black screen on host after disconnecting

Hello, all! I have tried searching the knowledge base but it seems like nobody else here has experienced this issue. Whenever I disconnect from my (win 7) desktop computer after connecting from my laptop, the desktop display goes black and the computer becomes unresponsive until restarted.

Tagged:

Comments

• DomLan
    DomLan Posts: 490 ⭐Star⭐

Hi @GF

Check if you have special settings for energy saving options. Check if time limits are set before the pc goes off-line: the fact that you turn on the monitor causes the PC to wake up from the suspend state and may hesitate to think that the problem is connected to the monitor shutdown.

Hope this help

Regards

Domenico Langone

MCSD: App Builder

• Mrqozy
    Mrqozy Posts: 2
    I have the same problem and I have to say your reply is UTTERLY USELESS.
    worst tech support reply I have seen.
  • Mrqozy
    Mrqozy Posts: 2
    I still stick with my previous idea about your "help"
    For future reference for others:
    The problem is turning off the screen.
    When you turn of the screen you will have this black screen issues.
    While it's on you won't.
    It's weird because a year ago while I was using team viewer I could turn off my screen and still see it using my phone as a remote device (controls the pc)

So my solution was to always keep the screen on and disable sleep and turn off screen settings in power options.
    But it's really annoying when I sleep so I set my monitor to a custom profile with contrast, Gama, brightness and colors all to zero using Nvidia control panel
    That way I will have almost completely dark screen
    If someone knows how to fix this without my work around please tag me :)
  • I got the same problem right now. I use teamviewer for years, and I just change my GPU to 1070ti and it happens. When I switch off the monitor and leave home and remote at company. Some apps are invisible while some are normal. The root cause is the nvidia control panel cannot detect the monitor, so that all screen resolution are wrong(it seems that it cannot detect my GPU) . And once I asked my brother to swith on the monitor, everything go normal.

• PierreLemaux
    PierreLemaux Posts: 5 ✭✭

Same problem here with multiple dell workstations and differents quadro cards. It was not like that a few month ago.

• Szafran
    Szafran Posts: 2 ✭✭

Same here. GTX 1080 Ti - when monitor turned off TV says that I have 2 monitors connected and both of them are giving a black screen. Turning monitor on fixes the issue. A "bit" of frustration on a always on machine (with monitor 99% of the time turned off).

• fusionneur
    fusionneur Posts: 1
    i managed to fix it like this: 1. connect to teamviewer 2. Go on Actions > Lock > sign out on remote computer 3. View > Screen Resolution > changed from 1080 to 480 4. login 5. View > Screen Resolution > changed from 480 back to 1080 Voila! You have teamviewer access without a monitor plugged in.
  • superking
    superking Posts: 1

I have found the solution.

Beacuse the newest GPU card has no VGA port, and if there is no monitor connected to HDMI or DP,  the graphics card will not work.

So you can buy a Display cheat which conntected to HDMI, It's mini and only $2 in taobao.com,  then the graphics card will work correctly.

• Gry20r
    Gry20r Posts: 1

Hardware acceleration is the problem. Windows and AMD/NV/Intel are "faulty".

Modern GPUs or iGPUs have hardware acceleration default activated.

If activated, anything that requires HA will be processed by the GPU/iGPU, if monitor is shut down or not plugged, the GPU/iGPU will process it but not display it, probably for energy savings or such purposes. That's why there is a "black screen." Teamviewer "connects" itself behind the GPU.

In this messy OS that is windows, sometimes graphic elements are hardware accelerated, sometimes not .Windows new modern panels, some windows drop down menus, right click drop down menu and so on are concerned and could not be displayed in TV, they are active, receiving the clicks, just not displayed.

Solution could only be applied on the host machine as windows 10 uses transparency for its new control nice transparent panels, thus is it harware accelerated, thus not displayed, and it gives no way to disable the thing.

The solution above is a good workaround for a few minutes, the GPU upon login is reactivated, but after a while, it sees that nothing is plugged on the HDMI/DVI, and goes in "sleep" mode.

Workaround 1: use the command line, or create a script to activate/disactivate HA on the fly.

Workaround 2 : disable HA definitively on the host.

Workaround 3 : a bit tricky, but if the app you needs does not use HA, you could search it and open it, try too use "select single window" instead of "show whole desktop" to display it, and guess where it is on the screen to click on and see it.

