After upgrading TeamViewer on Mac to version 12.0.78517 from earlier 12.x, sound turns way down

Answers

• Jakob
    Jakob Posts: 2

I never posted back, apologies for that, but the method described by @SkyLukeQc, i.e. fully uninstalling TeamViewer through the Preferences Menu, then reinstalling using the installer posted by @Julia, also did the trick for me.

• SkyLukeQc
    SkyLukeQc Posts: 47

Thanks for the update, @Jakob !

Glad you've found this thread and that the proposed workaround, which remains valid until a definite fix / new version of TW becomes available, has helped you overcome the issue.

Have a good day !

Regards,

SkyLukeQc

• life
    life Posts: 4

I tried the Julia link to the previous version but it's not there anymore.

• TerryG
    TerryG Posts: 1

Yes, please release a patch or repost the Julia link.

• SkyLukeQc

Hi @Julia,

Some users reported that the link you provided earlier in this thread to download the previous version of TeamViewer for Mac (https://teamviewer.app.box.com/s/dxepzexznsihyteax42n74xuc9puwmn5) doesn't seem to work any longer.  Indeed, when I tried to access the link myslf a few seconds ago, here's the message I received :2017-07-08_01-25-14.png

Maybe the Box link expired, or the file has been removed / unshared by mistake, I'm not sure.

Could you look into it and provide us a new link to build 12.0.75813 while we wait for a post-12.0.78517 build in which the reported "audio ducking" issue is fixed ?

Thank you very much in advance !

Kind regards,

SkyLukeQc

• Zen
    Zen Posts: 3

Hi,

I found another link here: http://teamviewer.fr.uptodown.com/mac/telecharger/1510547

as Teamviewer is not able to share the old running version anymore..

I'm really disappointed with the teamviewer "no" reaction on this post touching MAC and Windows version.

There is really no official reaction on the entire subject relating a BUG on the official Teamviewer community page, perhaps nobody from Teamviewer is at all reading this forum !!!

• SkyLukeQc

Hi @Zen (a.k.a. Dom),

[...] There is really no official reaction on the entire subject relating a BUG on the official Teamviewer community page, perhaps nobody from Teamviewer is at all reading this forum !!!

Allow me to kindly disagree with you.  You may consider reading the whole thread before making such statements or assumptions...

There are at least 2 different staff members, namely @Scotty and @Julia, that have not only acknowledged the issue and reported it to their development teammates, but also provided us help to determine the root cause of the problem and then a temporary workaround in the form of a download link to the previous TeamViewer build for Mac, which didn't have this "audio ducking" issue.

All members of the community that have followed the advice to downgrade from build 12.0.78517 to 12.0.75813 are doing just great.

I'm pretty sure that the reason behind the link shared by @Julia no longer working is accidental and will probably be fixed / replaced soon enough.  You posted a link from an unverified external source which is similar to what @RoxTeddy has shared with us some weeks ago (see earlier posts).  You can use it if you want, but don't blame the guys at TeamViewer if you catch a virus or any sort of malware...

Anyhow, I'm just trying to say that a little patience goes a long way, particularly if you're using TeamViewer for your personnal use, e.g. for FREE.  I personnally believe it's an incredibly usefull piece of software that does what it was designed to do very efficiently.  Unfortunately, as it's the case with most programs, it isn't immune to bugs...  But I'm sure the issue that was reported in this forum has been duly noted, documented and sent to the development / maintenance team, and it will eventually be resolved in an upcoming build of TeamViewer.

No hard feelings !

Kind regards,

SkyLukeQc

• Zen
    Zen Posts: 3

Hi SkyLukeQc,

you are right some teammember posts a reply, but over 1 month to fix a bug wich is visible in 2 clicks ater starting a TV session.

Just for your info, the link I posted is the only I found after the "miss deletion" of the "official" link.

Just for your info.. I'm paying over 4000 € per year (due to nice new version every year that force us to be compatible with our customer and keep the latest version) the license to use it for busness and a not working audio is for us a big issue if I cannot skype with my clients during a remote session.

