Display brightness function lost after install of monitor driver

2»

Answers

• stan1
    stan1 Posts: 7
    Thanks for the suggestion.
  • Have you tried the solution posted by @dedicado? It takes about 10 seconds, and it instantly worked for me. My wife's Dell Inspiron laptop acquired this issue, probably associated with Teamviewer. But after days of troubleshooting agony, the fix was simple 

"In the Device Manager ... under Monitors > PnP Monitor (or a slight variation) select "Update Driver" > Browse my Computer > Let me pick: There are 2 options... The driver causing the issue is called "PnP-Monitor (Standard)". I selected the other option: "Generic PnP Monitor"

That fixed it for me, and as far as I can tell, Teamviewer still works normally.

• stan1
    I'll give it a try. Thanks!!
  • iTeks
    iTeks Posts: 3 ✭✭

I tried that fix on a different system and it didn't work for me so I gave up on this fix

sounds as though the fix may be systemn dependent - I'll try it on the next system I experience this problem

thanks

• stan1
    Thank you!!
  • Gerardv514
    Gerardv514 Posts: 7 ✭✭
    Don’t forget to click “Me too” on the initial post if you have or have seen this issue. The more of a count the more this shows how big of an issue this is. We’re also coming up on the 1 year anniversary of this topic coming up and still no update or word on TeamViewer.

Wondering if their paid subscribers have the same issue and has it been report through those channels. I wouldn’t be too happy if I were them.
  • Yes, I can confirm that paid subscription members have the same issue. :-(

• While there is no other resolution otherwise at this time to repair this problem, the only true solution remains the sole responsibility of the developers to fix with this particularly fault-prone file within an otherwise epic application... We can only hope the TV devs won't leave us waiting for the attention to this flaw. :smileyindifferent:

• stan1

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it.

Stan

• Let me bump too this issue, that I just encountered.

I took me a lot of time to figure it out (and I had luck, I could have not figured it out).

Fixing it was more complicated than only uninstalling the monitor driver. I also had to go to the Device Manager, and "uninstall" the monitor, checking the box so that the driver files are deleted, so that the monitor is then reinstalled with the generic driver.

Considering that the issue is really not straightforward to find out and to solve, and that according to your community manager above, you already fixed the issue internally, that's more than a year since the initial report, and that it can make people lose a lot of time, will you please consider publishing the fix? Thanks.

• I can't uninstall the driver, it just keeps being installed, no way to remove it via the app or windows native utilities.

• stan1

I opened device manager and deleted the monitor. Worked for me.

• Erwin1234
    Erwin1234 Posts: 3

I have the same problem with TeamViewer 14.2.8352.  However in settings the display driver does not list as installed while in device manager the driver is clearly installed. There is a warning from Windows 10 in the properties of the TeamViewer driver PnP-Monitor (Standard):

Windows cannot verify the digital signature for the drivers required for this device. A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged, or that might be malicious software from an unknown source. (Code 52)

In admin mode I can replace the TeamViewer driver with the generic pnp driver of Windows. I can then install the teamviewer driver via advanced settings, but this fails with an error message. However the TeamViewer drivers actually are installed again!

I removed TeamViewer completely. Now display driver is restored and all works again.

• Rapier
    Rapier Posts: 1

So...after 3 years and 3 major TeamViewer versions this issue is still present. What can I say...GREAT

The point is, this IS NOT a solution and not even a workaround as it does not allow the usage of certain TeamViewer functions. It is just a way to bring back a functionality of the device (the brightness slider or whatever).

More anoying is the fact that using this "install video driver" was the only way I could find to WATCH Netflix (or other protected content) via a TeamViewer session. Without this driver, the Netflix shows just the main window and the preview of the movies but as soon as you actually start watching a movie, you get just a black screen with only the subtitles visible and the audio. The downside to this is that the computer you're remote controlling, will not have the brightness slider working anymore.

Maybe you could do something about this finally? I mean..it's been THREE years since it's reported and you had THREE major versions meanwhile. C'mon...

Thank you for...reading at leas.

• pcmobilehelp
    pcmobilehelp Posts: 2 ✭✭

The blank screen driver has been interfering with brightness control since version 9 for sure, and I suspect this must have been a bug ever since the blank screen feature was originally added to TeamViewer.

Compare this with the note from the TeamViewer Community Manager in June of 2017:

To answer the other question: It is enough, if you just post the topic with your findings since we are reading all posts in our Community :-) And so we check all reported issues with our support and devs.

So it is safe to assume (if we trust the community manager) that this has been checked and reported with support and developers.

Would it be too much to ask to at least hear back from the devs on the status of this ticket?

Was the bug by design?

Was the bug acknowledged and swept under the rug?

Did the devs at least try to fix the bug and found out that it is too difficult for them to fix it?

• Abhaypatial
    Abhaypatial Posts: 1

@TeamViewer this issue is Known since 2017 and in 2021 its still not fixed ???

@Esther