It turns out this is a glitch and they're working on it, the customer support was actually pretty good. They followed up with an email:

"Thank you very much for contacting TeamViewer.

This is unfortunately a known issue and developers are aware.

Your ticket has been escalated and we will contact you as soon as we receive further information from our development team. "
  • pr0xyguy
    pr0xyguy Posts: 8 ✭✭

Same issue here.

I've been using TV for a long time, since v8, and I've dealt with their support a few times - they are indeed out-to-lunch. They are clueless, and or indifferent about what their customers actually do (remote tech support), and do not care if we are inconveninced. Deal with it seems to be their attitude. Especially in the beginning when they had no competition. 

I will say one thing though, TV was by far the best remote support tool in the world at that time. That's why we paid their rediculous prices. However, thank goodness, we now have other options, and I'm seriously considering them, having already tested a few. Just give me good reason TV.

• Mine are all back up....Hopefully this is fixed.

Cheers

• pr0xyguy
    pr0xyguy Posts: 8 ✭✭

Me too, thanks guys!

• Issues still occurring across multiple devices. Have uninstalled and reinstalled teamviewer but the issue still persists. When you have hundreds of devices and trust wavers, this is a major issue