So I understand that you want to moderate the chat , but just considere that no offical download on the Teamviewer page: https://www.teamviewer.com/en/download/mac/ and no notice that latest version has a bug and keep customer the choice to decide what version they want is a Teamviewer misconsideration of their "Business" customer.

But because as first approach you mention that we use it for "Free" is the main point of view for Teamviewer and that they consider that the biggest part of user are non commercial, so the new release politic is set according this basic point of view..." why complain it's free.. be happy".

To be honnest I'm waiting since over a month 2 things. An new release fixing the Bug and an official download link to give the customer paying a licence a chance to use what they pay for in a decent time frame.

• SkyLukeQc

Hello @Zen,

I sincerely apologize.  After reading your reply, I realized that I made some statements and assumptions myself (!!) regarding the type of TeamViewer license(s) you have...  I must admit that I was wrong in doing so and I'm really sorry about that.

I now totally understand your frustration.  If I were a paying customer, and even more so if I had to pay that kind of money every year, you can be sure that I would CALL TeamViewer's Support and do my best to escalate this issue at the highest possible level.  Heck, if my own business depended on it, I'd certainly go even further (e.g. formal notice) to have this corrected as soon as possible...  Have you taken any of these steps yet ?

I also agree with you on the following : at least a set of earlier builds should be available for download on the support page of TeamViewer's website.  I can think of a million reasons (well, maybe only two or three actually) for someone wanting to install and use a specific version and build of TeamViewer rather than the latest and (not necessarily always) greatest.  You got my vote on that one !

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and frustration with us.  It added a new perspective to this thread.  And I apologize once again for making assumptions I shouldn't have.  I do feel a little "protective" of this product because I like it so much, but I may have overstepped a little bit this time around...

All the best !

SkyLukeQc

• Julia
    Julia Posts: 290 Staff member 🤠

Hi all,

The download link in my previous post should work again.

I will also post the link here:

Download previous Mac version

Julia
    Senior Support Engineer - 2nd level Support
    Did my reply answer your question? Accept it as a solution to help others.
    Find this helpful? Say thanks by clicking on the Thumbs Up button.
  • ed1
    ed1 Posts: 1

I also experienced this problem, my solution was to change the microphone and output devices in TV preferences. I set them to a Soundflower aggregate device, returning the audio to normal level.

This is useful if you don't need remote sound from your TV session. 

• SkyLukeQc

Thanks @ed1 !

This was indeed identified as a possible option / workaround in an earlier post to this thread.  Glad to read that it works out for you too !

Regards,

SkyLukeQc

• pplaisance
    pplaisance Posts: 6 ✭✭

Hi Julia:
    I can confirm that this version does not suffer from the issue with audio ducking during a remote control session for me.  Thank you for sticking with this issue and following through with an update.

• mizu5588
    mizu5588 Posts: 4

initially i had issue. But i went to preferences and changed to standard playback device and that seems to remedy. So may want to state somwehere that it needs to be set that way.

• Jayce
    Jayce Posts: 4 ✭✭

I can confirm too that the new update fixed the issue.

• Szienz
    Szienz Posts: 26 ✭✭

The waited for confirmation that an update would fix the sound issue and just installed a higher number: 12.0.80984.

The mute sound issue is indeed solved but it is now a different effect: as soon as yoy start TV, the sound is set to max volume. Less annoying as one can just turn the sound a bit lower, but still there is some interference with the sound settings.

This is on mac OSX 10.12.6

• terzo
    terzo Posts: 2

I am still having the issue even after updating. I tried to change the speakers and microphone settings to standard playback device and standard recording device, but they revert back on their own. 

The version I have is 12.0.80984 with a business license running on macOS 10.12.6

• SkyLukeQc

Hi @Julia !

Thank you very much for keeping us on the loop and notify us about the new TeamVierwer's release that should resolve the issue.

I'll give it a try as soon as possible and add my comments to this thread shortly after.

Kind regards,

SkyLukeQc

• SkyLukeQc

Hi @mizu5588,

Indeed, if any device other than the "standard playback device", or even the "built-in output" in my case (as I'm currently using a pair of USB headphones to play music on my Mac while controlling another computer through TeamViewer) is selected in the Audio (Conference Call) preferences, the audio ducking still occurs, which may well be the desired effect.  

