CAPS Key Control

On several occasions where I have been installing software on a client's computer by remote access, I have encountered a problem where their keyboard is in CapsLock mode & my keyboard will not unlock this so that I can type in lower case.  Thus, passwords requested by the installation are incorre3ct & I am not able to continue.  Is there a Hot Keystroke, or some other method I can use to disable the CapsLock on the remote computer?

Comments

• JedenTag
    JedenTag Posts: 38 ✭✭

Is the remote computer running Windows?

Most of the time I have found that my local keyboard is the one that is accurate. The remote CAPS may be on, but I am sending lower case. If you need to toggle CAPS on a Windows computer you could try running a short script on the remote computer.

https://ss64.com/vb/sendkeys.html

caps_vbs.PNG

• mrmagoo10
    mrmagoo10 Posts: 5 ✭✭

The problem with typing passwords remotely is that they are usually starred out ****  so you can't see what is being typed.

Could you please explain how to execute this script from my computer to the remote.  Is it through command prompt on the remote computer?  Yes - it is Windows applications always.  Many thanks for the reply.

• JedenTag

On the remote computer, open notepad and type. This will show you if CAPS is on or off. Try toggleing CAPS on your keyboard to see how the letters change when you type on the remote computer.

The script mentioned above would need to be created on the remote compter, and run on the remote compter.

• mrmagoo10

I guess I should have offered more information initially.  As I was typing the password in remote computer, it was telling me that Caps Key was on.  Attempts by me to clear that condition from my keyboard didn't seem to be working.  Thus I was asking for a solution to work around this issue.  Both computers are W7 or W10 depending on who I am remoting into.  Mine being W10.  Thanks for the replies & I'll try your script the next time I encounter this. 

• mrmagoo10

Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    WshShell.SendKeys "{CAPSLOCK}"

I have pasted your script above & have a few questions.  In your original posting your 0 in Object appears to be a number, is this correct?  Also, should I execute this as a full line of input or in 2 segments?  I am not up to speed on command prompt formatting & commands.  I tried running this as Admin but nothing happened.  It did not disable my own Caps Lock.  So sorry for being a pain but this is how we learn!

• JedenTag

We have wandered away from general TeamViewer use ....

If you are at a Windows login screen, you will not be able to execute a script on the remote computer. But I don't think you will need to. In my experience, if my Caps Lock is OFF, even if the remote Caps Lock is on, I type passwords normally to log in.

As for the script, that is a letter "o" in object. Not a zero. I used a pic instead of pasting the text because I'm not sure if there are any rules about posting code snippets. In your text, there is a "space" that doesn't belong in the middle of WScript.CreateObject

For practice on your own computer.

• Make a new txt document and rename it Caps.vbs Make sure the extension changes from .txt to .vbs or this won't work.
    • Edit the document so it contains the code from above and save.
    • If everything was done correctly, double-clicking Caps.vbs will toggle your Caps Lock on and off.

Good luck.

• bigkevin
    bigkevin Posts: 2 ✭✭

The Script below will not work if the remote computer has a wireless keyboard

Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    WshShell.SendKeys "{CAPSLOCK}"

• Ogg
    Ogg Posts: 1
    Brilliant! I had no idea that "osk" was even available. Thank you so much!
  • So, there's apparently still no fix for this at a Windows login screen.  You cannot run scripts or open programs until you're logged in. Why is there not a virtual keyboard attached to Teamviewer itself?

I have encountered this issue too, and it is extremely frustrating. The only fix I've found is none at all. I have to get a physical keyboard attached to the remote computer and have someone turn off Caps Lock at the remote location.

• BigDaddyD
    BigDaddyD Posts: 1

I had no idea I could use a OSK.  Great find.

• infor_crystal
    infor_crystal Posts: 1

Best answer, 10 seconds to solve :D

@1441Admin wrote:

What I do is simpler. I run the on screen keyboard and then turn off caps lock.

Win+r | osk | Enter