Enable Clipboard Synchronization causes Excel to Crash

I can't have the "Enable Clipboard Synchronization" setting enabled all the time because it causes Excel to crash. 

Because of this, I generally leave it turned off.  When I absolutely have to copy and paste things between machines, I'll temporarily turn it on, do the copy paste and turn it off again.  Except you can't reset this setting during a session.  Which means I have to close TeamViewer, go to extras --> options --> advanced --> show advanced options --> enable clipboard synchronization, reopen TeamViewer, do my copy and paste, close TeamViewer, go back to extras --> options --> advanced --> show advanced options --> disable clipboard synchronization and finally reopen TeamViewer again.  Which is a lot of steps to do a simple copy and paste.

Something needs to be fixed here.  Either the issue that causes Excel to crash needs to be addressed, or they need to implement a quick way to enable/diable synchronization (without a five step process to turn it on and then another five step process to turn it off again).

Comments

• Chiron
    Chiron Posts: 229 ✭✭

I am curious to know some more of the details.

• What version of Excel\Office?
    • What version of Windows?
    • Is Excel running on one or both computers?
    • Does Excel crash when you try to use the clipboard, or does just having sync enabled make it crash?
    • What are you copying? Plain text or does it include cell formatting?
    • Have you had this problem on multiple computers?
    • Have you had Excel crash without TeamViewer being used?

I don't work for TeamViewer. I'm just a user.
  • BryanD
    BryanD Posts: 2

I'm running Office365/Excel 2016 on Windows 7 Professional.  The issue happens when my local computer is running Excel, regardless of whether the remote machine is or not.  The crash isn't necessarily triggered at the moment I do the copy and paste.  The longer I have excel open the more sluggish and buggy it seems until it eventually crashes.  So just having sync enabled seems to be enough to trigger it.  I'm usually copying things from excel, which by default includes cell formatting.  I only have one local computer and one remote, so I haven't had the issue on multiple machines.  However I did find another thread online where other people have been complaining about the same issue so it doesn't seem limited to my particular machine (http://teamviewerforums.com/index.php?topic=2804.0).  The last time I've had Excel crash (prior to my recent switch to TeamViewer) was several years ago and was related to an issue with a specific file (which isn't involved with the current issues).

• Chiron
    Chiron Posts: 229 ✭✭

I did a quick test (different specifics) and I was not able to get Excel to crash. I did have some trouble getting copy\paste to work across machines. Took a little practice.

Excel seems to clear the clipboard if you double-click a cell and begin to enter data. And TeamViewer doesn't over-write the clipboard, it will only sync if the clipboard is empty. At least that's how it appears in my scenario. 

Let us know if you find a solution or a work around!

I tested with the following:

• Windows 10, 1703, build 15063.632
    • Microsoft Office 365 ProPlus 16.0.8201.2193
    • TeamViewer 12.0.83369 - corporate license
    I don't work for TeamViewer. I'm just a user.
  • oliwe
    oliwe Posts: 1

I have the same problem.

Up to-date Office 365  and TeamViewer, Win 10 FCU.

Working with large excel files (e.g. copying more than 1000 rows) leads to an excel and teamviewer crash if clipboard sync is enabled in teamviewer!

• Same here. We have been experiencing this issue for a couple of years. With some combinations it works stable, with others less stable. The crash is also not always reproducable.

Also we have observed that TeamViewer itself sometimes hangs, when copying simple cells from Excel (text, like usernames). This is easier to reproduce if the line speed is slow.

It's a real pain!

• Draz
    Draz Posts: 2

This has been issue for me for a long time now tunning TV on Mac. It does not happen always but it is a mayor problem because it would crash the hosts TV service. It would then be impossible to connect to the remote host which is especially a problem since most of our hosts are remote servers. The host sevice becomes unresponsive as well as the application I pasted into.

It is possible to force-quit it and TV comes right back up. The application I pasted in also comes back to life.

• Draz
    Draz Posts: 2

@Drazwrote:

This has been issue for me for a long time now tunning TV on Mac. It does not happen always but it is a mayor problem because it would crash the hosts TV service. It would then be impossible to connect to the remote host which is especially a problem since most of our hosts are remote servers. The host sevice becomes unresponsive as well as the application I pasted into.

It is possible to force-quit it and TV comes right back up. The application I pasted in also comes back to life.

To make it clear, I do not lose the connection, just the host service on the remote computer is crashed

• ctouf1
    ctouf1 Posts: 1

I have the same problem after upgrading to TeamViewer 13 and a paid subscription. I use Teamviewer to connect with my office PC from home. I am working with big multiply Excel files  in my office Pc, where i need very frequently to copy cells (from 1 to 1000s). On every copy Teamviewer is delaying significantly, obviously for clipboard synchronization (that i don't need) and very frequently Excel is crashing in the office causing me to loose data and much of my precious time to restore the files. If i work locally without Teamvier on, there are no delays or Excel crashes.The same problem was in previous TeamViewer version but i have solved it, by disabling clipboard synchronization. On  TeamViewer 13 there is no such option (as far as i understand). I am using latest MS office, Windows 8.1 pro in the offices, Windows 7 pro at home.

So the new version is worst and i cannot work although i have paid 1 year subscription. What should i do?

• scatudal
    scatudal Posts: 2 ✭✭

Running into this issue as well, trying to copy a MAC Table from a switch on the remote computer to my local excel for a report. So i decided to investigate further and ran into this post.

Remote system : Up to date Windows 10, not running office

Local System : Up to date Windows 10, Running Office365 ProPlus build 1803

Both system running TeamViewer 14.1.3399

During my testing, i noticed it's not a crash per say, rather a freeze. If i copy only a single MAC address (12 Digits). Excel will freeze for a minute or so. But if i copy the entire switch mac table (about 30 lines, with port details) then it seems to be way longuer (right now it's been frozen for the past 30 minutes. I'm not killing it as i suspect it will eventually go through). But seriously... who waits over 30minutes for a simple copy/paste of text...

Seems to be only with excel, if i copy the same text, paste it into a local notepad it goes through right away.

• bubbu
    bubbu Posts: 2

Please try this:

dowload an older version of Teamviewer, I founded Teamviewer 8 in my pc, install it in the pc in which you have the excel crash problem and try to do the same things, with or without the clipboard synchronization. I solved my problem.

BUT: I don't know why, but Teamviewer want me to update to the newer version and it seems to me that the older versions will work only for 3 months by now. So, I ask to the community to solv the problem of the new version OR to maintein the old version. Thanks in advance!

• Excel seems to clear the clipboard if you double-click a cell and begin to enter data. And TeamViewer doesn't over-write the clipboard, it will only sync if the clipboard is empty. At least that's how it appears in my scenario. 

• bubbu
    bubbu Posts: 2

Hello Harold, the problem is the crash of Excel or sometimes Excel freezes.

What I founded is that with the TeamViewer8 the problem is SOLVED. I don't understand if you have the crash problem or not. I solved the problem in two different notebook with the same crash problem. So I think that the problem could be in the newer version of TeamViewer. If someone have the same problem, please try to use an older version and, please, tell to everybody if the problem is solved. I'd like to know if I am the only one!

• kecelifu
    kecelifu Posts: 1

I have the same problems, I have been having it for a while. On MacOS Monterey and Office 365.

After 6 years this was first brought up, still a problem.