In other words, if the device you're currently using to, say, listening to music is also the selected device for Audio Conferencing in TV, audio ducking will occur.  If you select a different device, then no ducking occurs.  If you select the "standard playback device", even if this standard device is actaully the same as the one you're listening music on, no ducking will occur either, and I believe this last part is what has been fixed.

Note that these are only my early conclusions to the tests I've been running so far .

Thank you very much for your contribution to this thread !!

Kind regards,

SkyLukeQc

• SkyLukeQc

Hi @Szienz,

I think I'm also able to reproduce this new behavior, but I'm not sure yet what "sound output device" combinations (macOS Sound settings vs TeamViewer's Audio (Conference Call) settings) lead to this volume boosting effect...

I'll try to spend some more time on this later today.

Thank you very much for your contribution to this thread !!

Kind regards,

SkyLukeQc

• SkyLukeQc

Hi @terzo,

Have you tried uninstalling TeamViewer completely before reinstalling the latest released version ?

If you'd like to give this a try to see if it would solve the problem at your end, make sure to use TeamViewer's Preferences > Advanced > Uninstall, not simply moving TV's app into the Trash.

Let us know if this helped !

Kind regards,

SkyLukeQc

• Szienz

@SkyLukeQc

This is just the basic laptop audio that goes up (with or without headphones,  TV audio was off )

• terzo
    terzo Posts: 2

@SkyLukeQc wrote:

Hi @terzo,

Have you tried uninstalling TeamViewer completely before reinstalling the latest released version ?

If you'd like to give this a try to see if it would solve the problem at your end, make sure to use TeamViewer's Preferences > Advanced > Uninstall, not simply moving TV's app into the Trash.

Let us know if this helped !

Kind regards,

SkyLukeQc

I think that helped. I will report back if I run into the issue again.

Thanks!

• SkyLukeQc

Hi @terzo,

Very glad to read that !!  :smileyvery-happy:

As I'm on holiday right now, I didn't yet have time to run extensive tests using the new release of TeamViewer, but it does seem there are still some small glitches with the audio settings (as first reported by @Szienz) when connecting to a remote computer or simply opening the Preferences... > Audio settings, except now it isn't audio ducking anymore, but some kind of "audio boosting" (the selected device's volume is increased to 100% from whatever value it was set to before connecting to a remote computer or accessing the audio settings, depending on the selected device...), which could be harmful in some situations (sound too loud when wearing headphones, for example...).

I'll make sure to investigate this further in the upcoming days and keep you all posted.  I may open a new thread to report this new issue, as it is different from the one in the current thread's title / subject.

Many thanks to everyone that have participated to this thread !  Together, we can help making TeamViewer better and better !

Kind regards,

SkyLukeQc

• SkyLukeQc

Thanks @Szienz !

I'll run some more tests as soon as I'll get the chance and share my findings with you all.

Kind regards,

SkyLukeQc

• Szienz

OK SkyLuc, I will wait for any solution. Let me know if I need to test a beta.

It occurs when I open TV, but also when I reset volume to a normal, every time I then open a remote connection it is reset to max volume and I need to lower it again. It blew up an old headphone (or this could be a coincidence :-), but it does hurt my ears indeed so any fix will be welcomed.

• SkyLukeQc

Hi @Szienz,

Just to be clear, I'm not part of TeamViewer support nor development team, I'm just a regular user who happens to like this software very very much.  But I'll do whatever I can to help !!

@Julia, please advise what would be the best course of action to report this new (but related to the former) issue : continue writing in this thread or start a new one.  Whatever works best for you guys at TeamViewer to receive the required attention !  :smileywink:

I'll get back with my test results as soon as possible (e.g. sometime later this week).

Regards,

SkyLukeQc

• Szienz

My mistake, I thought you were TV employee.
    We''ll wait and see when the fix comes in.

• Szienz

Installed the latest update 12.0.81460 but this version did not solve the max sound issue.