Workaround 4 : use VGA standard driver to bypass AMD/NV/Intel drivers, or use a dummy plug.

Workaround 5 : TeamViewer team has to create the option to remote disable harware accel.

So far, I have found some things that could be displayed, I kept on switching quickly between "Select single window" and "show whole desktop" to click through, tricky.

Explorer windows are displayed, but not its drop down menus...

CMD.exe app is displayed and could be found through explorer

Some old windows 7 control panels could be found in /windows/system32 and opened through explorer

Desktop could be visible if selected as a single window

• This worked great! thanks so much
  • doggiejun
    doggiejun Posts: 3
    I bought a hdmi cheat.it is normal.
    But i found a new problem.
    The computer boot screen is not displayed, only the system startup screen is displayed.
  • jpmay
    jpmay Posts: 1

This is a real problem, which seems to happen with

- recent Windows versions

- recent nVidia cards

TeamViewer appear to have not yet addressed the problem.

To repro the problem, simply run any PC headless.

Just unplug the monitor. 

TeamViewer now doesn't work. One of the main uses of TeamViewer is of course .. connecting to servers.

It now no longger works when

- connecting to servers

- connecting to anything with no monitor

- connecting when your monitor happens to be disconnected or powered-off

This is a blockbuster problem for TeamViewer, as of late 2018, sadly.

• I have this problem with AMD and Nvidia graphics cards on Windows 10 Pro with October update. I have two computers hooked to one monitor, one via Display Port and another via mini DP. I swich to one computer or the other via monitor buttons. Previously I has able to access both systems with teamviewer, even if the monitor was not set for that system. Now, I see a black screen on the computer that is not connected to the monitor.

Toggling the display quality on Teamviewer while connected to the computer did bring the desktop up. But as reported by some users, some applications don't show no matter what I do. One of them is Resilio Sync. While other such as Word do. I haven't done a thorough test on all of the applications I use but I will update this post if more application don't work. 

• Teamviewer uses the output of the grapics card and so if you don't have a display connected the grapics card will not display anything.

You can fix the issue by connect a display and turning it on but obviously this is not what you want if I'm right.

But you can fool the graphics card so it "thinks" there is a display connected.
    To do this you need a VGA ghost plug or known as dummy plug.
    To buy one  just search for VGA Dummy Plug.

VGA Dummy PlugVGA Dummy Plug
    Or if you need it NOW and you can't wait then just use some 75 ohm resistors.

fszpk2vw50ek.jpg1.jpg
    In theory you need 3 resistors however for me it did work with only 1 piece. I just inserted it directly to the output display port.

DSC09137.jpg

Hope it helps some :)

• Teamviewer uses the output of the grapics card and so if you don't have a display connected the grapics card will not display anything.

You can fix the issue by connect a display and turning it on but obviously this is not what you want if I'm right.

But you can fool the graphics card so it "thinks" there is a display connected.
    To do this you need a VGA ghost plug or known as dummy plug.
    To buy one  just search for VGA Dummy Plug.

VGA Dummy PlugVGA Dummy Plug
    Or if you need it NOW and you can't wait then just use some 75 ohm resistors.

fszpk2vw50ek.jpg1.jpg
    In theory you need 3 resistors however for me it did work with only 1 piece. I just inserted it directly to the output display port.

DSC09137.jpg

Hope it helps some :)

• Queek
    Queek Posts: 1

I had the same problem with two PCs after the win 10 update on ver.1903.
    I tried everything - without results (except for the GPU / VGA Dummy Plug).

Finally resolved:
    1. it was necessary to cancel the quick startup of WIN10, then it was possible to start - get into the BIOS.
    2. in BIOS simply - load defaut settings, save & close BIOS
    problem resolved after restart.

• Szafran
    Szafran Posts: 2 ✭✭

I've found even simpler solution... moved to **Third Party Product** - much, much, much better experience. No problems with black screens, not being able to connect to login screen (even when configured properly) etc.

• Replying to Photon...

You got my hopes up there for a minute... this works as long as you have physical access to the remote computer to turn the monitor on and off while implementing this solution. Trouble is, next time you connect you're back to square one. If you don't have physical access to the remote computer then you can't follow these steps, and since the whole point of TV is to connect to a remote computer that you don't have physical access to, it makes this solution kinda redundant. Thanks for posting anyway :)